all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

If I don’t find a decent supplier for another 40kg (dimensions as close as possible to the 40kg I already own) I intend to run the giant with a single 40kg. That’s ages away though and assuming I don’t just buy 2 new 40kg. I’ve shared pics of my kettlebells on here before and they have unique dimensions. Wolversons come closest to their design.

Just from a personal perspective I think it would be great! I think @Cearball theorized that the Giant in single bell fashion would be a great fat loss tool since you have twice the time under tension which really raises the heart rate....doing left side and right side one after the other. I think he may be right, though I haven't tried it yet. As to muscle gains, just because you may gain more with double bells certainly doesn't mean you won't gain any with a single bell. I say go for it.

I do have this theory & that insight mainly comes from running the "rite of passage."

I also think it may be a good "same but different approach". The times I have injured myself I have mainly been plugging away at the same movement for too long.
I hurt my shoulder during one of my giant sessions if I remember correctly. But I had been doing alot of overhead work beforehand the giant. Months & months & months.
Not enough variation I feel can sometimes come & bite me.

By switching to single limb versions you can assess whether there's too much imbalance between one side & the other. I often get this issue in my right side "core". Whether it's because of previous injuries or what I don't know.

Last edited:
I do have this theory & that insight mainly comes from running the "rite of passage."

I also think it may be a good "same but different approach". The times I have injured myself I have mainly been plugging away at the same movement for too long.
I hurt my shoulder during one of my giant sessions if I remember correctly. But I had been doing alot of overhead work beforehand the giant. Months & months & months.
Not enough variation I feel can sometimes come & bite me.

By switching to single limb versions you can assess whether there's too much imbalance between one side & the other. I often get this issue in my right side "core". Whether it's because of previous injuries or what I don't know.
Yup, the ROP. I remember getting super high heart rates doing those ladders! Dan John is also a fan of the one arm press. He pointed out a couple of things that stood out in my mind. In addition to extra overall time under tension there's the actual weight...generally speaking if one can do a set of five clean and presses with double 24s, this same person very likely will be able to do 5 left then 5 right with a 28....each arm can get a heavier bell. Midsection gets extra hammering too.

Over the last seven or eight months, I've been rotating single bell C&P programs with double bell programs: various permutations of DFW, Giant 1.0, the 5TRM program from an article on this site, and now a program of double clean, press and FSQ complexes that I designed and am giving an experimental run. During that time, I have run both Giant 1.0 and the 5TRM program as both doubles and singles. I haven't strictly alternated singles and doubles, and have probably done more doubles in that time.

I think there are advantages to mixing it up.

The technique is different so it's a nice mental and neurological challenge to focus on refining two different grooves. I suspect there's some same-but-different, specialized variety synergism between them, both in terms of carryover from one to the other, and also in giving your body a break from the same thing all the time.

I can lift more weight, or the same weight for more reps, with singles, so rotating between them gives some additional variety in loading and volume. I definitely feel like there's a role for using single-bells to transition to heavier weights for doubles.

Besides the difference in technique, there are two other big practical differences.

One is that with doubles, you get in lots of double cleans. So your cleans are twice the load and there's a significant effect on hinge power and conditioning from the cleans. With singles, the cleans are much lower powered, so even though you do twice as many, the power component is way, way submaximal. Even though you're doing twice the hinge reps, it feels subjectively like a lot less work.

Two is that your time under tension for all your core and stabilizer muscles is twice as much. You have to keep getting tight and staying tight twice as many times, for twice the total time. It also means you are starting your second arm reps right at the time you would be done with a set of double bells, so you're starting that second arm set in a fatigued state. That's why I always go first with my non-dominant side, because I want the rest of my body to be fresh when I'm pressing with that arm.

However, when I did an RM test at the end of my last single-bell program, I did it the other way, dominant side first, but I rested 10 minutes between sides (in regular training I always switch on the fly and do both sides without putting the bell down). I did it like this because I wanted my strong side to set the pace and put up the biggest number possible for my weaker side to try to match. I felt like mentally, my weaker side would tend to give out sooner without that number to shoot for. I then took a nice long rest so the rest of my body would be fresh for the presses on my non-dominant side.

I don't know if I would call doing both sides separately as necessarily more "conditioning" in a general sense. But in a specific sense, I did feel it had some carryover to shorter sets with doubles. My body was used to staying tight for longer and more reps in a row, so it was easier to stay tight though shorter sets.

One additional point, which is sort of related, but not directly to singles vs. doubles. In my complex program that I've been doing for about the last month, on the lowest volume day, I have been doing all the cleans before the presses and doing consecutive MPs instead of C&P. The MPs have a very different feel. They are more locally fatiguing to the pressing muscles because you don't get any break between press reps, and the skill of getting tight in the rack is different when lowering from overhead compared to catching a clean. I've done a lot of straight MPs in the past, but not for a long time, and since I started this recent emphasis on C&P programs I have only done C&P, so it's been a bit of an adjustment. The rhythm of the C&P feels really good to me, so that's still my focus, but I'm seeing a lot of benefit to mixing in straight MPs.

I was hoping to give myself a month of practicing double C&P x singles in order to start 3.0 ( first time ), but today I thought I’d just start a “practice run” and start it. 2x20kg, plenty of rest between sets and focusing on form. I’m only doing 20 mins. Managed 9 sets of 2. I feel I could have definitely done more, but, it’s my first double kb program so I’m just going to ease into it. I’ll probably run it again straight after I finish it. Will do the big 3 and getups on 2 of the other days

I was hoping to give myself a month of practicing double C&P x singles in order to start 3.0 ( first time ), but today I thought I’d just start a “practice run” and start it. 2x20kg, plenty of rest between sets and focusing on form. I’m only doing 20 mins. Managed 9 sets of 2. I feel I could have definitely done more, but, it’s my first double kb program so I’m just going to ease into it. I’ll probably run it again straight after I finish it. Will do the big 3 and getups on 2 of the other days
9x2 in 20 is a pretty good first day in my book. Remember it's strength work utilizing a 5 rep max!

I keep getting email about Geoffs Strong program. Usually talking about how strong someone got or added more muscle. How does it compare to the Giant? Straightforward programming or more complex? I don't want to use the word better, but is more more geared to muscle or strength than the other?

I keep getting email about Geoffs Strong program. Usually talking about how strong someone got or added more muscle. How does it compare to the Giant? Straightforward programming or more complex? I don't want to use the word better, but is more more geared to muscle or strength than the other?
No, it has distinct strength, hypertrophy and conditioning blocks. Based on starting bell of 4-5RM so a great complement to The Giant.

I think you need to look at KB Strong a bit broadly as it is primarily an instruction based product supplemented by a program. The value in it is really the instructional videos going through all the Double KB movements. All my double KB work is based on the instructions and cues that I have seen on KB Strong. The program is a bonus for sure. As the post above mentions it is 3 stage program, first you build strength, next you build volume, and finally you build conditioning. The programming is based on wavy volume and intensity but has a nice and slow ramp up to it. I would say this .. if you are patient and consistent and don't get distracted with other stuff, this program will deliver results.

I've been on KB Strong's Ph 2 Slow and Steady program, but paused roughly one month into the program (out of 4 months) due to injury and doing a block of other training for 4-6 weeks. I will get back to it for sure.

Generally, with the exception of the Giant 3.0 the loading parameters are the difference. (The 3.0 uses a 5RM)

The Strong Program uses a "tough 4 or 5 RM"......
This is slightly open to interpretation but here's my take as someone who's done both programs more than once....

They are both clean and press programs or their c+p variations......the Giant 1.0, the starting point of the 1 series (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) uses a 10 RM....a comfortable 10 RM. The Giant 3.0 uses a comfortable 5 RM.

Strong starts with ..... in my mind at least....a less than comfortable 4 or 5 RM. This doesn't mean sloppy, it means very tough to keep good form for 4 or 5 reps. You'd start phase 1 with them. After 8 to 12 weeks you'd start phase2 with them. The reps never go above 6 and depending on which phase 2 you use that would be several weeks. There are also predetermined amount of sets per workout with your work weights.

In my mind, start with Strong, progress through it and then hit up the Giant.

Hope that helps.

They are both clean and press programs or their c+p variations......the Giant 1.0, the starting point of the 1 series (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) uses a 10 RM....a comfortable 10 RM. The Giant 3.0 uses a comfortable 5 RM.
The accompanying guide (KB Strong) does refer to C&P as the program to run but I've read of folks using the same programming with other moves, e.g. double front squats. The structure laid out does cater to other double KB movements as well.

Other differences, that I didn't think of earlier, are

- KB Strong, as mentioned above can be applied to other double KB movements, but I've seen Giant being exclusively used with C&P and variations of C&P, e.g. C&PP and C&J, with similar success.
- KB Strong uses a fixed number of sets and fixed reps for a particular session and Giant is designed around 'autoregulation' within a chosen time block

The accompanying guide (KB Strong) does refer to C&P as the program to run but I've read of folks using the same programming with other moves, e.g. double front squats. The structure laid out does cater to other double KB movements as well.

Other differences, that I didn't think of earlier, are

- KB Strong, as mentioned above can be applied to other double KB movements, but I've seen Giant being exclusively used with C&P and variations of C&P, e.g. C&PP and C&J, with similar success.
- KB Strong uses a fixed number of sets and fixed reps for a particular session and Giant is designed around 'autoregulation' within a chosen time block
This too.

Strong still fits in the thirty minute workout a day parameters? Does it leave you relatively fresh or is it a true workout?

Strong still fits in the thirty minute workout a day parameters? Does it leave you relatively fresh or is it a true workout?
The workouts early in the program can be done under 30 mins but as the volume increases along with intensity the workouts can get a bit longer than 30 mins. Of course if your conditioning and strength endurance is top notch, you could reduce that time even more.

Really happy with starting 3.0. I think C&P is just one of those things where you learn so much, and then you just need to do lots of reps for practice, and as a noob to C&P, I’m loving 3.0. It’s not too many reps, but enough to really get form down. Wk1, day 2 today, sets of 3. Went quite well ( 10 sets in 20 min ), and the more reps you do, the more you can focus on form.

The frustrations of old injuries never really going away is biting me right now. I’ve had this nagging hip tightness/soreness that’s mostly irritated by sitting in a car and commuting the Giant never seemed to make it worst but the last two days have had me contemplating a break. Sucks though because I’m just getting rolling on another round of 3.0. It’s not a major pain just one of those annoying ones. Been resting icing, heating, walking, stretching, and putting the tens unit on and it’s helped tremendously. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow but I may end up bailing and just doing some pull ups and push ups and walking for the next few weeks. Hinging didn’t seem to irritate it but squatting did for sure.

The frustrations of old injuries never really going away is biting me right now. I’ve had this nagging hip tightness/soreness that’s mostly irritated by sitting in a car and commuting the Giant never seemed to make it worst but the last two days have had me contemplating a break. Sucks though because I’m just getting rolling on another round of 3.0. It’s not a major pain just one of those annoying ones. Been resting icing, heating, walking, stretching, and putting the tens unit on and it’s helped tremendously. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow but I may end up bailing and just doing some pull ups and push ups and walking for the next few weeks. Hinging didn’t seem to irritate it but squatting did for sure.
You had a chance to go to a physical therapist? That was a game changer for my hip.

You had a chance to go to a physical therapist? That was a game changer for my hip.
I haven’t, I really believe it’s a by product of too much sitting during the day. I used to work construction, now I’m in the office and it flares up in the days I have to drive a lot and sit at the computer. I need to look into it though, Kaiser is such a pain to deal with sometimes. It’s always (dr looks at google) “do these few stretches and here is a prescription for some pain killers” lol

Back
Top Bottom