all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Darn you to heck, @Geoff Neupert and @John Grahill !! You led me down this path and I paid the price on Easter Sunday. Getting ready for Church, I put on my very nice pale yellow dress shirt that I last wore a couple springs ago. It was unbuttoned a couple buttons down from the collar, as I usually slip dress shirts on over my head. My shirt got stuck on my back and I had to forcefully slide it down only to discover that the shirt was straining and the buttons were very likely to pop off, not unlike a "folk dancin' lady's" too tight outfit!! Where in the heck did this back come from ? ? ? ?

2.0 with double 24's, then double 28's; 1.0 with double 28's, then double 32's are the culprit!! The mirror was not lying to me!!

Starting 1.1 with double 32's here in ~30 minutes......

This program WORKS!!!!!!

Darn you to heck, @Geoff Neupert and @John Grahill !! You led me down this path and I paid the price on Easter Sunday. Getting ready for Church, I put on my very nice pale yellow dress shirt that I last wore a couple springs ago. It was unbuttoned a couple buttons down from the collar, as I usually slip dress shirts on over my head. My shirt got stuck on my back and I had to forcefully slide it down only to discover that the shirt was straining and the buttons were very likely to pop off, not unlike a "folk dancin' lady's" too tight outfit!! Where in the heck did this back come from ? ? ? ?

2.0 with double 24's, then double 28's; 1.0 with double 28's, then double 32's are the culprit!! The mirror was not lying to me!!

This program WORKS!!!!!!
Hey... you "eat" big, you get big.

I'm curious to when the magic happens with the Giant. I can imagine 2x16K will do little systemic loading to someone who deadlifts heavy already. Is it 2x24K, perhaps, or higher up? When did you first notice the unfortunate sideways growth?

I thought I’d share a little twist to the autoregulation principle that I am using. Please take it with a HUGE grain of salt. I am not a trainer, nor even all that strong or well-experienced.

Ever since I have begun using SF trining principles I have had a problem with over-training, i.e. progressing too quickly. Many years ago someone observed that my motto must be, “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth over-doing”. Unfortunately, that observation is all too correct.

To control that tendency, I am wearing a heart rate moniter while doing my Giant sessions. I know, using heart rate with strength training is of questionable value. Never the less, I wait to start my next set until my HR drops below a pre-determined value (about 63% of max in my case to make it a round number).

This seems to be helping me to avoid the temptation to rush sets to “chase a number”. In addition, it gives me a baseline to compare my performance from one session to the next.

YMMV, but I offer this to perhaps help the other OCD people in the group.

Jim

Last edited:
To control that tendency, I am wearing a heart rate moniter while doing my Giant sessions. I know, using heart rate with strength training is of questionable value. Never the less, I wait to start my next set until my HR drops below a pre-determined value (about 63% of max in my case to make it a round number).
if it works for @Harald Motz it should not be that bad :)
And if it works for you, even better :)

This program WORKS!!!!!!
Well, uhm, I'm sorry! I have has the same issue....the yoke and arms got thicker which has had a "dress shirt impact" on me too!

And ya know what else?? I've taken up folk dancin!

I thought I’d share a little twist to the autoregulation principle that I am using. Please take it with a HUGE grain of salt. I am not a trainer, nor even all that strong or well-experienced.

Ever since I have begun using SF trining principles I have had a problem with over-training, i.e. progressing too quickly. Many years ago someone observed that my motto must be, “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth over-doing”. Unfortunately, that observation is all too correct.

This seems to be helping me to avoid the temptation to rush sets to “chase a number). In addition, it gives me a baseline to compare my performance from one session to the next.

Jim
Jim, that's a great strategy! Today however I invited the heavily glycotic session after all the sugar yesterday! Back "on board" today.

I like your cautious progression for an advanced rehab cycle. Wouldn't a repeated full cycle of 1.0 be a more reasonable next step... maybe with C+P this time around, if manageable?

I'm also rehabbing a shoulder, so I'm interested in your choices/experiences moving forward.
@barrak,

Perfectly reasonable suggestion. I do like the programming flexibility provided by the progression options (PP/MP).

However, I'm happy with the ballistic options in the short term. Partially because I can load the clean more, and partially because I had a couple rough runs through ROP a few years back resulting in tweaks and time off (almost certainly due to crap technique). I spent about a year focusing on PP/C&J, never had any negative response, and seemed to gain sufficient strength for my purposes.

I'm a mountain biker and trail runner first and foremost. So my main goal is to be strong and conditioned enough to get after it most any day. Like, multi-hour snow ski, mountain bike, trail run, hike, etc.? I'm in! Need help moving furniture, digging holes, chopping wood, hauling bags of concrete, etc.? Got you covered! So, more GPP than max strength I suppose.

Oh, I did goblet squats, glute bridges/wheel pose, light (8 - 16kg) get ups, arm bars and bent arm bars as warmup for Giant 1.0. Hope some of this helps!

-Oaks

I am wearing a heart rate moniter while doing my Giant sessions. I know, using heart rate with strength training is of questionable value. Never the less, I wait to start my next set until my HR drops below a pre-determined value (about 63% of max in my case to make it a round number).

This seems to be helping me to avoid the temptation to rush sets to “chase a number). In addition, it gives me a baseline to compare my performance from one session to the next.

Jim
Jim, I forgot my heart rate monitor at home this morning. Otherwise, I always wear it. Like you, I let it drop to a predetermined number, but I do increase that number later into the session. Yes, it gives me a baseline, but it also ensures that I'm truly ready for the next set. Sometimes, I'll start a set before the heart rate is completely down just to compare the feel and see where that set's HR tops out.

Hey... you "eat" big, you get big.

I'm curious to when the magic happens with the Giant. I can imagine 2x16K will do little systemic loading to someone who deadlifts heavy already. Is it 2x24K, perhaps, or higher up? When did you first notice the unfortunate sideways growth?
I really noticed it after rerunning 2.0 with double 28's. I'd run it with 24's, Geoff and John encouraged me to bump up the weight. I'll find my training log and see how many reps I did with 24's and then 28's.

@barrak,

Perfectly reasonable suggestion. I do like the programming flexibility provided by the progression options (PP/MP).

However, I'm happy with the ballistic options in the short term. Partially because I can load the clean more, and partially because I had a couple rough runs through ROP a few years back resulting in tweaks and time off (almost certainly due to crap technique). I spent about a year focusing on PP/C&J, never had any negative response, and seemed to gain sufficient strength for my purposes.

I'm a mountain biker and trail runner first and foremost. So my main goal is to be strong and conditioned enough to get after it most any day. Like, multi-hour snow ski, mountain bike, trail run, hike, etc.? I'm in! Need help moving furniture, digging holes, chopping wood, hauling bags of concrete, etc.? Got you covered! So, more GPP than max strength I suppose.

Oh, I did goblet squats, glute bridges/wheel pose, light (8 - 16kg) get ups, arm bars and bent arm bars as warmup for Giant 1.0. Hope some of this helps!

-Oaks
We're having a somewhat similar shoulders history. I'm currently working them gently through ETK+ till end of May. I love LCCJ, so I might do Giant 1.0 using them in June, as you did. It's the Viking Push Press that I have to practice with care. My latest injury happened when I lost focus one time and tried to initiate the arm press too soon. Set me back several months!

LCCJ is a lot safer and more fluid for me, and offers more systemic loading to someone who's clean strong and temporarily press deficient, I think.

Hi Stefan, yes in the Strong videos for the tension techniques and in an email where Geoff explained the breathing approach through the C&P cycle but they may also be in the Strong videos as well.

Any idea what month (ballpark) that email came out? Going to search through them, would like to read this again. Should have starred it.

LCCJ is a lot safer and more fluid for me, and offers more systemic loading to someone who's clean strong and temporarily press deficient, I think.
Well said. This ^ sums it up for me. I can load the clean more, which serves me better in my "sports" of choice, still get strong enough up top for those sports and everyday life, and I can stay in the game day in and day out (and thus progress more). I'll probably work TGUs back in once the shoulder recovers, like occasional blocks of S&S to mix it up. Right now, the shoulder hurts when I support my weight with the injured arm through the windmill/leg sweep. I'd worked up to comfortable doubles with the 32kg, and uncomfortable singles with the 40kg, pre-injury and they made me feel strong and knit together head to toe. Great for throwing the bike around IMHO.

Sure, I would love to own a bodyweight strict press. But it's not at all necessary for me, and I'd probably destroy myself chasing it if I set my mind to it. I'm goal-focused, stubborn, competitive and just a dumb basher in general. Mrs. Oaks can confirm (and would probably add to that list).

Edit: Mrs. Oaks added "professional teenager" to the list. Seeing as I'm 45 years old, I don't think she meant it as a compliment...

Last edited:
Edit: Mrs. Oaks added "professional teenager" to the list. Seeing as I'm 45 years old, I don't think she meant it as a compliment...
They have a way of sizing us and summing things up, don't they!

As for TGUs, I got around them with sandbag getups. Luckily, my shoulders did not impede loading sandbag getups, except for a couple of weeks immediately after my injury. A ballistic clean before each "get-down" then up maintained my hip hinge through my shoulder rehab journey. The way they work avoids loading both wrist and shoulder on the non-load bearing side, mostly. I even added a carry after every reverse getup, following a very useful suggestion by a fellow contributor on this forum.

Hi Guys,

Week 2 of G1.1 done??
Results:
Week 1 - 54 56 56;
Week 2 - 60 64 63;

Long series are baaaaad. I started feeling tired. Every rep over 4,5 is heavy. Hope 2 days off will help me to recover for week 3 which is going to be hard!
Thinking that G1.2 is even longer is depressing ?

Long series are baaaaad. I started feeling tired. Every rep over 4,5 is heavy. Hope 2 days off will help me to recover for week 3 which is going to be hard!
I feel your pain! I'm currently in week 2 of 1.2. I felt the same during 1.1 and thought at the time that the idea of progressing to 1.2 was a ridiculous idea. Then I did it.

You are right, there is something very different that happens when the reps go over 4-5.

You guys are right for sure. The higher rep sets zap you and just adding 1 rep from say 6 to 7 is a lot tougher than it sounds! I'm actually procrastinating my week 3 day 2 (heavy rep day) this morning. Sometimes I feel sluggish and end up getting a great training day and I'm hoping that's the case today.

Back
Top Bottom