all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

The frustrations of old injuries never really going away is biting me right now. I’ve had this nagging hip tightness/soreness that’s mostly irritated by sitting in a car and commuting the Giant never seemed to make it worst but the last two days have had me contemplating a break. Sucks though because I’m just getting rolling on another round of 3.0. It’s not a major pain just one of those annoying ones. Been resting icing, heating, walking, stretching, and putting the tens unit on and it’s helped tremendously. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow but I may end up bailing and just doing some pull ups and push ups and walking for the next few weeks. Hinging didn’t seem to irritate it but squatting did for sure.
Tight hips and glutes suck. I constantly use a small hard trigger ball. If I miss a week or two I notice it. McGill big 3 seem to help but it’s just something I have to keep on top of. And walking, walking regularly seems to really help. Good luck with it mate

The frustrations of old injuries never really going away is biting me right now. I’ve had this nagging hip tightness/soreness that’s mostly irritated by sitting in a car and commuting the Giant never seemed to make it worst but the last two days have had me contemplating a break. Sucks though because I’m just getting rolling on another round of 3.0. It’s not a major pain just one of those annoying ones. Been resting icing, heating, walking, stretching, and putting the tens unit on and it’s helped tremendously. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow but I may end up bailing and just doing some pull ups and push ups and walking for the next few weeks. Hinging didn’t seem to irritate it but squatting did for sure.
I’ve pulled mine already. Was swings that did it. I can barely put weight on my right leg. Tomorrow is my last session of 2.0 as well.

I haven’t, I really believe it’s a by product of too much sitting during the day. I used to work construction, now I’m in the office and it flares up in the days I have to drive a lot and sit at the computer. I need to look into it though, Kaiser is such a pain to deal with sometimes. It’s always (dr looks at google) “do these few stretches and here is a prescription for some pain killers” lol
I sometimes kneel at my desk to extend my hips and mimic standing. Sometimes two knees on the ground and sometimes alternating with a lunge like posture with a leg under the desk with the foot flat. A few minutes can really help me.

I haven’t, I really believe it’s a by product of too much sitting during the day. I used to work construction, now I’m in the office and it flares up in the days I have to drive a lot and sit at the computer. I need to look into it though, Kaiser is such a pain to deal with sometimes. It’s always (dr looks at google) “do these few stretches and here is a prescription for some pain killers” lol
I do lots of stretching, 90/90s frog rockers, bretzels, prying goblet squats, pigeon poses among others. Maybe I’m just being a “bitch” lol. Someone needs to invent a stand up car where one doesn’t have to sit lol
Look into it! I was doing a bunch of stretching too and I actually found that the pigeon pose and 90/90s were actually irritating my hip. Didn't realize it until the PT tho. Anyways, I empathize - good luck!

Well after a day of working from home i stuck with the Giant this morning and it didn’t it aggravate my hip any worst. We’ll see how it goes. Sometimes it actually makes it feel better getting it lubed up. Actually feel pretty solid today.

Someone needs to invent a stand up car where one doesn’t have to sit lol
For me, the best antidote to sitting, whether at a desk or in a car, is walking. I find the gentle motion it seems to encourage in the spine will help right any wrong posture, although my personal approach is to take the beginning of a walk and really try to straighten up and loosen up in various ways until it starts to feel normal and natural again - right after you get out of your chair, it won't, and if you don't go looking for better posture during a walk, I'm not sure everyone will just eventually find it; I can certainly walk with crappy posture for a long time if I'm not paying attention.

-S-

For me, the best antidote to sitting, whether at a desk or in a car, is walking. I find the gentle motion it seems to encourage in the spine will help right any wrong posture, although my personal approach is to take the beginning of a walk and really try to straighten up and loosen up in various ways until it starts to feel normal and natural again - right after you get out of your chair, it won't, and if you don't go looking for better posture during a walk, I'm not sure everyone will just eventually find it; I can certainly walk with crappy posture for a long time if I'm not paying attention.

-S-
Wholeheartedly agree Steve! I walk after a heavy training session and I like to do it consistently not for cardio per se but for the unloading and relaxing feel I get afterwards.

I've taken a look at the Strong programming and I think I'll stick with the Giant. It just seems like easier to remember programming. Here's your time and reps for the month.

I've taken a look at the Strong programming and I think I'll stick with the Giant. It just seems like easier to remember programming. Here's your time and reps for the month.
It's funny because as much as I like the Giant, one thing that appeals to me about Strong is the predetermined sets per workout. It psychologically makes me feel less pressured. To each his own!

-S-
For sure. I have been forcing myself to walk 1-2 miles during my lunch lately. And it helps.

I do lots of stretching, 90/90s frog rockers, bretzels, prying goblet squats, pigeon poses among others. Maybe I’m just being a “bitch” lol. Someone needs to invent a stand up car where one doesn’t have to sit lol
Have you tried original strength resets? I honestly think they're magic. For me, the recommended stretches for hip pain often made things worse. After adding OSR, my ROM in the stretches drastically increased without doing them.

Well to add to the team on the sidelines, I’ve now done myself a lower back injury too.

Doc agrees it’s a pinched nerve in the SI joint, and though I’ve had intermittent chronic discomfort for a few years, Tuesday’s injury was 100% my fault. I pushed through pain because I was heading nicely for a PR (heavy day in 2.0) and now I’ve crippled myself. I knew better but I ignored my inner voice.

I have a newfound understanding of you fellas who’ve put yourselves out recently! It’s extremely disheartening.

Looks like I’ll be doing my best to maintain my press with chins and dips only for a while! Will see what the sports physician says in April.

Ouch that sucks get well soon mate.

Well to add to the team on the sidelines, I’ve now done myself a lower back injury too.

Doc agrees it’s a pinched nerve in the SI joint, and though I’ve had intermittent chronic discomfort for a few years, Tuesday’s injury was 100% my fault. I pushed through pain because I was heading nicely for a PR (heavy day in 2.0) and now I’ve crippled myself. I knew better but I ignored my inner voice.

I have a newfound understanding of you fellas who’ve put yourselves out recently! It’s extremely disheartening.

Looks like I’ll be doing my best to maintain my press with chins and dips only for a while! Will see what the sports physician says in April.

Have you tried original strength resets? I honestly think they're magic. For me, the recommended stretches for hip pain often made things worse. After adding OSR, my ROM in the stretches drastically increased without doing them.

I will second this.
Worth a shot.

Even if all you tried was rocking & crawls/marching I think these in particular might help.

I used to suffer with sacroilitis in my twenties with sciatica pain down one leg.
I used to row and my back was stronger than my abdomen. The solution was to develop some core strength with dead bugs and the like.
TGU are now a staple in my training.
I started kickboxing eight years ago and started following StrongFirst soon after.
No problems with my SI joint since thankfully.

Must be in the air or something. I had to patch my last session of 2.0 as my right hip and quad and butt cheek are giving me serious jip. I’ve fought through the last 2 sessions but today I was probably going to get mangled really bad. Even light 2 arm swings I’m like a car pulling to one side and after that warmup I did 1 set of c+p and again it was the whole left side of my body taking all the strain and attempting to keep me straight so I had to concede defeat today. I can amazingly still run on whatever is happening and I foam rolled last night and it felt amazing after for all of a minute so I probably need to get in amongst it with that.

Yep, definitely something in the water. I had my last day of Giant 3.0 yesterday and then did some thoracic stretching and may have popped a rib. I was wondering what to do next but I’ll have to see how I feel tomorrow.

I did 3.0 with 2 x 24kg using the 20/25/30/25 min weekly work timings and got these results:

Wk 1 - 99 reps - 32.27 kg/hand/min
Wk 2 - 112 reps - 35.84 kg/hand/min
Wk 3 - 132 reps - 35.2 kg/hand/min
Wk4 - 125 reps - 40 kg//hand/min

I also did an extreme calorie restricted diet for weeks 3 and 4 so probably could have done better still. Despite that I feel stronger and my weight has gone from 83.8kg to 79.2kg.

I was wondering whether to try 1.0 with the 2 x 24’s or maybe 3.0 again with the 28’s and push presses. I’m not sure about the sets of 6 on 1.0’s heavy day though. I guess I’ll see how I’m going tomorrow and if ok try and test my rep max and decide from there. I’m really loving this program.

Cheers

Ben

Yep, definitely something in the water. I had my last day of Giant 3.0 yesterday and then did some thoracic stretching and may have popped a rib. I was wondering what to do next but I’ll have to see how I feel tomorrow.

I did 3.0 with 2 x 24kg using the 20/25/30/25 min weekly work timings and got these results:

Wk 1 - 99 reps - 32.27 kg/hand/min
Wk 2 - 112 reps - 35.84 kg/hand/min
Wk 3 - 132 reps - 35.2 kg/hand/min
Wk4 - 125 reps - 40 kg//hand/min

I also did an extreme calorie restricted diet for weeks 3 and 4 so probably could have done better still. Despite that I feel stronger and my weight has gone from 83.8kg to 79.2kg.

I was wondering whether to try 1.0 with the 2 x 24’s or maybe 3.0 again with the 28’s and push presses. I’m not sure about the sets of 6 on 1.0’s heavy day though. I guess I’ll see how I’m going tomorrow and if ok try and test my rep max and decide from there. I’m really loving this program.

Cheers

Ben
Could you just do 3.0 again and aim to do more reps? Im doing my first run at 3.0 and plan on re doing it. I might do a week of swings and getups as a break, and then re do with the same weights.

Back
Top Bottom