all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getups with low ceiling

Edward321

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all,

Just moved to a new location that will have snow on the ground in the coming months, so I will have to do my S&S training in my garage. My garage has a low ceiling so I can not fully extend my arm overhead in the standing position of the getup. To accommodate this, I plan on bringing the KB to a rack position in the kneeling lunge and keeping it there while I stand up. After I kneel back down I will push the KB back up to an overhead position and complete my getup.

Are there any potential drawbacks or risks to this getup modification, like overworking my shoulder?

Thanks

Background:
- 24 year old male
- no history of major injuries or problems with OHP
- doing S&S for about 6 months
- about 1 year of KB experience
- S&S progress: 24KG for all sets, 3 days a week

I deal with the same issue in my garage. I either put the bell in the rack before standing or only go up to my knee if I’m using the 32KG bell or heavier.
I’d just say make sure you’re not limiting the get up to what you can press. Nothing wrong w only going to the hand or the knee w a bigger bell.

@Edward321, welcome to the StrongFirst forum. Your plan sounds fine to me.

-S-
Thanks Steve.
I deal with the same issue in my garage. I either put the bell in the rack before standing or only go up to my knee if I’m using the 32KG bell or heavier.
I’d just say make sure you’re not limiting the get up to what you can press. Nothing wrong w only going to the hand or the knee w a bigger bell.
Danny thanks for the reply. I will try only going to the kneeling position when I start adding in 32kg bells. I can press the 24kg bell fine but I am not sure about the jump to 32kg. Thanks for the advice.

I only do half kneeling getups as my knee does not like lunge/split squats. I think it’s still a valuable movement even without standing up.

I deal with the same issue in my basement. Living in northern Wisconsin means that it's not feasible to practice outside for at least half the year, so I have to make due with low ceilings. What I've been doing is not standing up from the lunge position. So far, this has worked okay, though I recognize it's not a pure getup, as discussed in S&S. I'm also compelled to check out the racked getup, as another member posted above, which looks intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom