all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Free Heavy Clubbell Programs

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Jacob DeRossett

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey ya'll! I've been divining into Heavy Club training these last few years, mostly do to Mark Wildman. I've really enjoyed this style of training but I've noticed there isn't a lot of free programs written out there. Mark has it all laid out in videos but you have to dig a bit to find them. So I've put together a FREE Heavy club program from beginner to advanced for free, its not on my website, just a google doc you can find here. This is the resource I wish I would of had when I started training. So if you know anyone interested in Heavy Club Swinging send them my way, thanks!

This looks great! I've got an adjustable club, but I've only just played with it to learn the movements. This seems like a nice way to organize some basic club work into my other work. Thanks for sharing!

That's a good looking program. I'm a big Wildman (and club) fan and have his 2-handed club program from Strong & Fit. I can't afford the Basis of Strength yet, but someday.
Anyway, I do know he usually recommends two-handed club for time under tension (30 sec on/30 sec off) and one-handed for sets of 5 since it's basically strength training. However, what you have here is perfectly valid. Most mornings, I end up doing sets of 10 shield casts and sets of 5 mills/reverse mills just to get my shoulders working. Usually two-handed, sometimes one-handed, sometimes a mix. Just something to get me moving while the coffee's making.

thank you.
If I may suggest something - I think that total beginners might benefit more from a pullover rather than shieldcast, and instead of inside/outside circle one might just practice hip rotations while holding a club. That would be sort of a clubbell zero program.

thank you.
If I may suggest something - I think that total beginners might benefit more from a pullover rather than shieldcast, and instead of inside/outside circle one might just practice hip rotations while holding a club. That would be sort of a clubbell zero program.
Yes great recommendation! Sorry, I should define the term beginner. I mean club beginner. I find that a person of reasonable strength can hop in on this club program and work the kinks out as they go, but more of a raw beginner should start as you’re saying for a period of time. Perhaps I’ll put that in the program as well! Many thanks!

I am also a Mark Wildman follower & use only mostly Clubs now. I have a set from Onnit & the new ones from Tacfit.
I don't enjoy (or have the discipline) to follow a program. Weather its barbells, kettlebells or clubs, I try to fit all movements into basic categories: Hinge, Pull, Push, Squat...that kind of thing.

Here are my 3 Club workouts:
1. Squat-Press: Ballance Squat (or Step Back Ballance Lunge) with Front Press @ top or bottom position.
2. Hinge-Pull: Outside & Inside Pendulums....and/or One Arm Club Swing to Clean.
3. Other Day: Shield Cast, Gama Cast, Alternating Circles, Mills.

And I agree with 15 lbs. to begin. Its crazy how heavy that feels.

This is nice program, thank you. Might try it on my variety days. Do you put the club down between exercises or between rounds? Or do you do it non-stop?

This is nice program, thank you. Might try it on my variety days. Do you put the club down between exercises or between rounds? Or do you do it non-stop?
In the beginning I think it’s a good idea to sit it down and shake it out between reps to keep the reps quality. Especially if you’re doing the one arm stuff. But as you get more advanced it’s really fun to do big sets and enjoy the burn from time to time.

Hey ya'll! I've been divining into Heavy Club training these last few years, mostly do to Mark Wildman. I've really enjoyed this style of training but I've noticed there isn't a lot of free programs written out there. Mark has it all laid out in videos but you have to dig a bit to find them. So I've put together a FREE Heavy club program from beginner to advanced for free, its not on my website, just a google doc you can find here. This is the resource I wish I would of had when I started training. So if you know anyone interested in Heavy Club Swinging send them my way, thanks!
What's the Steel Club weight equivalent to a set of 16kg, 24kg, and 32kg KBs? Assume reasonably fit male.

What's the Steel Club weight equivalent to a set of 16kg, 24kg, and 32kg KBs? Assume reasonably fit male.
I don't think there's a very close equivalence, both because the implements and drills are different in nature, and because clubs vary a lot in feel based on length and weight distribution (longer = harder/more weight toward the head = harder). I definitely prefer a longer club with more weight toward the head for a better, "swingier" feel, as well as being more challenging for a given weight.

For instance, the Rmax/Tacfit clubbells and Oates TAP Bell Clubs are much longer (in the range of 26-29" depending on weight) than the typical generic Chinese clubs sold by Onnit and many others. The CK Maceworks plate loadable Cadi club is 24" plus the length of the plate stack, which is long enough, plus the weight distribution is more toward the head. The Adex regular club handle is very short by itself, and weights are barrel-shaped so the length of the club varies a lot depending on how much weight you load it with. People make spacers out of PVC pipe to extend the length and keep it consistent when using lighter weights. Adex also has the ARC handle, which is 26" long. That might make is hard to do circles and mills without hitting the floor if you add a lot of the Adex weights, which add a lot of length. However, it is possible to kludge regular 1" plates onto Adex handles, and 3/4" PVC pipe makes a nice spacer sleeve to keep the plates from rattling, although you need to cut separate sleeve for each combination of plates to make sure the length of the sleeve matches the height of the plate stack.

Because of the leverage and momentum of clubs, small differences in weight make a much bigger difference in feel and difficulty than with KBs, and there is a much bigger difference between one and two-handed drills.

All that being said, in the context of the Rmax/Tacfit clubbells, with which I have the most experience, I'd recommend 15lbs as a good beginner weight for 1-arm drills for an average fit male (someone comfortable swinging, pressing and snatching a 24kg KB) and 25lbs as a beginner weight for 2-arm drills. However, as an equivalence to a main working weight, I'd say that a 15lb club is closer to a 16 or 20kg KB and a 25lb club is closer to a 28 or 32kg KB. A 20lb club would be somewhere in the middle.

The new generation Tacfit clubbells and the Oates bell clubs come in kilos, so instead of 15lbs, Tacfit has a 7kg and Oates has a 7.5kg, and instead of 20lbs, Tacfit has a 10kg and 12kg, and Oates has a 10kg and 12.5kg. They also come heavier than that, but most people will have to train a long time to use heavier clubs 1-handed, and longer than that to build any kind of volume. I've been using clubs for decades, although not continuously, and the heaviest clubs I use for 1-arm overhead drills are 12kg. For 2-arm drills I go up to 45lbs.

The loadable clubs (the leading brands are Adex and CK Maceworks) are flexible in terms of load, but more expensive, and similar to adjustable KBs, VERY annoying (at least IMO) to change weights on the fly in the middle of a session.

Back
Top Bottom