all posts post new thread

Barbell Form check please - Return to sumo DL

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
When it comes to back problems I think it's a great idea to teach a controlled eccentric in the gym. Then one can do it better in real life, whether it's dropping bags of groceries or a child or a couch or anything.
Good point... Although kids do recover pretty well if dropped ROFL (JK...)

With both these novices and back injuries and in reality everyone, load management is key. Don't add load unless you're proficient with your current load and only add it with appropriate steps.
Agree, that's the main thing, to do what you are proficient at doing, however you have been taught and have progressed. And certainly a good idea to be wary of changing technique at full load; i.e. if doing anything different, take some time to work up to it.

I rely on this quote from Christian Thibaudeau and saw when doing a cycle this way that my recovery really was a lot easier and daily training was not difficult:

“Not only do I not emphasize the eccentric portion of a lift, I often rely on eccentric-less exercises. I'm not saying that the eccentric phase of a lift isn't important, it is. But on the other hand, moving slower or adding resistance during the negative phase can do more harm to your progress than good.

Emphasizing eccentric work devastates the nervous system and thereby increases your recovery needs drastically. At the very minimum, this means that you won't be able to train often enough, or with enough volume, for maximal gains. And to me, volume and frequency are the keys to stimulating maximum growth.

Furthermore, accentuated eccentric loading has been shown to decrease glycogen replenishment after training (because of decreased insulin sensitivity). In other words, not only do you have more to recover from when accentuating the eccentric, the recovery process is actually slower!

In fact, the negative effect of accentuated eccentrics on glycogen replenishment lasts for as much as 3 days — that's 3 days with impaired recovery capacities!”

I rely on this quote from Christian Thibaudeau and saw when doing a cycle this way that my recovery really was a lot easier and daily training was not difficult:

“Not only do I not emphasize the eccentric portion of a lift, I often rely on eccentric-less exercises. I'm not saying that the eccentric phase of a lift isn't important, it is. But on the other hand, moving slower or adding resistance during the negative phase can do more harm to your progress than good.

Emphasizing eccentric work devastates the nervous system and thereby increases your recovery needs drastically. At the very minimum, this means that you won't be able to train often enough, or with enough volume, for maximal gains. And to me, volume and frequency are the keys to stimulating maximum growth.

Furthermore, accentuated eccentric loading has been shown to decrease glycogen replenishment after training (because of decreased insulin sensitivity). In other words, not only do you have more to recover from when accentuating the eccentric, the recovery process is actually slower!

In fact, the negative effect of accentuated eccentrics on glycogen replenishment lasts for as much as 3 days — that's 3 days with impaired recovery capacities!”

Emphasizing the eccentric is one end of the spectrum. Eccentrics close to a free fall are in the other end.

I try to be in the middle of the spectrum.

I do agree that at times/goals exercises without eccentrics have their place due to less recovery demand. I think I even mentioned it in my first post in the thread.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom