all posts post new thread

Fasting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Starting day 5 of fasting. I had some fish oil, ginseng and super green powder during the day. I did couple of short walks, about 1/2 hour in total.

Begin day 1 of water fasting. Yesterday I broke my last fast with two large meals in the early morning and afternoon. So that was only a 7 day fast. Start all over again. For some reason, I cannot go further than 7 days. I hope this time I can go pass that day. I did couple of walks, about 1 hour in total.

I'm sure you both can agree that long fasts can totally be healthy if done properly, with the right mindset and for the right reasons.
I'll leave aside the reasons and mindset and keep it at a level of basic health, nutrition, and an appreciation for how out of whack someone's digestive system and metabolism can get from repeatedly, compulsively engaging in multi-day fasts, if that's what we're calling OP's eating habits. There isn't even a roadmap, a plan, a schedule.

Nevermind virtually 100% of the health benefit from fasting doesn't require a multi-day fast...at all. There is an inflection point where one is no longer able to claim any benefit including the spiritual, other than discipline through self-harm. Is anyone here really rooting for OP to make it past 7 days of water fasting, and if so...why?

The rationale here is sprinkled with considerations such as "staying strong", experiencing "euphoria", "spiritual reason", weight control (despite 6+months lack of progress), and multiple references to binge eating followed by feelings of failure. If this were the log of a 16 yr old female athlete there would not be a single person on the forum who could read w/out cringing, yet the facts are no different.

That's all for me...

Last edited:
I'm sure you both can agree that long fasts can totally be healthy if done properly, with the right mindset and for the right reasons.
I follow IF daily + a 24hours fast on Mondays...for sure it has its healthy properties as many studies do confirm it, but long fasts without a proper plan and a medical advice aren't beneficial and instead of that could be end doing more harm than good.

I'll leave aside the reasons and mindset and keep it at a level of basic health, nutrition, and an appreciation for how out of whack someone's digestive system and metabolism can get from repeatedly, compulsively engaging in multi-day fasts, if that's what we're calling OP's eating habits. There isn't even a roadmap, a plan, a schedule.

Nevermind virtually 100% of the health benefit from fasting doesn't require a multi-day fast...at all. There is an inflection point where one is no longer able to claim any benefit including the spiritual, other than discipline through self-harm. Is anyone here really rooting for OP to make it past 7 days of water fasting, and if so...why?

The rationale here is sprinkled with considerations such as "staying strong", experiencing "euphoria", "spiritual reason", weight control (despite 6+months lack of progress), and multiple references to binge eating followed by feelings of failure. If this were the log of a 16 yr old female athlete there would not be a single person on the forum who could read w/out cringing, yet the facts are no different.

That's all for me...
Sorry, not sure why I brought that up considering this clearly isn't an example of the type of fasting I had in mind.

I though more along the lines of 3 or 4 48h-72h fasts per year.

Sorry, not sure why I brought that up considering this clearly isn't an example of the type of fasting I had in mind.

I though more along the lines of 3 or 4 48h-72h fasts per year.
Those actually make some sense as long as everything else is on point. And certainly there could be a spiritual/psychological component as well.

I still have to mention that longer duration fasting doesn't have much science backing for use by humans. On top of that fully 80% or more of what fasting does is accomplished simply by resistance training, albeit using different pathways in some cases.

And yes, I have major issues in general that could be part of its own thread after doing a lot of reading, spending time visiting and support in a 100% observation ward for acute eating disorder. The number one risk factor for developing an eating disorder is NOT an underlying mental or emotional issue, it is poorly understood genetic response to embarking on a restrictive eating diet. Once active, these are extremely difficult to fix, even if they don't become life threatening.
Here’s why: most eating disorders are triggered by a negative energy balance, which is a period of time in which a person is consuming fewer calories than they are expending. People who are not predisposed to eating disorders may feel uncomfortable, weak, tired, or “hangry” while fasting, will overindulge in food to break the fast, and then will promptly return to their normal eating habits.

For people who have a genetic predisposition towards eating disorders, regardless of whether the eating disorder is currently active, a negative energy balance often takes a more sinister turn. These individuals often feel better when they are fasting, and fasting very quickly becomes a self-perpetuating cycle. Once the switch is flipped by a period of negative energy balance, the eating disorder may be set in motion by a cascade of disordered thoughts and behaviors accompanied by increasing difficulty eating (or cycles of binge/purge).
The less they eat, the less they want to eat, until it gets to the point that they are not able to bring themselves to eat at all without significant external support.

My longest fast ever was 24 days only drinking water with lemon juice in it.
Prolonged fasting is actually pretty fun.
I am using it to kill parasites and clear candida.
I am currently on day 12 of a 17 day fast.
I feel great. Rarely do I ever feel hungry.
If you do, just drink some water and it leaves.
It feels that I am moving into the bliss state
which occurs when someone fasts for a long duration.

Have you ever fasted before?
Doing 72's would be very beneficial for you.
Especially if you want to drop some unwanted pounds.
Begin day 3 of water fasting. Did several short walks, about 45 minutes in total.

Begin day 4 of water fasting. Usually I will have lots of hunger now, but not much yesterday, maybe because I took too many fish oil softgels. I wonder If I have broken my fast already by eating too much fish oil. I did couple of short walks, about 1/2 hour in total.

Start day 1 of water fasting. Yesterday I broke my last fast with two large meals in the early morning and afternoon. So that was only a 4 day fast. Start all over again. I did a 2 hour hiking. I would like some suggestions on staying strong working while fasting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom