all posts post new thread

Nutrition Getting enough calories around a full training day

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Whole Egg Mix

One method is essentially make to some type of Protein Shake with a raw egg or two mixed in.

Dr Mike T. Nelson-Raw Eggs

Cholesterol is essential and is associated with increased protein synthesis following exercise (Woock Lee, EB abstract 2011).

According to Hope BK et al. 2002, the risk of salmonella in conventional eggs is pretty low.

They showed that 2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella. As a percentage, that is 0.003 % of eggs are infected.

Summary

Perhaps that crazy kook Vince Gironda and other old time strongman were on to something with the consumption of raw eggs.

While science shows that the assimilation of cooked eggs is about 30% better, the protein from raw eggs does not go to waste.

The risk of salmonella is low and the convenience factor is quite high with raw eggs.

I've personally been consuming about 4 raw eggs post training 3 days a week for 4 months without any issues. My recovery has been great and I am bit leaner too.

Whole Egg Vs. Egg White Ingestion During 12 weeks of Resistance Training in Trained Young Males: A Randomized Controlled Trial
J Strength Cond Res 35(2): 411–419, 2021

Post exercise whole egg ingestion increases knee extension and handgrip strength, testosterone, and reduces body fat percentage compared with post exercise egg white ingestion, despite no group differences in muscle mass, in resistance-trained young males.

Dark Meat

1) Dark meat has more nutrients which are in the fat.

2) Dark meat has more fat which means more flavor.

3) Nothing is worse, in my opinion that Chicken Breast, which is usually dry since there isn't much fat.
I wonder if the eggs sold here are safe for raw consumption? They aren’t refrigerated or pasteurized at all and I’ve gotten some pretty sketchy ones straight from the store.

Chicken in general is cheap here, and is about the only cheap protein I care to consume, frozen and prepackaged chicken breast is best for longevity in the fridge (flash freeze may kill off some of the microbes maybe?). Pork and “fresh” chicken goes bad insanely fast, like 12 hours in the fridge and it’s gone. Beef imported from Australia or NZ is good but it’s more expensive. Fish could be an option? Salmon is high, but cooked white fish is solid on every street corner and is pretty cheap (80-120thb/$3-4usd for a whole 12” fish)

I wonder if the eggs sold here are safe for raw consumption? They aren’t refrigerated or pasteurized at all and I’ve gotten some pretty sketchy ones straight from the store.

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't

Go in search of eggs in most foreign countries and you might encounter a strange scene: eggs on a shelf or out in the open air, nowhere near a refrigerator.

Shock and confusion may ensue. What are they doing there? And are they safe to eat?

We Americans, along with the Japanese, Australians and Scandinavians, tend to be squeamish about our chicken eggs, so we bathe them and then have to refrigerate them.

But we're oddballs.
Most other countries don't mind letting unwashed eggs sit next to bread or onions.

So what's the deal with washing and refrigeration? Soon after eggs pop out of the chicken, American producers put them straight to a machine that shampoos them with soap and hot water. The steamy shower leaves the shells squeaky clean. But it also compromises them, by washing away a barely visible sheen that naturally envelops each egg.

"The egg is a marvel in terms of protecting itself, and one of the protections is this coating, which prevents them from being porous," s
ays food writer Michael Ruhlman, author of Egg: A Culinary Exploration of the World's Most Versatile Ingredient.

"They're different approaches to basically achieve the same result," says Vincent Guyonnet, a poultry veterinarian and scientific adviser to the International Egg Commission. "We don't have massive [food safety] issues on either side of the Atlantic. Both methods seem to work."

The important thing, he says, is to be consistent.

Why chicken protein contributes more to muscle anabolism than beef protein

Results
For the total amount of amino acids that appeared in the subjects' blood in the first three hours after ingestion, it did not matter what protein the subjects had used. But as for the essential amino acids, the main amino acids for muscle growth, chicken protein was a significantly better source than beef protein.

Chicken protein was also a better source of arginine, leucine and sulfur-containing amino acids such as methionine and cysteine than beef protein.

More detailed information
about what the researchers' findings can be seen here.

1640175170117.png

Last edited:
I believe Nutrabolics has a protein powder made from salmon or something.
This is it here.

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't

Go in search of eggs in most foreign countries and you might encounter a strange scene: eggs on a shelf or out in the open air, nowhere near a refrigerator.

Shock and confusion may ensue. What are they doing there? And are they safe to eat?

We Americans, along with the Japanese, Australians and Scandinavians, tend to be squeamish about our chicken eggs, so we bathe them and then have to refrigerate them.

But we're oddballs.
Most other countries don't mind letting unwashed eggs sit next to bread or onions.

So what's the deal with washing and refrigeration? Soon after eggs pop out of the chicken, American producers put them straight to a machine that shampoos them with soap and hot water. The steamy shower leaves the shells squeaky clean. But it also compromises them, by washing away a barely visible sheen that naturally envelops each egg.

"The egg is a marvel in terms of protecting itself, and one of the protections is this coating, which prevents them from being porous," s
ays food writer Michael Ruhlman, author of Egg: A Culinary Exploration of the World's Most Versatile Ingredient.

"They're different approaches to basically achieve the same result," says Vincent Guyonnet, a poultry veterinarian and scientific adviser to the International Egg Commission. "We don't have massive [food safety] issues on either side of the Atlantic. Both methods seem to work."

The important thing, he says, is to be consistent.

Results
For the total amount of amino acids that appeared in the subjects' blood in the first three hours after ingestion, it did not matter what protein the subjects had used. But as for the essential amino acids, the main amino acids for muscle growth, chicken protein was a significantly better source than beef protein.

Chicken protein was also a better source of arginine, leucine and sulfur-containing amino acids such as methionine and cysteine than beef protein.

More detailed information
about what the researchers' findings can be seen here.

View attachment 15625
I was tangentially aware of the difference in the egg preparation between here and the states, but not the details about the coating on the egg itself. I’m assuming the contents would be similar raw in either case if that’s case.

Was also unaware of the difference between Amino acid content in chicken versus beef. That’s pretty interesting. I’ll have to add chicken thighs to my diet.

What about creatine content in chicken versus beef? I’ve always been under the assumption that beef was the clear winner in natural creatine consumption. I still supplement with micronized creatine monohydrate daily, so beef consumption isn’t going to make or break my creatine levels.

This is it here.
Thanks! I’m going to check and see if we can get it imported.

I was tangentially aware of the difference in the egg preparation between here and the states, but not the details about the coating on the egg itself. I’m assuming the contents would be similar raw in either case if that’s case.

"Oddballs"

Other countries, who just leave the don't wash them and leave the protective covering on them, have no problems.

As the article noted, the Americans, Japanese and Scandinavians are the only one wash eggs; which means we then need to refrigerate them. That is stupid and even though eggs are cheap, it drives of the cost.

Was also unaware of the difference between Amino acid content in chicken versus beef.

Different Proteins, Different Amino Acids

I realized there were different amino acids in various proteins.

Protein Powders

Most usually list the percentage of amino acids on the label.

As we know...

1) Whey is high in Leucine (mTOR...growth amino)

2) Caseinate has more glutamine (recovery amino)

3) Soy has a good Branch Chain Amino Acid mix and is high in glutamine.

However, Soy, right or wrong, still is a questionable source.

4) Pea Protein is a good source of Leucine.

However, as Dr Ben Bikman noted, the protein absorption is inferior to animal based proteins.

5) Whole Egg

As the described in TV Ad, "The incredibly, eatable egg."

Once the gold standard of protein quality; replaced by Whey.

Eggs remain to be one of the best. The cost per gram of real Whole Eggs is one of the best.

People who dump the yoke and only consume the Egg White are idiots.

What about creatine content in chicken versus beef? I’ve always been under the assumption that beef was the clear winner in natural creatine consumption. I still supplement with micronized creatine monohydrate daily, so beef consumption isn’t going to make or break my creatine levels.

Creatine In Chicken

It appears that chicken still has a good amount of creatine.

Meat has a high creatine content
, particularly steak (5g of creatine per kg of uncooked beef), chicken (3.4g/kg), and rabbit (3.4g/kg). Eggs and fish are also good sources of creatine.

Last edited:
@Andi-in-BKK, while vegetable sources of protein may not be "as good" remember that the "better" can be the enemy of the good, too. I recall reading in one of Pavel's books that Russian bodybuilders used to get by on soy animal feed, if memory serves.

Both of my sons are dairy intolerant (as is my wife) and there's a brand of protein powder called 1stphorm that both boys like. It's called Vegan Power Pro. I've also had it a few times and, so far, it hasn't killed me.

-S-

@Andi-in-BKK, while vegetable sources of protein may not be "as good" remember that the "better" can be the enemy of the good, too. I recall reading in one of Pavel's books that Russian bodybuilders used to get by on soy animal feed, if memory serves.

Both of my sons are dairy intolerant (as is my wife) and there's a brand of protein powder called 1stphorm that both boys like. It's called Vegan Power Pro. I've also had it a few times and, so far, it hasn't killed me.

-S-
I’ve seen that one advertised around. Is it a pea protein base or something else?

The only protein source I’m saying hard no on is going to be soy. Seems like there are too many hormonal effects from it to justify using it.

Just throwing this out there, Hydrolizyed whey is one of the most hypoallergelic proteins known to man. It is often cheaper than the veggie proteins and won't effect you like other forms of whey.

It is pre-digested for your comfort!

Just throwing this out there, Hydrolizyed whey is one of the most hypoallergelic proteins known to man. It is often cheaper than the veggie proteins and won't effect you like other forms of whey.

It is pre-digested for your comfort!
I’ll have to look at the whey I’ve got. I think it’s just basic ON, either hydrolizyed or isolate but I feel like crap with it. Might be worth looking at hydrolizyed if I’m using isolate.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom