all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

I have been doing a hollow body hold for time six days a week.
What sort of things are you doing with the hollow body hold ? I am aware of some variations ie
crossover movements with feet
Rolling from side to side,
Rocking longtitudonally
Rolling sideways and keep rolling in same direction
holding a small kettlebell in the hands arms extended in line with the body beyond the head

there are probably a heap more variations out there

What sort of things are you doing with the hollow body hold ? I am aware of some variations ie
crossover movements with feet
Rolling from side to side,
Rocking longtitudonally
Rolling sideways and keep rolling in same direction
holding a small kettlebell in the hands arms extended in line with the body beyond the head

there are probably a heap more variations out there
Just the basic hold. Legs are still a bit too high. I do it as a break from working at the computer at home and separate from SJS, which I do before bed. SJS doesn't interfere with sleep and the positions at phase 1 are difficult but relaxing at the same time.

@Tobias Wissmueller ,

You'll only do one level from each position. That should take about 20 minutes or so, once you settle into the "rhythm."

What I've found over the years is that when people first get started, it takes a little while to get used to all the breathing and head control simply because their CNS's are in an overly-excited state. And that takes awhile to normalize/calm down.

I timed myself doing all 3 positions, level 3, and got it done right around 21 minutes.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
In the 21 minutes you do all the the set and reps of the deadbug?

Hi,
I'm joining the P3 protocol club.

After taking the time to watch the videos and test the exercises, I did my first real session today.

Phase 1 - level 1 :
supine 30 reps, 9min
side lying 30 reps, 14 min
prone 30 reps, 8 min

I could go on to level 2 but I'm staying with this one to confirm each drill and check my understanding of each one. And reduce the duration.

I have 2 questions:
- side lying. it's 30 reps of breathing and neck nods on each side ?
- in terms of programming, it's every day until level 3 is validated and then 2 or 3 times a week ?

EDIT : just watch the bonus Your Core Foundation video. It will change my next breathing series a lot.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm joining the P3 protocol club.

After taking the time to watch the videos and test the exercises, I did my first real session today.

Phase 1 - level 1 :
supine 30 reps, 9min
side lying 30 reps, 14 min
prone 30 reps, 8 min

I could go on to level 2 but I'm staying with this one to confirm each drill and check my understanding of each one. And reduce the duration.

I have 2 questions:
- side lying. it's 30 reps of breathing and neck nods on each side ?
- in terms of programming, it's every day until level 3 is validated and then 2 or 3 times a week ?

EDIT : just watch the bonus Your Core Foundation video. It will change my next breathing series a lot.
Welcome to the "Club!" :)

My answers:

1. Yes. And neck rotations.
2. Yes. Level 3 for Supine. Level 4 for Side Lying and Prone. Then maintenance 1x week.

Hi, at the end of the STEP 2: Watch The Test / Retest Method, it's said that's there is a private facebook coaching room. I can't find the link.

Purchased this today, as a late Christmas present for myself. Watched the videos and then ran through phase 1, level 1 in a bit over 30 minutes. No huge problems, and found it quite relaxing. A distinct "click" from my neck with the head rotatation to the right in the supine and side lying position, and my left shoulder is clearly tighter than my right. Noticeable when lying on my left side. Felt great when done!

Then I followed up with a session of Iron Cardio. 20 kg. doubles today, doing traveling twos. The first double clean was an absolute s***show, and my body felt like rubber. What the hell? Try again, and ok. Then the press. Suddenly my pressing groove felt different, with the bells moving in a tighter "arc" upwards and feeling slightly unstable at lockout. Very weird! The squats on the other hand were extremely fluid and have never felt this easy. While it somehow felt more difficult or "different" to create tension during my sets, my recovery was very rapid today. Did 28 sets in 30 minutes, and didn't feel like I was pushing it at all. That's more volume than usual for me, at a subjectively lower effort.

An interesting first experience, and I'm looking forward to continuing and progressing. What's the consensus when combining P3 with strength? Would you recommend doing it as a warmup, or doing if after a workout? Or doing it separately if possible?

I’ve had P3 for over 16 months and used it a number of different ways, including the following:
  • Rehab (as Geoff designed it)
  • Warm up (which I’ve tended to do position 1 in its entirety then the power phase in each)
  • Run it as more of a recovery and done multiple sets of each position
I’m a big fan and I clearly respond well to it. Also, I have found when I’ve taken a bit of a break due to alot of work travel, illness, etc., if I’m doing P3, I’m not “weak” or atleast I maintain a lot more than I believe I otherwise would be.

For what it’s worth, there’s a lot to be said for being able to breath in those positions.

I used it for rehab of a tweaked back, which it did very well. (thanks, @Geoff Neupert !!)
I did add in Alex Salkin's 9-minute challenge after a month or so getting comfortable with P3.
Then, after going through the whole P3 program , I used P3 on off/restoration days.

I've been slacking on P3 lately, though, to be honest. Perhaps something for a New Year's resolution?

One week in now, doing P3 6 days per week (by the book). Today I took phase 1 to level 3 for everything except side-lying. That will have to remain at level 2 for a few more days...

This stuff feels great. The plantar fasciitis in my right foot, that's been bugging me to some extent since July has suddenly faded to nothing, since 2-3 days in. The only thing I'm doing differently is P3, and how these movements can help with PF is beyond my understanding! I didn't expect that to happen, but it's most welcome. Ran 5k in zero drop shoes on the treadmill today, just to give it a proper test. If the s*** doesn't flare up the slightest this evening or tomorrow morning, I've already gotten more out of this purchase than I dared hope for.

Quick question on the supine position and head rotations... Do you completely rest your head on the ground while rotating, or do you slightly lift your head as your rotate?

The manual isn't clear on this, and from watching the video it appears that the head is lifted slightly while rotating. This is actually a bit challenging, while just "rotating at rest" is dead easy. I've been doing the latter (lazy by nature?) up until today.

Just wanna make sure I'm getting this right.

If you have trouble getting 30 nods in a row, I find it useful to use the rest-pause technique to just take a short pause and then continue to completion of the reps. This will give more reps to build up the strength. This is more a tip for those starting out with neck issues like me. This may be implied but I am not sure.

Quick question on the supine position and head rotations... Do you completely rest your head on the ground while rotating, or do you slightly lift your head as your rotate?

The manual isn't clear on this, and from watching the video it appears that the head is lifted slightly while rotating. This is actually a bit challenging, while just "rotating at rest" is dead easy. I've been doing the latter (lazy by nature?) up until today.

I believe you need to lift your head enough so friction with the floor doesn't prevent movement. And it is challenging. It took me a while to work up to the full repititions.

Keep your head on the ground if you can.

If I lifted my head, it was subconscious. I don't like the static electricity build up between the berber carpet and my head. ;-]

@Geoff Neupert
Just a thanks for the program mate.
I posted earlier querying how the P3 Protocol seemed to be helping me recover from my haemorrhoid banding procedure. It definitely sped things up.
Well it’s now been a week and a day since I had my umbilical hernia surgically repaired. Surgeons advise was walking as much as I can comfortably for the first 2 weeks. I’ve been doing that & on the fourth day after surgery I began doing P3 from the beginning again, I just leave out the laying on my belly action for the moment. It’s helping immensely. Pain levels & discomfort way down. Mobility improving daily. I feel I’m already creeping ahead of schedule in my recovery plan & I’ll see how it is after 2 full weeks of P3.

Back
Top Bottom