all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gada/Mace critique

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J.C.S.

Level 4 Valued Member

Began swinging the mace a week ago. 360 swings feel much easier to perform and more solid so wanted to post the weaker 10 to 2 swings for more feedback. Long road ahead for improvement and refinement so I appreciate constructive criticism!

I'm no expert but it looks like good form to me.

The only difference I see between yours and Paul Wolkowinski is the rest position between each rep. He finishes with the Gada resting on the side it's just come from between reps where you carry it a bit further to the opposite side. I don't even know if that's important or not. It looks good to me.

@Tarzan I am actually watching his videos right now. The front position of the hands is much lower for better stability and his triceps are fully extended in the posterior position. I am excited to continue learning, almost feels like when I first came across KBs in 2009 (regarding my level of geek out)!

Wolkowinski uses a much longer mace than the onnit one you have, so the downward pull/extension he does is much more necessary. I think that as you graduate to a longer handle/heavier mace, you will find that you naturally do the same.

That being said - I share your passion for mace training! I think the "Rotational" strength aspect is a great compliment to the "Anti-Rotational" strength aspect of kettlebell work. It is also a KILLER grip workout.

My favorite tutorials on youtube are from Wolf Brigade and Chris Duffen.

Wolf Brigade also sells maces through Rogue. They are custom made for each order, and have a nice long handle. Added bonus is that Greg (the Wolf Brigade guy)will carve your initials into the Mace, and send you a hand written "thank you"note. :) I have a 10kg and a 12kg that I love.

https://www.roguefitness.com/wolf-brigade-mace

When you are ready for something heavier, I highly recommend them.

@Baker thanks for the recommendation! Will check those out, if Rogue distributes it then it should be good! In the future, I would aldo be keen to make my own concrete and bamboo gada!

I made a concrete Gada a while back with a 3/4 size basketball and a piece of 1 & 1/2 inch gal pipe for a handle. It was a bit on the heavy side for me but not over the top. I've had a shoulder reconstruction and the 10 to 2's kept tweaking my shoulder so I had to stop using it.

I ended up using a Bulgarian bag for my rotational work & it didn't hit that extreme external rotational aspect like the Gada did, so it wasn't a problem .

The mace should prime you for a heavier concrete Gada but be sure not to make it too heavy or you just won't get the most out of training with it.

You look like a fairly big man, so maybe you could go heavier than I could without any problems. Maybe a few different sizes/weights would be a good idea so you can progressively build yourself up to a really heavy one. It will also give you a few options for heavy and light days depending on how you feel at the time.

While we are on the topic, how do you guys structure your mace training? Here's how I am incorporating it:

Warm Up Circuit: 3-5 rounds @ 15lb Mace
10+10 360s
10 Barbarian Squats
10 Hip Bridges

Then after my main strength work, I will do one of the following depending on how I am feeling, I will either do:

5 sets of 10+10 360's with my 12kg
-OR-
Superset 10+10 360's with 1 arm KB swings for 10 minutes

@Baker I am still just working on technique but I have always used super sets and complexes in my training so I imagine that will entail a large part of it.

I lile how you supersetted the mace with swings, that is a great idea. Do you use the mace with other movements like Onnit shows (presses, rows,etc)? The off set weight is surprisingly challenging.

@Baker I am still just working on technique but I have always used super sets and complexes in my training so I imagine that will entail a large part of it.

I lile how you supersetted the mace with swings, that is a great idea. Do you use the mace with other movements like Onnit shows (presses, rows,etc)? The off set weight is surprisingly challenging.

I don’t. My opinion is that kettlebells/ barbells/dumbbells Versions of those exercises are better choices for building strength and muscle.

I feel that Onnit puts out those workouts just to sell maces.

I don’t. My opinion is that kettlebells/ barbells/dumbbells Versions of those exercises are better choices for building strength and muscle.

I feel that Onnit puts out those workouts just to sell maces.

I generally agree. 360s and 10-2s are the killer apps for the mace.

However, I really like doing curls with the mace, holding the mace horizontally with the heavy end outside the working arm. The farther away from the heavy end you hold the handle, the harder.

While we are on the topic, how do you guys structure your mace training? Here's how I am incorporating

I usually do my mace training A+A style, either after my KB work or as a stand alone. I'll typically do sets of 10 total reps (5 360s in each direction or 5 10-2s counting one in each direction as 1 rep) on the minute or every 50 seconds, for 32-64 repeats, changing grips each set, usually doing the first half of the sets with 360s and the second half with 10-2s. With my mace loaded to 25lbs, I can keep this up basically indefinitely and it's easy to recover from.

Last edited:
While we are on the topic, how do you guys structure your mace training?
3x 10+10 360s during my usual warm-up.

I've rarely used it in for my S&S variety day.
Something like AMRAP 15min 5+5 1H-Swings + 5+5 360s or 5 rounds of (1,2,3) KB press ladder + 15+15 360s.

I really like doing curls with the mace
I do that too from time to time.
I use the ballistic version, though.

@Baker Pulled the trigger on a 12kg Wolf Brigade mace. Have been watching Greg Walsh's videos and it's good stuff! His technique is a little different from Paul Wolkowinski, concerning the finish point in front for 360s and 10-2s. Both great resources and hope they continue to produce more material.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom