all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Feedback on new program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@North Coast Miller

After several sessions of experiments with the two high pull versions, I like your better. I think I may actually be doing a bit of a hybrid, not cutting the drive short but rather segueing it into the shoulder/trap pull and maybe even a bit of punch/push at the start of the return movement. Regardless, it feels a lot smoother and yes, more shoulder friendly without any loss of oomph (for lack of a better term). Many thanks!

I never went by OTM because it felt arbitrary to me and some sets or days was too long and others too short. So I've always gone by "feel recovered and ready to go" as main indicator and if wearing HR monitor (rare) I'd also go by MAF zone comparison, aiming for top or slightly out of MAF at end of set and starting again a low end or a bit below that.

Exactly! That's A&A. Get enough sets in and OTM will not give time for a sufficient HR drop.

Your program looks terrific! I'm approaching 56 and doing A&A snatches 3X/week, 32kg between 30 and 40 repeats of 5. It's amazing how the body adapts to what the mind decides "we" are gonna do.

You are a tremendous inspiration, Geoffrey. Please update your progress!

Thank youWxHerx! As noted above I am now doing high pulls instead of snatches, so 7 reps per set instead of 5.

Also, because I really like barbell power cleans, I've added 10 reps at lighter weight of just those then the 5X5 single clean with 5 front squats.

I don't track numbers, heart rate, whatever. But I do know that I've been feeling extremely good lately, noticing that on average I'm walking at a faster pace, maintaining it on steeper hills, etc.

It took me a few cycles to get up to speed on the work load. When first started doing this program. After A and B I'd need a day completely off to recover. Then I was going A/B/A and A/B/A/B. Now I've done sessions 7 days in a row (including this morning) and feel like could just go grab some iron and go again.

Special thanks to Bret S. for mentioning niko niko running which I'd not heard of prior to your post. Gave me a nudge for a grand WTH moment--

Back story: My knees have been "problematic" for about 20 years. Cartilage surgery on one (stapled bucket tear and did not remove) which due to internal scar was an extremely long and painful rehab to get full ROM. Still, pretty much since then running at all, very slowly for a few step, and the would both light up light 4th of July sparklers. Jumping worse with the take off at least as painful as the landings. More than a wee test and I'd pretty intense dull ache for 24-48 hours. Last year finally went to see an orthopedic surgeon thinking I might be headed toward needing replacement and wanted to check options, etc. He took xrays (showed them to me) and lo and behold, plenty of cartilage/space in the joint, just some mild arthritis in the more problematic one. At any rate, I've been a walker only. Used to run quite a bit before all that.

Fast forward to today: Many months of very moderate intensity front squats, power cleans, Romanian dl's, weighted carries, and TGU's and daily walks of 2-5 miles, as much as weather allows on short, steep up/down woodsy trails. Today, after having following my curiosity and looking up nico nico, just on a whim, I tried to run and NO PAIN AT ALL!!!! So I just poked along, slow, easy running and when I'd start to feel a bit huffy-puffy, I'd dial it back to brisk walk until ready then run some more. Went on my shortest hilly loop of 2
½ miles which usually takes slightly over an hour; did it in 45 minutes and could have just gone on and on. Stopped because, "oh yeah, duh, I haven't run in 20 years...." At one point I stopped and did a couple long jumps and vert jumps and also zero pain! Got my knees back. I guess strong does fix most things ;) Going by fingers on pulse and count check and BORG scale, I ended up run/walking pretty much in my MAF or a bit under.

Oh and speaking of endocannabinoids... From what I found online about niko niko:

Studies showed that our body releases a marijuana-like substance called endocannabinoids which increases the sensation of pleasure and neutralises pain. Researchers compared the release of this substance in people walking, jogging, medium-pace jogging and running. This is what they found:

..walking didn’t lead to endocannabinoids production, slow jogging resulted in a remarkable number, and medium-pace jogging led to a slight increase; meanwhile running didn’t induce their production at all’

The most surprising finding was probably that running did no stimulate this but slow and medium-pace jogging paces did. When we run at faster paces we tap more strongly into the body’s fight and flight response which leads to the release of other hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol. The effect of the two can be compared to the difference between a ‘good’ and a ‘bad’ high – one is long, pleasant and has no long-term side-effects whereas the other is an abrupt stimulus which leaves you deflated and tired once it wears off. Most runners in my experience have become addicted to the ‘adrenaline hit’ never knowing what they are missing out on with the endocannabinoids.
In the past, I always ran at pretty fast pace, enough to leave MAF in the dust really. I'd get buzzed but really the wired and tired kind and yes, carb hungry. Today the opposite. I can't remember feeling like I felt today except from surfing small waves and just having fun. Afterwards I just felt relaxed and happy (and thirsty). Ate lunch late because just wasn't hungry, I assume from being closer to fat burning mode.

So, a new toy!

Last edited:
High pull sets were just feeling easier than they should at the weight so rechecked with stopwatch and found that 7 reps was getting me to about 12 seconds, 8 reps gets me to 14. Very noticeable difference adding that one rep. The 8th still feels full power but clearly closer to where the power will drop off. So 8 reps it is.

For me replacing KB snatches with double KB jerks made a big difference in regards to the shoulder pain.

As far as power cleans and FSQ are concerned, why don't you break them up? As in do your sets of cleans first, then FSQ with heavier weight.

Thank you Lightning Fast. I sort of do that--10 power cleans pretty light to work on form, then a bit longer rest, then the squats. But since I don't have a rack, a power clean is how I get the bar in place for each set of 5. And at this point I think my clean weight and squat weight are nearly identical! And at the weight I'm using the last couple reps of the last set or last two sets, I can finish cleanly but feel close to getting stuck about 1/4 of the way back up, so I think I'm using a pretty appropriate weoght

Starting to work in sets w/ next heavier kb and one of my elbows is not liking the abrupt direction change from pull to push. Will go to swings for a few until it settles down then try again.

Just for fun/variety, did some "internet research" and went for 1st attempt at race walking today. Quite surprised to learn that elite level race walkers can do back to back 5 minute miles. Anyhoo, I rather enjoyed it. Did a 3 mile, very hilly circuit on mtn bike single track behind where I live. I can tell it will take some work and time to really dial in the technique but it isn't near rocket science. Could really feel the shift from running and power walking which tends to emphasize quads a bit vs race walking which is really all hamstrings and glutes.

Starting to work in sets w/ next heavier kb and one of my elbows is not liking the abrupt direction change from pull to push.
One day off kb's, barbell day, using muscles and joints in different planes, and pain gone. Today did full 30 X 8 high pulls including the mix in of heavier kb and zero problems. Must have been a passing gremlin

Last edited:
Couple months ago, decided to change things up. New work out consists of A, B, C, D days as follows:

A: A+A swings/high pulls/snatch/clean---30% body weight (16 kg) or 38% body weight (20 kg) depending on how I feel that day. 8 solid reps and rest until recovered X 20-40 sets, again depending on how I feel.

B: 10 Turkish getups [aternating sides]
2 X 5 power cleans
1 power clean+5 front squats X 5 (at 70%)
a couple fairly heavly loaded heavy carries

C: 10 Turkish getups [aternating sides]
Trapbar DL 5X5 (at 70%)
2 heavily loaded carries

D: REST

A, B, C, D, and repeat

And here's a bit of WTH...Last October I tested testosterone and estrogen as part of my yearly "monitoring". (I will be 70 in December.) (I've been mostly vegan though occasional grass fed critter, a couple ounces in a meal, as desired, so once every few weeks.)

Estrogen was good level. Testosterone was 465 which is low normal range for my age; not near low enough to consider supplementing. Just tested again. Estrogen a schooch higher than last time, likely just normal fluctuations. Testosterone is now 566. That's a 100 ng/dl increase!!!

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is my program change since all else is same same,. The blood draw was done on a rest day so not a few hours transient fluctuation from immediate physical effort as I have seen claimed. Could that be enough to cause that result? I'll take it for sure. There are signs of noticeable, overall benefits...

For awhile I have been questioning the wisdom of a 70 year old trying to learn to clean a heavy barbell. Couple weeks ago, when increasing weight, I blew a rep and almost went over backwards. Since I am using stacks of 25 lb plates (It's what I have plus I'm not using near enough weight yet to justify buying 45's) there is considerably less ground clearance under the bar. The possibilities game me pause.... Soooo, here's my latest iteration below. Had almost a week break due to travel so when I started this, I got sore "all over", and where I was sore tells me both that it's a pretty well rounded program and also that my form is pretty good.

A:
A+A kettlebell high pulls
average 30 sets X8

B:
TGU X 10
with gradually increasing number of floor presses in each reap
Trap bar DL's but with hips low and lot more shin angle so very close to back squat in lower body dynamics. Since I am standing on about 2 ½ inches of wood platform (Titebond for the win), that puts' me in ATG squat starting position (hips well below parallel) only with arms down, carrying the load, instead of up, stabilizing it on my shoulders.
Loaded carries

C:
Rest and mobility and finger/wrist extensors work

Last edited:
Have you tried the hang clean? Get the bar up a little below your knees, pause, and clean from there.

Yup, from floor, from knees, from power position at hips, all of them many time. It's just that I'm feeling like I don't quite have the reflexes and elasticity anymore to escape safely in a missed lift. KB highpulls use many of the same muscles explosively as do barbell cleans. I do my highpulls exactly the same as a snatch and just stop short of the punch through at the top

Last edited:
That was "interesting". Doing
A:
A+A kettlebell high pulls
average 30 sets X8
B:
TGU X 10
with extra floor presses in each reap
Trap bar DL's
Loaded carries
C:
Rest and mobility and finger/wrist extensors work
I thought that since I was only deadlifting 2 ½ times/week, average over 2 week period and not going past 70-75%, AND not being an experienced deadlifted, I might get away with 5X5 sets/reps. Nope. First time in ages I have experienced a really CNS fry job. New plan after couple days extra rest is to keep the TGU's light (I was progressing them in weight) and using them as warm up, separating out the floor presses for maybe 15 reps, and doing only 10 reps DL. That and just alternating with A+A days and rest days only as felt need. More like an Easy Strength "lite" program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom