all posts post new thread

Old Forum Getting started with Rucking

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BoBandy69

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all,

I was just wondering, all of you who swear by rucking, what reputable resources (websites, books, guides) you would suggest to someone who is looking to learn about rucking. I have no true experience with it but it sounds like a great form of conditioning that I would actually enjoy to do. Any advice on equipment would be welcome as well.

Just a little background on me and my goals. Currently I am working exclusively on S&S, have been working on it since September. I can meet the goals with the 24kg (Swings: 4:30, TGUs: 8:03) and am slowly adding in sets with the 32kg. I am 5' 10" 145lbs, and am looking to build strength and strength endurance, and don't really care about mass gain.

Thanks!

David-

Check out GORUCK. They are a company that put on events and manufacture ruck sacks. There's plenty to read under their news blog.

As for training it's really pretty simple: put weight in a backpack and go walk. Increase weight. When that becomes easy then begin to increase distance. Never run. It's a fast walk/shuffle.

Take your time with the progress. Your body needs to adapt to walking under load. It's not just muscle strength but the conditioning of your feet, ligaments, tendons, bones, etc. That really can't be rushed.

As for equipment: any pack will do. Depends what you want to spend and how much weight you are looking to carry. I own a GORUCK GR1. I load it with a couple of 20lb sandbag fillers (also purchased through GORUCK). You could get a used ALICE pack off eBay for a fraction of the cost and load your pack with cinderblock if cost is an issue. I prefer the sandbags in my ruck because sand is disposable. If I go out for a long ruck and I twist and ankle or get too fatigued I can always dump the weight. If I've loaded the pack with stuff  I want to keep (like camping gear or one of those high speed steel plates) then I'm stuck carrying it back. A decent pair of hiking books too. It's good to have something with support, cushioning, stability, etc.

And try to find somewhere to do this other than the paved roads. Trails and beaches work great. It you have to do it on the road then be extra cautious on the weight and distance you go.

I love to go hiking and camping. I started rucking so I could be in condition to hike and camp. I started S&S as an "offseason" conditioning program. The two together are an unbeatable combination.

Best to you,

-Al S.

is there a benefit to rucking over long slow distance running - is it easier on the joints, are the endurance benefits to muscles and lungs similar?  if I am training for a running event, like a 1/2marathon or longer (just as a finisher not as a true competitor), would it benefit me to replace a medium or long distance running day with a ruck? my interest is on joint longevity and being able to run a long distance race annually for years to come (im 49).  currently I keep it 90% on trails and I try to sprint/walk much more than jog, but to keep longer distance events in reach I feel I need to log "time on my feet", would a ruck be a better way to get that time in?

David, what a timely thread. I just went on my first real ruck this morning. I put in 25lbs cause that seemed about right. Kept up nose breathing the whole time and only felt it a little in my legs.

Al, why no roads, is it hard on your joints?

Marchese - Rucking is walking with weight so you're going to get a benefit to the upper body as well as lower. Is it easier on joints? Hard to say. There's much less impact because you're walking and not running but there's the effect of the load you're carrying and how far and fast you're going. I don't think you can replace your runs with rucking when preparing for a race. Certainly in the offseason or early on in your preparation but I think you'll still have to log the long, slow, distance running As race time approaches.

My experience as a Marine is all I can share with you. We need to hear from Al Ciampa on this for the technical explanation. Maybe he'll post.

Phil E. - Rucking on pavement with any serious weight for any length of time is brutal on your feet especially if you're a beginner. If I am forced to train on the paved road I usually cut my distance or weight. 25 lbs is highly motivated to start. How far or long did you go? Tell us how you feel tomorrow.

-Al S.

Thanks Al, i'm definitely interested in adding it into my routine, mainly because I love the time spent out in the woods on the trails (so does my dog) so any excuse to turn that time into training is an big plus.  I tried a weighted vest about 3 years ago, but like an idiot placed 70lbs into it for first go round and was close to hallucinating after my 4 mile loop (plus those weighted vests look a little scary to the common trail runner/dog walker - it looks like you have a bomb strapped across your chest-you get a lot of strange looks).  I know Al C has posted on rucking in the past I will give those posts another spin.  thanks for the feedback and thanks for your service to our country.

Marchese - I almost fell out of my chair with your reference to the weight vest. I have a 50lb V-Max weight vest and the first time I went walking around the neighborhood I got all sorts of weird stares. The mailman finally stopped me and asked what I was doing. He still thought it was weird but he lost that frightened look.

It' a great workout and even better when you take the dog!!!

I know Al Ciampa wrote he was going to come out with a few articles on rucking. Hopefully soon. His stuff is awesome.

From military experience (almost 8 years now) and carrying loads anywhere from 30lbs for a mile to close to 100lbs to 15 miles I would not recommend it as a way to get in shape. Although it does help with conditioning it takes more out of you than it gives. I have also seen a lot of injuries from it (bad knees, injured backs, hip problems, compartment syndrome and whole lot of others).

The only thing I would recommend it for is someone who actually needed to ruck or carry heavy loads such as military, special forces, or hikers and mountaineers.

I also personally believe carrying heavy rucksacks for long distances is more about mental toughness than physical fitness.

To the OP: You already have a kettlebell - carry it.  It's not what you asked but it is excellent exercise.  I believe Dan John has written on this subject, and I've seen things from Grey Cook as well.  E.g., put a kettlebell oveerhead, walk, lower to the rack when fatigue starts to set in, walk some more, lower to farmer's walk position, walk some more, then switch sides and repeat.

-S-

Haha, I put 35lbs on my back and thought hmm, nope, better go with a 25lb plate. Must’ve been about a mile — on a paved road! I didn’t go totally stupid, I had towels in the bottom to distribute the weight. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow.

Phil, I just walked back from the grocery store, which is about a mile away, with 40 lbs. of groceries distributed between a back pack with a hip strap and two grocery bags.

You'll be fine. :)

-S-

I re-started my weighted vest walks after a brief hideous.  They can feel brutal during - but after I take the vest off - feel great.  I strongly agree, the looks you get are often interesting.

My wife and lived in D.C. last year - every time I went for a vest walk, my wife would tell me I was going to get put on a list some where.

Well, I'm qualified to comment -- I even worked as a mountaineering porter.  Personally I don't intentionally ruck.  I've got it covered with swings/squats/deads on one side and hiking and jogging on the other.  With hike/jogs you can do a mind trick and tell yourself you're recreating.  But add some weight, and nope, now you are training.  But if you know you have a backpacking trip coming up or if you serve, and you don't hike all the time already, then yes, there are specific adaptations in the feet and ankles from rucking.

I feel pretty good overall, and jammed through my S&S session this morning. I was definitely tired last night, but that was with the ruck on top of some pretty heavy barbell pressing, obviously unwise to do that much in one day. Maybe all the TGUs and the occasional carry session are paying off for me? I live in a forest, so there’s really no need for me to walk on roads, it’s just that there are no good places to get a cheeseburger in the forest. I’ll be doing my rucking in the woods from now on. ;)

Phil E. -

That's good training! Take it slow and allow the body to adapt and the feet to toughen.

I've also experienced the WTH effect from S+S. It has really helped me in my strength and stamina under load.

Keep on ruckin'

-Al S.

Mr. Ciampa, may I also email you for more information? Although my circumstances are not the same as David's (35 yo, desk jockey, 5'10, 183 lbs), I am also interested in starting to ruck, and wish to do so intelligently and as safely as possible.

Superb article! Hopefully I won't be called upon for combat in mountainous terrain soon, but I've been rucking 2-3 times a week lately. I'm just getting a feel for the weight and distance, but the advice on gait, where to look and heart rate was excellent for me.

The heart rate is interesting. Mine has been 110-120 during these recent rucks, experimenting with both 15 and 25 lb. I wasn't really sure where it would be, but I think the Texas weather will take care of getting it up to 120-130 in short order here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom