all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I don't know. 10-12x... Maybe Little more.
I done Dry Fighting Weight with 2x24.

2x24 is not for The Giant for me. It is to heavy for 5-6reps for sets.
For 5x5 will be ok, but not more.

I don't know. 10-12x... Maybe Little more.
I done Dry Fighting Weight with 2x24.

2x24 is not for The Giant for me. It is to heavy for 5-6reps for sets.
For 5x5 will be ok, but not more.

I wonder if a 20 and a 24 would work best. You are putting up a nice number but you just started the program. The 6 rep day is supposed to be hard but manageable if you take longer rest periods at lower volume I think.

Based on my own experience and what other people are doing (unless I've misread) I don't think 75 reps in 30mins is too out of whack... works out at about 30 seconds work and 90 seconds rest between sets. If the weight was really too light I don't expect he would be taking those sorts of rests.

I have a lot of improving to do on my press so perhaps it's not a great data point, but this morning (wk 2 of 1.0) I did 13 sets of 5 with 2x16kg in 20 mins. That's about 30 secs work, 60 secs rest but I don't think I could keep that average up for another 10 mins. 2x16kg was similarly about a 10-11 perfect TRM for me before starting. Average HR was 135bpm with most peaks in the mid-150s.

Anyway, even if I did think I'd gone too light I'd still finish the 4 weeks before changing weights. Worst thing would be you reach your peak a month later, but with the benefit of a wider base to your pyramid.

I wonder if a 20 and a 24 would work best. You are putting up a nice number but you just started the program. The 6 rep day is supposed to be hard but manageable if you take longer rest periods at lower volume I think.
Keep in mind one of the great things about density training is even a lighter weight can be a potent stimulus; the volume and density knobs just get turned up. This is also why you can repeat cycles of the Giant with the same weights, even if the weight is now more like a 12-15RM and not a 10RM.

For me 2x24 is too heavy for this volume.
20+24... Who know!?

2x20 is good.
@taro I think the 20s will certainly deliver for you. 15 rounds on day 1, week 1 certainly means you've chosen a combo of bells you're comfortable in handling but I say run them! You can always run the 1.0 with the 24s after you do the 20s. Training is a lifestyle and life-long process.

Looking back I had toyed with the idea of starting my "Giant" journey with 36s but I'm really glad I didn't. I kept on increasing my volume and density with 32s and the effort worked nicely. Keep in mind that doing higher rep clean and presses was something I really never did. You may find it quite a "hit" when you try it as you progress through the process. Had I started with the 36s, I'm not so sure it would have worked well. Once you start hitting 7's and 8's you'll really feel it!

I'm in week 3 with the 36s and it's a challenge. I'm making progress but it's not as easy with these SOB's as the volume has not increased each week as dramatically as it did with the 32's. However I have been patient with them and added a bit each week and they are now starting to feel more comfortable/manageable. Had I started with them in the early fall, I am fairly certain I would have derailed!

Just my opinion, stick with the 20s for now and then come back and rock the 24s!

Keep in mind one of the great things about density training is even a lighter weight can be a potent stimulus; the volume and density knobs just get turned up. This is also why you can repeat cycles of the Giant with the same weights, even if the weight is now more like a 12-15RM and not a 10RM.

I see your point but he put up 75 reps in the first week on the program!

So 75 repetitions is a lot?
Maybe I chose too little weight?
Maybe.
2x24 is definitely too much for The Giant 1.0.

Maybe I should choose The Giant 1.1, 1.2. with 2x20..

The 15x5 wasn't particularly hard, but I felt it.

I stay: G1-2x20.

So 75 repetitions is a lot?
Maybe I chose too little weight?
Maybe.
2x24 is definitely too much for The Giant 1.0.

Maybe I should choose The Giant 1.1, 1.2. with 2x20..

The 15x5 wasn't particularly hard, but I felt it.

I stay: G1-2x20.
Well, you could run the 3.0 with 24s until it becomes a comfortable 10RM. I would stick with the 20s for the 1.0 and then reevaluate afterwards.

Just a thought.

I recently finished Dry Fighting Weight with 2x24 ..
Now I want something with more repetitions.

C&P 2x24 = 8RM
C&P 2x20 = 10-12RM, maybe a little more.

I'm also tired after the 2x24 DFW.

I will stay with 20kgs kettlebells. Possibly I will switch to another The Giant. 1.1, 1.2...

C&P 2x24 = 8RM

I will stay with 20kgs kettlebells. Possibly I will switch to another The Giant. 1.1, 1.2...

Good idea to alternate weight and volume goals throughout the year. I recommend getting your RM with the 2x20s though to help you choose which program suits your goals and to get the satisfaction of your before and after results.

This week was the ramp up week (week 3) of 1.0 with the 36s. Next week is my 20 percent reduction week. (Training this week is Sunday/Tuesday/Friday because of family stuff)

Yesterday's heavy day was tough but doable. The last five or six minutes was really rough as the reduced rests caught up to me big time. With the last 2 sets the final rep was a little tough to keep the form, but I got them done!

My wife pointed to my traps when I was done and said they were noticeably bigger. I said nothing as I was pooped!

Admittedly the bells are heavy but as I'm going through with them, they are becoming more manageable. I guess that's what's supposed to happen!

C&P 2x24 = 8RM

I'm in the third week of Giant 1.0 with double 20kgs. I was also hitting reps in the 70s the first week, then 80s second week, and now in the 90s. I also considered starting with the 24kgs, but am glad I didn't. Although I've strength trained from time to time over the last 30 years, the press was never one of my "go to" lifts. So, I wanted to use the 20kgs to really dial in the technique and Geoff's 5 cues from STRONG!.

I'll probably stick with the 20kgs and do Giant 2.0 next. Then start over with the 24kgs.

Back
Top Bottom