all posts post new thread

Eating or not eating before I train ( I train in the evening)

Livio Hans

First Post
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Warrior Diet but I've been doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 years.
My main question is:
Is it better to eat something before I train ? (I train at 5-6 pm and stop eating at 9-10 pm)

I've read that Ori talks about underfeeding window with raw fruits and veggies and feeding window with more cooked macros.
I've also read that when training under a fasted state, the quality of the muscles gets better.
Ori also says that WHEY protein is good. Before I use to drink a shake of whey protein with Banana before training.

My goal is to be strong and healthy :)

Also, do you pay attention at the glycemic index of the fruits you consume ? Should I aim for lower glycemic index to trigger less my insuline ?

Thanks in advance for your time !

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Warrior Diet but I've been doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 years.
My main question is:
Is it better to eat something before I train ? (I train at 5-6 pm and stop eating at 9-10 pm)

I've read that Ori talks about underfeeding window with raw fruits and veggies and feeding window with more cooked macros.
I've also read that when training under a fasted state, the quality of the muscles gets better.
Ori also says that WHEY protein is good. Before I use to drink a shake of whey protein with Banana before training.

My goal is to be strong and healthy :)

Also, do you pay attention at the glycemic index of the fruits you consume ? Should I aim for lower glycemic index to trigger less my insuline ?

Thanks in advance for your time !
Hey. I've worked with Ori Hofmekler in the past and talk to him often so maybe I can help you out.

The decision whether to eat something before training is up to you. If your goal isn't hypertrophy or getting as strong as possible, I wouldn't eat anything. Maybe a bit of caffeine but not much more. This is mainly because your eating window is so close to the time you workout, I wouldn't want to feel pressured to cram so much eating in. Keep it simple and sustainable. This may not be the answer you're looking for but most importantly use your intuition. What makes the most sense to you and leaves you feeling strong?

The Warrior Diet can be used in multiple ways :
  • Fasting
    • Zero Calorie Caffeinated Drinks
      • Coffee
      • Tea
      • Zero Calorie Energy Drinks
  • Under-Eating
    • Small Amounts of Fruits
    • Small Amounts of Protein (20 - 30 grams protein per Meal)
      • Non-Fat Yogurt
      • Handful of Nuts
      • Whey Protein
    • Vegetables
  • Pulse-Feeding
    • Frequent Small Protein Meals (2 to 4 hours)
      • Whey Protein
      • Non-Fat Yogurt
    • Small Amounts of Fruit with the Protein
    • Small Amount of Vegetables
About the fruit, I used to pay attention to the glycemic index of the fruits but decided the effort wasn't worth it. Just have a small amount of any fruit without making it overly complicated.

I do want some more information though about you :
  1. Are you active during the day? Active job etc.
  2. What kind of eating or lack thereof are you doing during the day?
  3. What is your overeating/main meal looking like?

Thank you all for your answers ! Very interesting :) I'm trying both actually. I will s
Hey. I've worked with Ori Hofmekler in the past and talk to him often so maybe I can help you out.

The decision whether to eat something before training is up to you. If your goal isn't hypertrophy or getting as strong as possible, I wouldn't eat anything. Maybe a bit of caffeine but not much more. This is mainly because your eating window is so close to the time you workout, I wouldn't want to feel pressured to cram so much eating in. Keep it simple and sustainable. This may not be the answer you're looking for but most importantly use your intuition. What makes the most sense to you and leaves you feeling strong?

• Fasting
      • Coffee
      • Tea
  • Under-Eating
      • Non-Fat Yogurt
      • Handful of Nuts
      • Whey Protein
    • Vegetables
  • Pulse-Feeding
      • Whey Protein
      • Non-Fat Yogurt
About the fruit, I used to pay attention to the glycemic index of the fruits but decided the effort wasn't worth it. Just have a small amount of any fruit without making it overly complicated.

Hey Adam, thank you for your answer. Very well written :)

• Fasting
      • Coffee
      • Tea
  • Under-Eating
      • Non-Fat Yogurt
      • Handful of Nuts
      • Whey Protein
    • Vegetables
  • Pulse-Feeding
      • Whey Protein
      • Non-Fat Yogurt

1. I'm videographer so it depends but 1 day of filming for 4 days editing I would say.
2. At the moment I'm either eating some nuts, a fruit and a whey shake 30 minutes before training at 5-6 pm and then after my workout a full big meal at 9pm or either not eating at all before training and only eating after.
3. My main meal starts with some raw vegetables (carrots, red beetroot, celeriac, some nuts or almonds then a soup of veggies with sweet potato being part of the soup (mixed) and then eggs with potatoes or lentils or other unrefined carb. For dessert I eat an apple, a pear and a banana with almond and hazelnut butter. Sometimes I feel a little bit bloated after this but my workouts are pretty intense :)

Back
Top Bottom