all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

John Grahill, or anyone else, have you ever done KB Strong? If so, can you compare it to Giant? I'm trying to decided which program I will run next.

John Grahill, have you ever done KB Strong? If so, can you compare it to Giant? I'm trying to decided which program I will run next.
Yup. More than once. That too is an awesome program! The Strong versus Giant thing....here's the difference. The Strong program calls for a 4 to 5 RM and is strictly a double bell program. The majority of the Giant protocols are a 10 RM. There is one in the Giant that calls for a 5 RM. All Giant Programs are for 1 or 2 kettlebells.
Both programs are excellent. As to which one I'd do I would personally look at it like this....if I had a set of bells that were a "tough" 4 reps I'd do the Strong program's phase 1 and reevaluate afterward. If they are a "comfortable" 5 I would do either Strong phase 1 or The Giant 3.0. Obviously if they are a 10RM, I'd do the Giant 2.0 or 1 series.
Sorry for any confusion, I'm not an instructor and I'm not sure if I worded this response properly. I don't think you can go wrong with starting with the Strong program and then deciding where and how to proceed when you finish it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Great job Mate!
That is very strong!

Just a little reminder. You do not have to wait till g1.2. Your next session is 8's?. Make sure you recover on time??
Thanks!!

Yikes!! I just thumbed through 1.1 at my desk. I was supposed to have done 8's yesterday and 7's next!! :oops: Guess a little training dyslexia ain't gonna kill me...

I finished my last set of 1.0 with 11 reps and honestly felt like I'd left at least one in the tank. I love this program.

That's awesome! Thank you for this post! I have had a tough week personally and I'm in need of some motivation for my training today which you just provided! Yes, I too have felt soreness in my legs/calves from doing the c+p. It really does a great job of trashing the whole body! Throw in a higher rep range and you'll find it crushes you inside and out.
Looks like the Giant certainly has delivered for you too and it's more proof positive of the program's effectiveness. In my case I have been stressed quite often with elder care of a 91 year old throughout my runs through it and you've gone through a move! For a program to deliver during times like these says something in my book! Geoff's programming has always worked for me done as written and this is one is no exception!
I'm amazed that you can consistently put up your numbers whilst caring for an elder. The heavier, higher rep programs call for complete concentration and attention to the moment; the ability to meet the program's demands while meeting your elder's demands are supremely impressive. This is such a mental game when you get up in the higher reps...

I'm amazed that you can consistently put up your numbers whilst caring for an elder. The heavier, higher rep programs call for complete concentration and attention to the moment; the ability to meet the program's demands while meeting your elder's demands are supremely impressive. This is such a mental game when you get up in the higher reps...
Ok...you're a married man who moved. That's tough! All your collectibles must go! Downsize! In order to make room for her "necessities".....you had it just as bad!

I think most of us, myself included, have been going for 30 minute sessions. I'm considering backing off to 20 minutes for a while. Has anyone else been seeing progress on 20 minute sessions?

I think most of us, myself included, have been going for 30 minute sessions. I'm considering backing off to 20 minutes for a while. Has anyone else been seeing progress on 20 minute sessions?
Erik, my week 4 workouts have been 20 minutes as a deload. My fear is that for me knowing what a dope I can be that I wouldn't take advantage of autoregulation....Basically I would try to go all out each workout and end up injured if my workouts were kept to 20 minutes. With the 30 minute workouts I don't rush to cram as much and the added 10 minutes gives me a bit more volume. Again, that's just me.

Erik, my week 4 workouts have been 20 minutes as a deload. My fear is that for me knowing what a dope I can be that I wouldn't take advantage of autoregulation....Basically I would try to go all out each workout and end up injured if my workouts were kept to 20 minutes. With the 30 minute workouts I don't rush to cram as much and the added 10 minutes gives me a bit more volume. Again, that's just me.
Interesting point. I do have to consciously hold back to give myself enough rest between sets, especially now that I'm doing 1.2. It's weird how 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes changes the feeling of the session; I think I do the same thing you mentioned. When I started this morning with the idea of maybe stopping at 20 minutes, I pushed the pace more than I would have if I set out with the 30-minute decision already made.

The big difference I was pondering was whether I could still make progress without the volume added by minutes 21 through 30. I assume that the progress would be slower, but how much slower? Sounds lazy, but I'm curious about balancing effectiveness with recovery.

Interesting point. I do have to consciously hold back to give myself enough rest between sets, especially now that I'm doing 1.2. It's weird how 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes changes the feeling of the session; I think I do the same thing you mentioned. When I started this morning with the idea of maybe stopping at 20 minutes, I pushed the pace more than I would have if I set out with the 30-minute decision already made.

The big difference I was pondering was whether I could still make progress without the volume added by minutes 21 through 30. I assume that the progress would be slower, but how much slower? Sounds lazy, but I'm curious about balancing effectiveness with recovery.
Well, I'm not sure progress would be slower but I think in my case I'd end up needing more recovery with the 20 minute sessions for the reason I previously stated. Being it's "only" 20 minutes I'd end up redlining too much to make progress and I'd derail myself. I had that problem when I attempted the 50/20 program way back. With the extra 10 minutes I can autoregulate better.

Honestly, I only made it to the 30 minute mark on the one occasion over the four week G1.0 which I just find images tonight. Usually, my form was going to break down (the rate of press slowed down too much on the last 1-2 reps) or my rest periods just expanded in order to make the next set and I knew I wouldn’t make it in time. Haven’t tested, but I enjoyed the program so far and numbers went up. On to G1.1!

Well, I'm not sure progress would be slower but I think in my case I'd end up needing more recovery with the 20 minute sessions for the reason I previously stated. Being it's "only" 20 minutes I'd end up redlining too much to make progress and I'd derail myself. I had that problem when I attempted the 50/20 program way back. With the extra 10 minutes I can autoregulate better.
I also did 50/20 with push presses & found I needed more recovery than the giant because of the issues you mentioned.

That 50 goal is really bad for autoregulation in my case.

It is my observation that any quantitative goal (“chasing the numbers”) is bad in many ways. We are often so fearful of not doing enough that we end up doing too much. I’m an expert at that.
This is why I prefer the 30 minute sessions. I don't feel like I have to push beyond my common sense limits. It gives me the best of both worlds in that I still can get density improvements/progressions and volume sensibly. I respect the heck out of crossfit training but my biggest concern is the all out, get that extra rep mentality breaks down form. We know what happens after that! This same issue can occur with density training protocols for obvious reasons. Again, I refer to @Don Fairbanks and his statement that density training is fine but the reps have to be passable in form. I call it common sense density training. Mileage may vary.

G1.1 completed. 47, 5'6", 178. I gained a couple of pounds since starting. 3.0, 1.0 and now 1.1. (all with 2x20kg)I have been eating like a college athlete, but I still fit my clothes and I can actually see some definition in my shoulders for the first time in my life.
Wk 1: 11, 8 and 10
WK2: 15, 8, 10
WK3: 15, 8, 11
WK4: (20 min) 9, 8, 10(30 min)
I am pleased with the numbers. Here's what I notice most; I wear a monitor, and I have seen my heart rate return to my start point quicker. I usually start my set once I return to around 120 or less bpm. My resting heart rate is now 50 or lower.
On to 1.2. And then the whole thing again with 2x24.
Thanks @Geoff Neupert and @JohnGrahill. I love this program and the encouragement that's provided in these posts.

I’m starting 1.0 next week. Tested 2x20kg today, 10 solid reps, might’ve squeaked out 11.

I did Strong (Phase 1) 2 years ago with 2x24, but I’m now ~35lbs lighter. I did HIRT for Hypertrophy in Feb into March (2x24 for the doubles, 2x16 for the 5s and 8s), which kept my RM at 5-6 (at -30lbs bodyweight from old PR of 8-9). Then since March I have been doing C&J for 5s with 2x20.

Back
Top Bottom