all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I'd say double KB work is a game changer for swings, too, actually.

Do you mean if you load it up heavy enough it is somewhere between a deadlift and ballistic swing in terms of power/intensity for the rear kinetic chain. Or a substitute if you don't have access to barbell equipment for heavy hinge work.

Do you mean if you load it up heavy enough it is somewhere between a deadlift and ballistic swing in terms of power/intensity for the rear kinetic chain. Or a substitute if you don't have access to barbell equipment for heavy hinge work.

I don't really understand your question.

Also, I own a barbell, so if I want to go max heavy, I just use a barbell, including for ballistics (snatch, clean).

I don't really understand your question.

Also, I own a barbell, so if I want to go max heavy, I just use a barbell, including for ballistics (snatch, clean).

Yeah, going heavy means barbell use, so I am trying to figure out how double KB would be a game changer than a single 40-48 KB bell vs barbell work ballistic (power cleans) or heavy deadlift. Barbell complexes as well if the weight is heavy but not too heavy. Work capacity I guess? Hypertrophy?

Yeah, going heavy means barbell use, so I am trying to figure out how double KB would be a game changer than a single 40-48 KB bell vs barbell work ballistic (power cleans) or heavy deadlift. Barbell complexes as well if the weight is heavy but not too heavy. Work capacity I guess? Hypertrophy?

Because I can do 2 x 32 (64 kg) , 2 plates equivalent, for reps and volume.

10 x 10 sets of power cleans @ 60 kg is going to lead to a lot of really garbage cleans.

And, aside from my general principle that doing PCs for volume is just kind of dumb, in my specific case it also leads to technique pollution.

So double KB swings lets me hit a power endurance curve that uses weights much closer to that of a barbell, without technique fatigue issues.

And I can also work in anti-rotation if I use unequal bell sizes, which I can't do with a barbell at all.

Last edited:
Because I can do 2 x 32 (64 kg) , 2 plates equivalent, for reps and volume.

10 x 10 sets of power cleans @ 60 kg is going to lead to a lot of really garbage cleans.

And, aside from my general principle that doing PCs for volume is just kind of dumb, in my specific case it also leads to technique pollution.

So double KB swings lets me hit a power endurance curve that uses weights much closer to that of a barbell, with without technique fatigue issues.

And I can also work in anti-rotation if I use unequal bell sizes, which I can't do with a barbell at all.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now given your numbers and that you would not want any type of technical barbell lift to deteriorate in form with volume.

Well you CAN I just wouldn't recommend it... :p

acfd7f8fd5051ae21630701fffcd3b72.png

The real embarrassment, though, is that he has green inside of yellow....

@Coyotl. I know what you mean... just wait until you get to 7s!!!

John and others, I just started the Giant with a RM test (perfect ten) and practice session with 5 rep sets, and then a 5 rep day as written. I was wondering about recovery for the six rep day. Would it be better to schedule the 6 rep day on a Friday with the weekend to recover or as some have said, the higher reps reduce the volume so recovery is not that different although the actual workout is challenging. That would make Monday the 4 rep day and Wednesday the midrep, midweek day. I can't remember if it was Geoff that said that we tend to be stronger midweek though. It seems like a minor difference but I can tell already that six is going to be really hard and four easy. The giant 1.0 is challenging but doable for me I feel as a middle aged intermediate lifter as it has autoregulation so I can complete the program as written even if my rep ranges are not as high as some.

Due to working shift work I am going to train as & when convenient even if that means 3 days back to back

John and others, I just started the Giant with a RM test (perfect ten) and practice session with 5 rep sets, and then a 5 rep day as written. I was wondering about recovery for the six rep day. Would it be better to schedule the 6 rep day on a Friday with the weekend to recover or as some have said, the higher reps reduce the volume so recovery is not that different although the actual workout is challenging. That would make Monday the 4 rep day and Wednesday the midrep, midweek day. I can't remember if it was Geoff that said that we tend to be stronger midweek though. It seems like a minor difference but I can tell already that six is going to be really hard and four easy. The giant 1.0 is challenging but doable for me I feel as a middle aged intermediate lifter as it has autoregulation so I can complete the program as written even if my rep ranges are not as high as some.
@guardian7 , it's my understanding that the heavy volume day is Wednesday because of a study done a while back by the Soviets that showed that a trainee is at his strongest in the middle of the week.

Although it may make no difference at all, I would just do it as written.

I had another look at my PDF & it doesn't specify week days or number of rest days as far as I can see.
Just says three days a week & the order to do the workout in regards to reps per set.

I bought the standalone programme

@guardian7 ,

I would just do the program as written and try not to overthink it.

The Soviets found that their athletes could handle the heaviest workload mid-week - Wed/Thurs, so that's why I put the 6s there.

Will it be hard?

Probably.

Will Friday/Day 3 be easy(-er)?

Yes. It's supposed to be.

Plus, I've found, as I've gotten older, I don't really want hard workouts at the end of the week going into the weekend. I want to spend that time with my family, not "recovering."

Hope that helps.

I had another look at my PDF & it doesn't specify week days or number of rest days as far as I can see.
Just says three days a week & the order to do the workout in regards to reps per set.

I bought the standalone programme
3 Non-consecutive days a week are optimal/best.

So, M-W-F, M-W-Sa, Tu-Th-Sa, Tu-Th-Su.

For those with busy work schedules, F-Su-W is also an option.

3 Non-consecutive days a week are optimal/best.

So, M-W-F, M-W-Sa, Tu-Th-Sa, Tu-Th-Su.

For those with busy work schedules, F-Su-W is also an option.
I am definitely going to try for something like this.

I try to avoid back to back training days.
But I do 12 shift's & sometimes I just feel extra sleep is more optimal & I will cram my training on my days off instead.

Thanks for the advice.

@guardian7 ,

I would just do the program as written and try not to overthink it.

The Soviets found that their athletes could handle the heaviest workload mid-week - Wed/Thurs, so that's why I put the 6s there.

Will it be hard?

Probably.

Will Friday/Day 3 be easy(-er)?

Yes. It's supposed to be.

Plus, I've found, as I've gotten older, I don't really want hard workouts at the end of the week going into the weekend. I want to spend that time with my family, not "recovering."

Hope that helps.
Geoff, thanks for the clarification and confirming the midweek heavy day reference.

Back
Top Bottom