all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Dry Fighting Weight : Next Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi guys,

Apologies in advance if this has been answered or, more likely, if I'm just splitting hairs/concerning myself with minutia here.

When Geoff says don't let it become a metcon, is there a ballpark figure for what your heart rate should be or any other kind of "test" to verify when you're ready to go? I know a lot of it is down to intuition/experience or whatever you want to call it but I'm just curious.

For context, I just completed week 1 with a pair of 24s.

On day 1, I got 5 ladders (1, 2, 3) for a total of 30 reps. This was probably the hardest day (more so due to a couple of bottles of beer the night before, I think).

On day 2, I got 26 singles.

On day 3, I got 17 sets of 2 for a total of 30 reps.

Every day felt pretty good and I would also say it got easier with every day. Day 1 was the toughest; I tried to leave a LOT in the tank on day 2, and I felt great on day 3 so I pushed it a bit more while still trying to leave some in the tank. I would confidently say that there wasn't a single grinder on any of the days, but I'm just wondering what a realistic goal would be while staying within the half hour and not venturing towards metcon (hence my question).

FYI I completed my squats immediately after my C&P just for ease of counting. They always felt easy throughout.

Thanks in advance.
I’m doing it now with heavier weight than my first time. The cue in the article is “rep speed”: if the lift slows down, you didn’t rest enough and should add :30 or another several breaths before the next set.

Last time I supersetted with front squats. This time I don’t, and it really helps the heart rate both not go too high, but also stay moderately elevated throughout. At the end of the 30:00 my muscles aren’t fatigued but I’m sweating...but not sucking wind, and not sore the next day. So I think that’s the idea.

Thanks, @Mirek I like Geoff's programs and may try this, but I have a lot to get through with Double Kettlebell manifesto, which i am also enjoying.

@MC88 , @Sean M has good cues from the program.

It's really hard to fight the impulse to pile on more reps, but as I read it, the explosiveness is what's called for, not grinds. You need to err on the side of less reps, done more explosively, which is hard, I know. I did improve my testing quite a bit, and was set up nicely for more double kettlebell work, so the benefits are real. Good luck!

@Sean M

Thanks for that!

I definitely agree with your summary in that, on all of the days I've trained so far, I'm sweating, with a slightly elevated heart rate although definitely not fatigued immediately after or sore the next day.

I will try not supersetting the two lifts and see how that makes it feel.

I love the idea of keeping the reps explosive but find it really hard to be objective and not strive for more sets/reps in the same amount of time. Perhaps videoing a few of my sets will help determine just how explosive they really are.

@MarkSch How did your testing improve? I've never "maxed out" on the double 24's but for the first half of the year I was doing a kind of Easy Strength protocol and pressing them for 2 fairly easy sets of 5 every day. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say my rep max with the 24's would be in the 8-10 range.

Thanks for the help, guys!

@MC88

Here's the summary from my training log--you can also click it in my signature line ( end shameless plug.....)
Good luck! As others have said, it's a good program. I would go back to it with 2x28 (32?!?) when I get through my other cycles.

Day Fourteen, Week 5 5/30/2018

The Gripping Conclusion: Testing and Final Results

Weight Used: 2x24 KB bells

Starting Rep Maximums:

Umm, I don't really know. I did not rep out to begin the program. D'oh! However, looking back over my previous training, mainly Total Tension Complex, these seem a good approximation for 2x24K:
C&P Initial Max: 6-7
FS Initial Max: 6-7

C&P Final Max : 10 reps
FS Final Max : 12 reps
Military Press Test, extra for fun (only one intial clean) : 10 reps

Results:

177 pounds (80.25 KG) , a gain of 2 pounds (about a KG). I have no idea if body composition changed.
I feel tighter and more solid all over, especially in the chest, shoulders, and quads
Strength and confidence gains (see below)
I look like a dumpy 52-year old office worker....which is accurate if not quite my mental self-image. Before and after pictures would have been good, but probably would not show much difference.
To be fair, I did not change my diet much if at all, and indulged myself in beer and picnic food over Memorial Day, at the end of the program.

Thoughts:

-This is a good program! Focusing on two movements with this load pattern and pacing was interesting.
-Daily reps went up fairly steadily, and my maximum reps went up satisfactorily too, I think (?)
-I might have squeezed out another rep or two in testing, but I was being careful about good form and safety. It was a challenge.
-I'm much more confident with 2X24 than I was before, so I am mentally and physically stronger as a result. About the only thing that worry me are double snatches: were I to test SFG, I'd only have to do 20K based on my age.

Bottom line:

As a short, sharp change of pace, I'd recommend Dry Fighting Weight to anyone.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom