all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

Question for those who have been doing P3/SJS/MM.... has anyone else experienced motion sickness-like symptoms induced by the head movement? During my second session this happened to me but I did not experience this during my first session. Personally I am somewhat sensitive to getting motion sickness but not excessively so. This had me feeling off for the remainder of the evening. I am curious what I might be doing incorrectly that could be causing this. Do I need to focus more intently on looking with the eyes/gaze prior to moving my head? Thanks for any advice.

I remember reading about this a little while back but I could not find it with a search so I apologize if I'm reiterating something that's already been discussed.

On a positive note, I did feel substantially more mobile after only one session. It certainly seems to help alleviate some crunchiness I get in my neck/upper spine that I suspect is from bad posture sitting at my desk. I do not want to miss out on these benefits just because I might be performing the movements incorrectly.
Replying to myself with an update months later. I put this on the shelf for a bit because the of the motion sickness-like feelings and returned to it a couple months ago now. I thought I would provide this update for those who also might experience the same symptoms that I did. I believe my initial problem was that I was trying to push myself without conditioning my vestibular system to this first.

So upon returning to the practice, I started really really small. I started with only 10 breaths and 2 or 3 head nods and 2 or 3 rotations in each position. These were done very slowly as before however, this time I also paused in each position and took a full inhale and exhale until I could feel that my body had adjusted to the movement of my head. Think of how a dancer stops briefly during each spin so they don't get dizzy. This seemed to have a much greater effect than just moving slowly. Even moving slowly at a certain point I would get the motion sickness. I have slowly been working up from there. Still not a 30 but I'm just taking my time on this one. I do feel a difference in my range of motion and joint pains even just doing this small amount of work so I will keep at it. Also it kind of doubles as meditation time in a way at least for me. In particular I like to do this on my off days and then do a bit of Pavel M.'s Great Gama Protocol afterwards. This is because I feel like it can be a struggle to generate tension for things like C&P after doing the P3 practice. But, GGP doesn't really require tension and and the exercises are more reflexive in nature.

I have a condition called vaso-vagal syncope which can be induced by motion sickness or a tilt test among other things (dehydration, stress, lack of sleep, low blood sugar, etc). I'm not highly sensitive to motion normally but for some reason I have struggled with these head movements. Now that I have been working on it however, I can feel my tolerance to it building. I am curious to see if this might help fortify my vestibular system and make it less sensitive in other situations and therefore induce fewer Vasovagal syncope episodes. Will report in if I ever have a chance to test that theory.

Last edited:
Replying to myself with an update months later. I put this on the shelf for a bit because the of the motion sickness-like feelings and returned to it a couple months ago now. I thought I would provide this update for those who also might experience the same symptoms that I did. I believe my initial problem was that I was trying to push myself without conditioning my vestibular system to this first.

So upon returning to the practice, I started really really small. I started with only 10 breaths and 2 or 3 head nods and 2 or 3 rotations in each position. These were done very slowly as before however, this time I also paused in each position and took a full inhale and exhale until I could feel that my body had adjusted to the movement of my head. Think of how a dancer stops briefly during each spin so they don't get dizzy. This seemed to have a much greater effect than just moving slowly. Even moving slowly at a certain point I would get the motion sickness. I have slowly been working up from there. Still not a 30 but I'm just taking my time on this one. I do feel a difference in my range of motion and joint pains even just doing this small amount of work so I will keep at it. Also it kind of doubles as meditation time in a way at least for me. In particular I like to do this on my off days and then do a bit of Pavel M.'s Great Gama Protocol afterwards. This is because I feel like it can be a struggle to generate tension for things like C&P after doing the P3 practice. But, GGP doesn't really require tension and and the exercises are more reflexive in nature.

I have a condition called vaso-vagal syncope which can be induced by motion sickness or a tilt test among other things (dehydration, stress, lack of sleep, low blood sugar, etc). I'm not highly sensitive to motion normally but for some reason I have struggled with these head movements. Now that I have been working on it however, I can feel my tolerance to it building. I am curious to see if this might help fortify my vestibular system and make it less sensitive in other situations and therefore induce fewer Vasovagal syncope episodes. Will report in if I ever have a chance to test that theory.

I had some difficulty with supine nodding as well. I just slowed it right down and used a rest-pause approach. Others should know that this dizziness may be common according to previous posts.

This post also goes to show that doing something consistently is better than not doing the full program regardless. Just expect slower results. I am doing that to get back on track as well. A rest pause approach can also help. Just pause before failure rest a few seconds and then add reps. Gradually the number of reps will increase.

@Geoff Neupert Hey Geoff just a question on breathing while doing the head movements. Do you just breathe normally (diaphragmatically) while nodding & rotating? Or breath in & out in time with the movements? In left out right, in up out down for example? I’m asking because atm I’m not even noticing I’m breathing at all while doing the head movements in each position, obviously I must be as I don’t get out of breath.
While I’m here, while doing the deadbugs I breathe in lowering limbs & exhale raises them. Am I on the right track or should I reverse this?
Thanks again Geoff. Appreciate your work, it’s a life changer.

@Geoff Neupert Hey Geoff just a question on breathing while doing the head movements. Do you just breathe normally (diaphragmatically) while nodding & rotating? Or breath in & out in time with the movements? In left out right, in up out down for example? I’m asking because atm I’m not even noticing I’m breathing at all while doing the head movements in each position, obviously I must be as I don’t get out of breath.
While I’m here, while doing the deadbugs I breathe in lowering limbs & exhale raises them. Am I on the right track or should I reverse this?
Thanks again Geoff. Appreciate your work, it’s a life changer.
@dc,

On breathing: Yes. Either. Both. Whatever works for you. Play with it and see what, if anything, works better/best.

On dead bugs: I would reverse it. Inhale, hold breath, lower limbs, lift limbs exhaling through the sticking point. Repeat.

Hope that helps.

I picked up this program because I have been trying to regain mobility in my arthritic shoulder. I've only been at it for a week and a half, but have already noticed some improvements. I previously used my right hand, exclusively, to comb the back of my hair. Attempting this with my left would cause pain, but I was combing my hair a few days ago and reached back there with my left, without even thinking. I was able to do it without pain. What's even more, I wet my unruly morning hair with a spray bottle before I comb it. Spraying the back of my head involves a more extreme reach than combing does, so I used my right hand for this. I can now do this with my left hand as well.

@Geoff Neupert I have seen a certain issue come up a few times in this thread, but never saw a solid answer. When I do side lying on my left (bad shoulder) side, I can't get my fist to the ground. Fully supporting my head puts an uncomfortable torque on my elbow. I have compensated by doing a regular set with my arm extended (either out to the side, or up) and my head resting on my shoulder. Then I'll do some short, 5-10 breath/rep sets in the normal manner, but with my head only partially supported by my (floating) fist.

Is this the best way to go about it, or is there something better I can do?

I have worked up to level 3 supine and level 4 prone, however I just watched the bonus video. Testing this breathing, in position, I can only get 3-5 breaths before I feel my belly button start to peel away from my spine. I think I am going to go back to level 1 for everything until I can pass the breathing test with this breathing method.

I picked up this program because I have been trying to regain mobility in my arthritic shoulder. I've only been at it for a week and a half, but have already noticed some improvements. I previously used my right hand, exclusively, to comb the back of my hair. Attempting this with my left would cause pain, but I was combing my hair a few days ago and reached back there with my left, without even thinking. I was able to do it without pain. What's even more, I wet my unruly morning hair with a spray bottle before I comb it. Spraying the back of my head involves a more extreme reach than combing does, so I used my right hand for this. I can now do this with my left hand as well.
Excellent!
@Geoff Neupert I have seen a certain issue come up a few times in this thread, but never saw a solid answer. When I do side lying on my left (bad shoulder) side, I can't get my fist to the ground. Fully supporting my head puts an uncomfortable torque on my elbow. I have compensated by doing a regular set with my arm extended (either out to the side, or up) and my head resting on my shoulder. Then I'll do some short, 5-10 breath/rep sets in the normal manner, but with my head only partially supported by my (floating) fist

Is this the best way to go about it, or is there something better I can do?
Good question. I thought I'd answered it, but apparently not. Perhaps it was in emails. Prop something under your fist, like a rolled up towel to take the pressure off. The slowly lower the prop/make it smaller until your fist touches the ground.
I have worked up to level 3 supine and level 4 prone, however I just watched the bonus video. Testing this breathing, in position, I can only get 3-5 breaths before I feel my belly button start to peel away from my spine. I think I am going to go back to level 1 for everything until I can pass the breathing test with this breathing method.
Good idea. You may find that left shoulder open up a lot more too.

Let us know how it goes.

I just want to add that I have been working on my shoulder for a while. I have made progress with some exercises I found at Squat University, and I have been doing the OS Resets. I had regained quite a bit of what I lost when I started unconsciously restricting my motion after my shoulder got bad. However, this amount of improvement, at this rate, is amazing.

I didn't really pursue the medical route any further than I had because the orthopedic surgeon (and maybe this is because it was a COVID-era telehealth call) reassured me that I had surprising range of motion for my condition. He told me that most people in my boat have trouble putting on a shirt. I couldn't press at that time, but I could TGU a 32kg bell, no problem. I might have even been working in the 40kg at that point.

I just want to add that I have been working on my shoulder for a while. I have made progress with some exercises I found at Squat University, and I have been doing the OS Resets. I had regained quite a bit of what I lost when I started unconsciously restricting my motion after my shoulder got bad. However, this amount of improvement, at this rate, is amazing.

I didn't really pursue the medical route any further than I had because the orthopedic surgeon (and maybe this is because it was a COVID-era telehealth call) reassured me that I had surprising range of motion for my condition. He told me that most people in my boat have trouble putting on a shirt. I couldn't press at that time, but I could TGU a 32kg bell, no problem. I might have even been working in the 40kg at that point.

I think this is a wider problem with the medical community. The average health of the population has become so poor that the standards have become so low for normal. Those of us who do not want to accept such disfunction and instead improve it are not well served and have to go to other organizations like StrongFirst. Relying on BMI for fit individuals is a good example.

Short update - I had a medical issue that popped up and the doctor put me on a lifting restriction, as well as recommended I keep from pressurizing for a bit. I figured it will be temporary and in the grand scheme of things, listen to the good doc's orders and be back to what I want to do quicker.

That being said, it has dragged on longer than I wanted. So, after ~4 weeks of nothing except walking, I started doing the P3 protocol again, and as I have said in an earlier posting, "I'm not weak". I'm not really building strength until I can start loading again, but just a few days of P3 has already put me back towards feeling "tied together" and as strong as possible given the circumstances.

@Geoff Neupert , I'm not sure why I wander away from being disciplined and doing this on the daily (other than being a fool), but every time I come back to it, I feel better...almost instantly. This is a TREMENDOUS program!

Bought P3 almost 2 weeks ago and I am doing the practice daily. So far my posture got better. Heavy joint blocks are now just soft and my body realigns itself. I´m very happy with it.

But I also have a question: when I do deadbugs with straight legs the limiting factor are my hip flexors but foremost my sartorius. Is that right? Can it be or am I missing something?

hello, I have a very stupid question, but I am looking for the best mobility flexibility program, to find a deep squat, is the P3 protocol right for me? do you have something better?

hello, I have a very stupid question, but I am looking for the best mobility flexibility program, to find a deep squat, is the P3 protocol right for me? do you have something better?
Without giving away the farm, the P3 protocol has a squat phase, and if you have read any of Geoff's journey, that was an item he struggled with mightily. There's 17 pages worth of people highlighting the successes of this program from reducing knee pain, hip pain, lower back pain - all items that have an influence in squat depth.

Let me put it this way...you wouldn't go wrong with it whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom