all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

So today was supposed to be week 4 day 2 of the 2.0 with 32s, 25 minute density week.

I have no idea why I did this but I ended up doing a warm up with 36s and did a 30 minute ladder session with them! Without completely wrecking myself I managed 53 reps in 29 minutes.

I'm thinking of starting either the 1.0 or 2.0 on Monday with the 36s!

Very excited!
Outstanding

I know Geoff doesn’t have a version like this, but I’d almost want to try it going 4 on Monday, 5 on wed, 2 on Friday’s but we’ll see…
That’s about what I did last summer.
At the end of my first run of 3.0, I could do about 60 reps on heavy day (with sets of 3)
I took 4 more weeks and did this:
3, 4, 2 x 2 weeks
4, 5, 3 x 2 weeks

I was doing 60 reps minimum per session, this gave me tons of confidence (and better cardio, conditioning) before I start 1.0.

It’s like the slow and steady version of the Giant.

That’s about what I did last summer.
At the end of my first run of 3.0, I could do about 60 reps on heavy day (with sets of 3)
I took 4 more weeks and did this:
3, 4, 2 x 2 weeks
4, 5, 3 x 2 weeks

I was doing 60 reps minimum per session, this gave me tons of confidence (and better cardio, conditioning) before I start 1.0.

It’s like the slow and steady version of the Giant.
It's cool to see people making up their own "3.1" or "3.2" rep schemes (or other variations). IMO, this can make a lot of sense once you have some experience with the overall program structure and how you respond to it.

I’m finding the ladders in 2.0 pretty refreshing and I’m definitely stronger with the clean and press. Each rep of the C+P has just about took on a sublime happiness to it if I’m honest. The press is flying up in every rep and I had to auto regulate otherwise I’d have a hell of a time bettering previous sets by the 4th week. I’ve also took up running after the giant session and on the off day I am doing the half Olympic complex for 30 minutes. (Snatchx5, Pressx5, Squatx5). This has given me an appetite that is really not funny and trying to fit enough chow down my throat on a 16:8 fast is irksome to say the least.

I’m finding the ladders in 2.0 pretty refreshing and I’m definitely stronger with the clean and press. Each rep of the C+P has just about took on a sublime happiness to it if I’m honest. The press is flying up in every rep and I had to auto regulate otherwise I’d have a hell of a time bettering previous sets by the 4th week. I’ve also took up running after the giant session and on the off day I am doing the half Olympic complex for 30 minutes. (Snatchx5, Pressx5, Squatx5). This has given me an appetite that is really not funny and trying to fit enough chow down my throat on a 16:8 fast is irksome to say the least.
Yup. The ladders in 2.0 are great.....just wait until day three though, that top set gasses ya!

I always go against my better judgement and wreck myself on my “rest week” lol. I’m normally “Jones-ing” for some kettlebells by Wednesday. Yesterday I did a loaded carry workout 5 rounds of 5 elevated push-ups, 5 cleans 100ft racked carry, then back down 5 push ups, 5 cleans farmers carry back. Then I did some rounds of 5 push ups 5 deadlifts loaded carry and back lol. Finished with 1 arm swings all with 28KGS I was smooooooked after and was feeling wrecked this morning haha. Did a ice bath in the morning then light cardio and lots of yoga and mobility lol. I’m looking forward to getting back into my next round of the giant next week so I don’t continue to wreck myself.

I always go against my better judgement and wreck myself on my “rest week” lol. I’m normally “Jones-ing” for some kettlebells by Wednesday. Yesterday I did a loaded carry workout 5 rounds of 5 elevated push-ups, 5 cleans 100ft racked carry, then back down 5 push ups, 5 cleans farmers carry back. Then I did some rounds of 5 push ups 5 deadlifts loaded carry and back lol. Finished with 1 arm swings all with 28KGS I was smooooooked after and was feeling wrecked this morning haha. Did a ice bath in the morning then light cardio and lots of yoga and mobility lol. I’m looking forward to getting back into my next round of the giant next week so I don’t continue to wreck myself.
I'm going to be doing a lot of "Jones-ing" for awhile. I went the orthopedist today for my achy shoulder. Bone on bone arthritis. Doctor said he couldn't believe the range of motion that I had and said if he just looked at the X-ray, he'd be scheduling me for shoulder replacement. Ugh. Funny thing is, vertical pressing does not bother it. Anyway, asked for a cortisone shot, just to stop the inflammation, need to do nothing for awhile. Probably will get it done in the fall with 6 week recovery. Bad foot, bad shoulder, injuries stink. Can't even do yoga right now.

Wait a month and evaluate. I want to get through golf season. Probably do lots of swings and squats.

This program had NOTHING to do with the arthritis. Vertical pressing does not affect it. The Giant is awesome. It's the horizontal, band pullaparts, chest press garbage that did it. I still be here offering my commentary.

I'm going to be doing a lot of "Jones-ing" for awhile. I went the orthopedist today for my achy shoulder. Bone on bone arthritis. Doctor said he couldn't believe the range of motion that I had and said if he just looked at the X-ray, he'd be scheduling me for shoulder replacement. Ugh. Funny thing is, vertical pressing does not bother it. Anyway, asked for a cortisone shot, just to stop the inflammation, need to do nothing for awhile. Probably will get it done in the fall with 6 week recovery. Bad foot, bad shoulder, injuries stink. Can't even do yoga right now.

Wait a month and evaluate. I want to get through golf season. Probably do lots of swings and squats.

This program had NOTHING to do with the arthritis. Vertical pressing does not affect it. The Giant is awesome. It's the horizontal, band pullaparts, chest press garbage that did it. I still be here offering my commentary.
Brian, years ago I gave up barbell lifting because of years of chasing that heavy bench. It caused havoc on my shoulders.
Be patient my friend, you'll be back with a vengeance!

Brian, years ago I gave up barbell lifting because of years of chasing that heavy bench. It caused havoc on my shoulders.
Be patient my friend, you'll be back with a vengeance!
Thank you. Funniest part was the doctor said, "You'll have to wait 3 months if I give you a cortisone shot." I replied, "I just had one last week for my foot, Now it will be 14 weeks instead of 13." HAHAHAHA.

I wallowed in my misery with 2 doughnuts at the coffee shop. Now have to lock in that since I can't walk, run, do yoga or lift for 3 or 4 weeks.

Thank you. Funniest part was the doctor said, "You'll have to wait 3 months if I give you a cortisone shot." I replied, "I just had one last week for my foot, Now it will be 14 weeks instead of 13." HAHAHAHA.

I wallowed in my misery with 2 doughnuts at the coffee shop. Now have to lock in that since I can't walk, run, do yoga or lift for 3 or 4 weeks.
You know what you can do .. breathing. Why don't you try focusing on breathing technique and exercises ???

Hm… I seem to remember there was a pretty known book mentioned here that prescribed daily longtime deadhangs for that kind of problem… but maybe I remember it wrongly. I think I even read it and it was why I started practicing them. But as I said…maybe my memories don’t serve me well here, I’ll try to look it up…

That sucks hopefully you don’t need surgery! How do swings and goblet squats effect your shoulder?

That sucks hopefully you don’t need surgery! How do swings and goblet squats effect your shoulder?
The surgery is inevitable. It's more about the tolerance. I'm going to do it in the fall.

The swings and squats don't affect it. Unfortunately, my foot is dinged right now as well and had a cortisone shot last week.

Once things heal, at the beginning of March, I'm plan on lots of swings and squats.

I did the giant 1.0 the last 4 weeks and wanted to share my results.

In the beginning i tested double
16kg - comfortable 11
20kg - comfortable 6
and went with the 16kg as i did more heavy pressing the weeks before and wanted a little hypertrophy. Besides that more reps mean more opportunities to refine technique.
I used the 20/25/30/25 split

weekrepsreps per minute

Additionally i did some liss (rowing, swimming, rucking) and Daily Dose Deadlift.
I think i got lot's of reps in the beginning but could also up these a lot over the 4 weeks and both my goals (hypertrophy and technique) making progress but i don't want to draw a conclusion before 1.1 and 1.2 are over.

Back
Top Bottom