all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

See bolded text. Where can I read about them?

Geoff was selling Giant and KB Strong as a package deal. I recommend it even if you are like me not quite ready to taken on the Strong program. There is a great deal of detail on form, which helped me to tweak my clean and get better results. For example, just dropping the bells on the negative and releasing tension there. I put a recent email on breathing for his subscribers. Join his free newsletter.

It is my observation that any quantitative goal (“chasing the numbers”) is bad in many ways. We are often so fearful of not doing enough that we end up doing too much. I’m an expert at that.

An alternative to counting numbers.

Some have mentioned the issue of chasing numbers. The alternative would be to take a proper RM test before and then one at the end of the program. That is the only number that matters. We feel different day by day but we know that the program works as written. I had a bad workout on a very stressful workday. The data is there including mine. Therefore, focus 100 percent on form and recovery and just let the magic happen and test your results at the end of the program. The alternative would be to track only the HEAVY day and think of the other days as form practice reps. Pick something to work on like breathing or the negative drop.

I think not taking a proper RM before and after the program is a mistake though.

An alternative to counting numbers.

Some have mentioned the issue of chasing numbers. The alternative would be to take a proper RM test before and then one at the end of the program. That is the only number that matters. We feel different day by day but we know that the program works as written. I had a bad workout on a very stressful workday. The data is there including mine. Therefore, focus 100 percent on form and recovery and just let the magic happen and test your results at the end of the program. The alternative would be to track only the HEAVY day and think of the other days as form practice reps. Pick something to work on like breathing or the negative drop.

I think not taking a proper RM before and after the program is a mistake though.
This will be my approach; RM test before and after each phase, and a general “up and to the right” trend in volume/tonnage over the weeks (particularly the heavy day).

Geoff was selling Giant and KB Strong as a package deal. I recommend it even if you are like me not quite ready to taken on the Strong program. There is a great deal of detail on form, which helped me to tweak my clean and get better results. For example, just dropping the bells on the negative and releasing tension there. I put a recent email on breathing for his subscribers. Join his free newsletter.

I own Giant. Have not done ut yet. Currently doing Geoff's Upper Body Blast. I have Two 24s waiting for me to use with Strong!, just need a bit more strenght.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing, but since I haven't run it as is yet, I'll do that first.
Add a front squat and it's not The Giant anymore and I'd not realistically expect the progress being reported with people running The Giant. After my first day of double 32kg for 7 reps, my quads felt just like they have after a serious squat session.

If you do add a front squat, expect to see your Clean & Press numbers plummet or, if you're just starting the program, never move much.

Just me, but if @Geoff Neupert believed the front squat would add value he'd have put it in the program.

I am very tempted to tweak this program by adding a front squat. Clean, squat, press, in the same template.
Just my recommendation as someone who's completed 28 weeks of the Giant protocols, I would run it as written. There's plenty of work to be done with the "as is" Giant. Adding an additional movement to the combo move makes it a totally different program.

This will be my approach; RM test before and after each phase, and a general “up and to the right” trend in volume/tonnage over the weeks (particularly the
I did a rep test before and after each 4 week phase this time through the 1.0, 2.0 and 1.1 and I fully concur with you both! Frankly here's why.....each phase has increasing rep ranges and I wanted to show myself (and also check) that the target reps for each day were below my "all out max" and that I had gained the strength endurance needed during the previous 4 weeks. It worked. I started with an 8 or 9 RM and after two months it became 12. I was able to "convince" myself that 7's and 8's are well below my max. Made it "slightly" less intimidating!

I did a rep test before and after each 4 week phase this time through the 1.0, 2.0 and 1.1 and I fully concur with you both! Frankly here's why.....each phase has increasing rep ranges and I wanted to show myself (and also check) that the target reps for each day were below my "all out max" and that I had gained the strength endurance needed during the previous 4 weeks. It worked. I started with an 8 or 9 RM and after two months it became 12. I was able to "convince" myself that 7's and 8's are well below my max. Made it "slightly" less intimidating!

I was just thinking today during my workout how amazing that 6 seems like a light day and 6 weeks ago it was a heavy day.

Add a front squat and it's not The Giant anymore and I'd not realistically expect the progress being reported with people running The Giant. After my first day of double 32kg for 7 reps, my quads felt just like they have after a serious squat session.

If you do add a front squat, expect to see your Clean & Press numbers plummet or, if you're just starting the program, never move much.

Just me, but if @Geoff Neupert believed the front squat would add value he'd have put it in the program.
Adding the front squat will convert the program into one of Geoff/Pavel's older ones; “Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst

Nothing terribly wrong with that as long as that program's plan is followed and its intended objectives are kept in mind. It is based on 5RM, mixes low-rep sets/ladders, and allows for one or two bells.

Adding the front squat will convert the program into one of Geoff/Pavel's older ones; “Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst

Nothing terribly wrong with that as long as that program's plan is followed and its intended objectives are kept in mind. It is based on 5RM, mixes low-rep sets/ladders, and allows for one or two bells.
Agree with your assessment but I actually thought the way the post was worded he meant adding a squat into the combo, i.e. clean +squat +press which reminded me of the Olympic program. Again makes it an entirely different program.

It's probably also worth mentioning that, at least for me, my squat stance requires adjusting my feet after my clean. So, adding a squat between my clean and press would go from "clean and press" to "clean, shuffle feet, squat, press, shuffle feet". I'm sure that has merit, but I like the focus in this program.

Back
Top Bottom