all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

As an example. Today I started the 1.1 and although I was excited to start the 1.0 with 36s I decided to stay the course with 32s and hit up the higher rep sets of the last phases. I had acgood workout with the 36s last Wednesday and a so so workout Friday. Be conservative and smart is my new motto!!
I went with a 30 minute session as a bit of a change. In 27:22 I complete 9 rounds of 6, 54 reps. I was fatigued. I certainly feel like it's enough for sure! .... Straight sets are tougher than ladders! I learned this again today! The 2.0 eases you into high rep sets with ladders but nothing preps you for multiple sets back to back. Wednesday will be fun. I can hardly wait!

Yesterday I was sort of depressed; we have a pipe leakage and I felt good (before the leakage) so wanted to try my 40 press.

So warmed up, discovered the leakage, depressed, tried it anyway, wouldn't bulge.

So spent the whole day thinking about other plans to get me to that 40 in the next 12 weeks (expires 6 months for level 2 video).

The plan for today was a rep max test with a single 32, see where it is and do or Victorious or Rite of Passage. Long story short: did 8 + 8 clean & press with a single 32, which is a 3 rep, all time, PR.

Moral of this story: Sick with the Giant, and don't complain anymore!

Edit: any recommendations for after this cycle? Try 3.0 with double 32's or 1.1 with 28's? Goal: press that freaking 40 already!

I don't think giant is your best bet for driving your max press. To get this up i would use Soju & Tuba, Strong Phase 1 with press or Victorious.

After injuring my shoulder in prep for the SFG 2, I couldn't press a 36 for months, and after the Giant 3.0 could do 5 rounds of 1 + 1, and now increased my 32 to 8, so I definitely got stronger.

Soju an tuba uses 1 bell lower then your 1 RM(36), that will be 32 for me, but I can press 32 for 8. So maybe of I am able to press the 36 for 2, I can try that! Thanks!

You are welcome. And i think you will also get very good progress in max strength with S&T as the higher reps and higher volume of the giant is a very good base to go after max strength.
I did it 2 times and got a heavier bell afterwards in both cases. My second run was with a 2rep max. and went also very well.

I think you should use the 36 for S&T.

Yesterday I was sort of depressed; we have a pipe leakage and I felt good (before the leakage) so wanted to try my 40 press.

So warmed up, discovered the leakage, depressed, tried it anyway, wouldn't bulge.

So spent the whole day thinking about other plans to get me to that 40 in the next 12 weeks (expires 6 months for level 2 video).

The plan for today was a rep max test with a single 32, see where it is and do or Victorious or Rite of Passage. Long story short: did 8 + 8 clean & press with a single 32, which is a 3 rep, all time, PR.

Moral of this story: Sick with the Giant, and don't complain anymore!

Edit: any recommendations for after this cycle? Try 3.0 with double 32's or 1.1 with 28's? Goal: press that freaking 40 already!
I love running Giant but to get that 40 up, dont you think you might need a dedicated single KB pressing program? Only suggesting this because you have a very specific target and a set timeline, so rather than focusing on exercises that will have a carry over to your single KB press, you might benefit from a dedicated pressing program. Maybe Victorious 1 or 2? (full disclosure I haven't done either, but I plan to soon). I've also heard from those that pressed heavy kettlebells that a barbell OHP had a great carry over ! maybe something to consider as well !! Good luck !!

I have a similar goal as yours for this year .. i.e. press 40kg (not linked to my BW .. 1/2 BW is closer to 44kg), current 1RM is 36kg. I shouldn't even be trying to lift that 40kg now .. not until I can do 5 reps with 36kg. This is a goal for the 2nd half of the year.

I made up my mind and will leave the Giant for now, which I still absolutely love!

This Monday I will start with the 8 week Victorious 2, with an easy 'Simple Strength for Difficult Times' integrated. So the press wil be my #1 focus, but will add some squats and pulls to have full body session.

Speaking of which, the TRM testing from SSFDT made my legs explode and sore! Did 6 double front squat @ 24's, 28's, 32's, 22 walking lunges with 24's, 16 + 16 bw pistol squat from a 16" box (and 24 kg pull up for 6, One-Arm row 32 for 11 and 16 bw chin up). But I'll use 123, 235, 358 ladders

If I don't succeed with V2, I still have a little time for Soju & Tuba (L)

I made up my mind and will leave the Giant for now, which I still absolutely love!

This Monday I will start with the 8 week Victorious 2, with an easy 'Simple Strength for Difficult Times' integrated. So the press wil be my #1 focus, but will add some squats and pulls to have full body session.

Speaking of which, the TRM testing from SSFDT made my legs explode and sore! Did 6 double front squat @ 24's, 28's, 32's, 22 walking lunges with 24's, 16 + 16 bw pistol squat from a 16" box (and 24 kg pull up for 6, One-Arm row 32 for 11 and 16 bw chin up). But I'll use 123, 235, 358 ladders

If I don't succeed with V2, I still have a little time for Soju & Tuba (L)
Brilliant !! Good luck. Since you are pressing 32 and 36(?), I would also recommend you to consider to Big Bell Theory Plan by @Zsolt Derzsi.

Link is not handy, but easy to search the articles written by Zsolt to find it. In that look at the plan that says "32kg to 40kg". That could also be another option after you run Victorious 2.

Good luck and will be looking forward to hearing your progress.

Brilliant !! Good luck. Since you are pressing 32 and 36(?), I would also recommend you to consider to Big Bell Theory Plan by @Zsolt Derzsi.

Tried this one before, but it's a bizarre program. I could press the 36 at that moment, but I got stuck when I had to press the 36 for two. A friend of mine actually did this program after completing V2 with 24,28,32 and ultra heavy 36, and still had a hard time!

Tried this one before, but it's a bizarre program. I could press the 36 at that moment, but I got stuck when I had to press the 36 for two. A friend of mine actually did this program after completing V2 with 24,28,32 and ultra heavy 36, and still had a hard time!
Yes, I've never done that program because it just didn't look realistic (at least for me) on paper.

In contrast, I've done a couple of rounds of the 5TRM program from an article here, with good results. It's based on a 5TRM (Technical Rep Max) and uses two different bell sizes, a main working weight (90% 5TRM) and an overload weight (105-110% 5TRM). Although it's billed as a squat plan, the article says it's based on a Plan Strong press program. So I just adapted it back to the press:

5TRM Program

There's another article with a similar plan based on a 1TRM. It has a little more waviness in the volume from week to week and uses three different bell sizes, a main working weight (75% 1TRM +/-5%), and two overload bells (85-90% 1TRM and 95-100% 1TRM). The article says you can approximate the percentages somewhat with bell sizes, and it gives the example of a 36kg 1TRM, where you could use 28kg as the main bell, 32kg as the first overload bell, and 36kg for the second overload bell. I haven't done the 1TRM program, but on paper and based on my positive experience with the 5TRM program, it looks very promising for someone with a 36kg max who wants to get to 40:

1TRM Program

Both programs use 2, 3, 5 ladders, have medium, low, and high volume days, and incorporate singles with the overload bell(s) on the low volume days. I really enjoyed this format in the 5TRM program. Even though the volume escalated over the course of the program, the perceived level of effort stayed about the same throughout. By the end, it didn't feel any easier, but I was doing a higher volume, and after the deload in the last week, I felt really strong. I did it for one-arm C&P with 28kg as my main bell and 32kg as my overload bell. During the actual program, I had some 5 rep sets where I had to grind the last rep, but on test day of the deload week, the bell all of a sudden felt a lot lighter. I didn't test my 1RM, but I tested my 28kg RM and got 12L/10R, holding each rep locked out overhead for a count of three, and stopping when the last rep slowed down. I was happy with that because I'm usually bad at higher reps and usually run out of gas pretty soon after 5, even with lighter weights.

Last edited:
So I'd been agonizing over this for the last month while running 1.0 with the 32s: I couldn't shake the idea that they were too heavy for this rep scheme for me, despite hitting volume numbers that were low but not shameful.

I've been stressing throughout each session, wondering how much grinding I was going to have to tolerate (I know, I know - there isn't supposed to be any!) in order not to have performed too little work by the end. On 6-rep day, the last couple of sets each felt like a max effort. Ego lifting has always been a problem for me, and I realized today that it was ego that had me persisting with the 32s. I'd been trying to ignore some ever-present aches, uncharacteristic fatigue and worse sleep, even when really pacing myself. After a long break from kettlebell training, I think jumping back in with 32s was a little too much for my lower back straight out of the gate, in addition to my hands and wrists. I'm sure if I'd given 3.0 an extra run early on, and then given 1.0 another go, I could have made them work for me; but then I wasn't sure I wanted to only clean and press for seven months.

Today I made the decision to drop back to my newly-acquired 28s and commence 2.0. Suddenly I feel that I'm using the right intensity for me, and hitting 60 reps (vs my PB of 48 with the 32s) gave me the features I was hoping for from The Giant: shorter rests, more work for my heart and lungs, and a higher total tonnage. I feel fresher now, too, even though I was a little more 'wiped' right at the end of the session. The next 12 weeks are looking brighter for my energy and satisfaction before I move on to something else for a while. It'll still be 20 weeks all up of The Giant!

Moral of the story, for me anyway: don't be afraid to lose the ego and reduce the weight. Go with your gut.

Tried this one before, but it's a bizarre program. I could press the 36 at that moment, but I got stuck when I had to press the 36 for two. A friend of mine actually did this program after completing V2 with 24,28,32 and ultra heavy 36, and still had a hard
Interesting to know that it didn’t work. Then maybe volume is the name of the game? I can’t recollect the article but I remember reading about how someone got a 1/2 BW press. If I can find the sticker easily I’ll share it but I remember that sticker having a few interesting points.

Back
Top Bottom