all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I definitely wouldn't superset chins or pulls or anything else. It would really change the program but that's just me.

I was running GTG chinups when i first started Giant. I was at a max of 19 bodyweight chins. I had to drop doing GTG as it was making me quite sore. I now just do the occasional set here and there or during my warm up. Very low reps. I randomly did a set of 15 yesterday and felt quite good so I assume I'm not losing much if anything from my max.
This is especially true using the Strongfirst active negative...

Any recommendations on how to superset or add in pull-ups with this? Off days? Any set/rep scheme? I was doing ROP before this but after a few days doing the Giant I kinda dig it and will probably run 1.0 for the 4 weeks or whatever it is just to see how it shakes out. I really like the pull-ups though so any ideas on how to incorporate are welcome.
I think it says somewhere in the program that doing "other stuff" is fine, but don't get carried away (like 3-sets of nowhere near your rep-max). I'm battling elbow tendonitis myself, so I don't do ANYTHING else (other than life, of course) that puts pressure on my elbows, but if I didn't have that issue, I'd maybe do some pull-ups (getting nowhere near my rep-max) after the main session, either on off days, or after a good 5-10 minute rest.

I suspect that if you tried to superset, you'd be pretty well on the side of.....no longer really "doing The Giant" (i.e., you risk giving offense if you then tell folks "I did The Giant, and it didn't work for me.").

@BrianCF, You are a bit unlucky caught between light and heavy bells. What I strongly recommend is using one 45 and one 55. It is fairly common and even recommended as an option to have uneven bells. I am finishing 1.2 with uneven bells. Switching bells after each set is a kind of micro wave that is welcome and motivating as you get to come back to your stronger arm (or strong and stronger as Pavel says) the next set.

An easy way to tell would be to test your RM with the pair of 45s. Especially, if it is over 12 then you can more clearly see your choices defined. I would let your RM dictate your approach as written in the program.

At 90 in the first week, I doubt that is going to produce the metabolic demand that is key to the program. It should be hard to stimulate adaptation. In contrast, the 8 RM would really be challenging especially in Giant 1.1. Of course, both would work. I am just saying that to get the most out of the program uneven bells would likely be the way to go.

Give the uneven bells a try and tell us how it goes.
Thank you for the advice. I have never done uneven bells in my 12 years of kettlebelling.

Thinking about doing this before I received your great idea. Run the 6's. with 45's. Run the 4's with 55's and evaluate. At week 2, I'll have a better understanding of : Uneven bells, or use 55's. My guess is I'll probably go with your advice.

I think it says somewhere in the program that doing "other stuff" is fine, but don't get carried away (like 3-sets of nowhere near your rep-max). I'm battling elbow tendonitis myself, so I don't do ANYTHING else (other than life, of course) that puts pressure on my elbows, but if I didn't have that issue, I'd maybe do some pull-ups (getting nowhere near my rep-max) after the main session, either on off days, or after a good 5-10 minute rest.

I suspect that if you tried to superset, you'd be pretty well on the side of.....no longer really "doing The Giant" (i.e., you risk giving offense if you then tell folks "I did The Giant, and it didn't work for me.").
Yeah. I guess it would be interfering with hitting as many rounds as I can in the time frame.

Four weeks later, 1.2 complete. Started with 3.0, 1.0, 1.1 and then 1.2. All with 2X 20kg.
Week1 :8, 7, 7
Week 2: 8, 6, 6
Week 3: 9, 6, 7
Week 4: 8, 6, 7 (All weeks were done with 20 minute sessions)

I chose the 20 minute sessions this round for two reasons. Time and effort. The 9 rep days took a toll. By week 4 however, I feel good.

Admittedly the last two weeks were horrible sleep patterns. However, On week 4 I was able to complete the sets without a push press for the final one or two reps on all days. The times improved marginally as well, but nothing magical. I am stronger now, my resting heart rate is 50 or below when I wake up in the mornings and my recovery in between sets has improved.

I cannot recommend this program enough. The decision point now is another round with the 24kg's or start the Extreme Burn I just purchased? I'll take recommendations. Thanks Geoff for the program. Thanks to too many others for the encouragement and the comments you provide on this forum.

Four weeks later, 1.2 complete. Started with 3.0, 1.0, 1.1 and then 1.2. All with 2X 20kg.

I chose the 20 minute sessions this round for two reasons. Time and effort. The 9 rep days took a toll. By week 4 however, I feel good.

Admittedly the last two weeks were horrible sleep patterns. However, On week 4 I was able to complete the sets without a push press for the final one or two reps on all days. The times improved marginally as well, but nothing magical. I am stronger now, my resting heart rate is 50 or below when I wake up in the mornings and my recovery in between sets has improved.

I cannot recommend this program enough. The decision point now is another round with the 24kg's or start the Extreme Burn I just purchased? I'll take recommendations. Thanks Geoff for the program. Thanks to too many others for the encouragement and the comments you provide on this forum.
Amazing progress! What was you resting heart rate before? Has it improved much?

KBE has a specific goal. Unless fat loss is a priority now, I would maintain the press momentum with the Giant. From what I hear, the magic is in the 2x24K (I'm far from there yet, myself).

16 weeks of presses warrants a week off overhead work, I think. Something like rucking, squats or getups?

Finished DFW and used this week for a practice session ahead of Giant 3.0 and a RM test with 2x16.

RM test went as expected, got 8 nice and clean reps with form holding up well. Cleaned for a 9th rep but could tell the press wouldn't have been perfect. Followed up with a couple sets of 5 to make the session worthwhile.

In the practice session (practiced first session of 3.0) managed 19 sets of 2 so 38 reps. Was just looking to see how not doing the double front squats from DFW impacted my C+P here.

I'm debating starting 1.0 instead of 3.0. I think the days of 4 and 5 reps will be fine though maintaining 6s will be tough. If I do 3.0 I'm a bit worried sets of 2 and 3 seem (relatively) low effort now and I'll rack up a lot of reps.

If that's what I need though I'll bow to the wisdom of others, I haven't afterall achieved the 10RM 1.0 asks for. I guess 3.0 suggests a 5RM so I'm in between and will make progress on either. Any thoughts appreciated.

Finished DFW and used this week for a practice session ahead of Giant 3.0 and a RM test with 2x16.

RM test went as expected, got 8 nice and clean reps with form holding up well. Cleaned for a 9th rep but could tell the press wouldn't have been perfect. Followed up with a couple sets of 5 to make the session worthwhile.

In the practice session (practiced first session of 3.0) managed 19 sets of 2 so 38 reps. Was just looking to see how not doing the double front squats from DFW impacted my C+P here.

I'm debating starting 1.0 instead of 3.0. I think the days of 4 and 5 reps will be fine though maintaining 6s will be tough. If I do 3.0 I'm a bit worried sets of 2 and 3 seem (relatively) low effort now and I'll rack up a lot of reps.

If that's what I need though I'll bow to the wisdom of others, I haven't afterall achieved the 10RM 1.0 asks for. I guess 3.0 suggests a 5RM so I'm in between and will make progress on either. Any thoughts appreciated.
Two weeks ago, I tested 5RM with 2x16K and started the Giant 3.0. I did low volume for the first week; 32-45 reps per session. After Week 1, I tested again and managed 7RM. Yesterday was Day 2 of Week 2 and I managed, comfortably, 72 reps for the session.

From this limited experience, and given your DFW prep, you probably need to spend a week, maybe 2, with 3.0 before switching confidently to Giant 1.0.

My intension is to try the following experiment: Stick with the Giant 3.0 for a while and gradually introduce 2x20K in my sets. Once I manage 5RM with 2x20K, I'll reset and start a full Giant 3.0 cycle with them.

I'm on 3rd week of 1.1 with 2x24KG, 30 minute sessions.

Does everyone try to get "one more set" for each day, or only for the week as a whole, or something else? I am flagging a bit, especially at the end of the session, but my sets seem on the high side, base on this thread. My total tonnage ( fun to type that!) is down as well from 1.0.

Does everyone try to get "one more set" for each day, or only for the week as a whole, or something else? I am flagging a bit, especially at the end of the session, but my sets seem on the high side, base on this thread. My total tonnage ( fun to type that!) is down as well from 1.0.
As far as you are giving your best effort, its ok, not all weeks are equal, your energy lvl may vary and life is always messing up with our "plans", so for me its a no I just keep pushing and count my results every now and then.

Doesn't have to be per workout. For instance if you get the same work in say 28 minutes that last week took you 29 minutes....you made a gain!

I'm in week one of 1.2. My effort varies a bit depending on the week.

Week 1-- Good effort but not trying to break any records. Trying to get near benchmark of week 3 of previous cycle but not pushing too hard. For example, today I did sets of 8. Previous max number of sets in Giant 1.1 was twelve. I hit 11 sets today and could have ground out another but felt good and stopped.
Week 2-- trying to add one set. Pushing a bit harder.
Week 3-- max effort while performing good form. Not leaving a set in the tank. Often trying to get one last set in the last minute
Week 4-- deload-- 20% or more off prior week's effort.

I'm in week one of 1.2. My effort varies a bit depending on the week.

Week 1-- Good effort but not trying to break any records. Trying to get near benchmark of week 3 of previous cycle but not pushing too hard. For example, today I did sets of 8. Previous max number of sets in Giant 1.1 was twelve. I hit 11 sets today and could have ground out another but felt good and stopped.
Week 2-- trying to add one set. Pushing a bit harder.
Week 3-- max effort while performing good form. Not leaving a set in the tank. Often trying to get one last set in the last minute
Week 4-- deload-- 20% or more off prior week's effort.
This in my opinion is completely on the money! You can't go all out every workout! Do it slowly and gradually... maybe methodically is the word?? Go "all out" with common sense 1 week per month...kind of ensures the ability to maintain steady progress at a safe pace.

I'm no expert, just someone who's done the Giant and I agree this approach completely.

Finished 1.0 just now! Serious progress
2x24kg
Week 1: 15, 13, 26
Week 2: 19, 16, 31
Week 3: 26, 20, 35
Week 4 (20 min all others 30): 20, 19, 28
I beat all my week 1 numbers and almost all my week 2 numbers in 10 less minutes! 1.1 is going to have to wait because I’m going to Hawaii in a week. I’ll probably see if I can redo week 3 of the wolf this week.

Last edited:

I try to add one set to the previous week's total with the same number of reps.

Amazing progress! What was you resting heart rate before? Has it improved much?
Thank you. it was in the mid to upper 50's when I began. I think that is good improvement. Like Mr. Grahill, I have been walking with a weight vest on days off. I think that also had much to do with that.

KBE has a specific goal. Unless fat loss is a priority now, I would maintain the press momentum with the Giant. From what I hear, the magic is in the 2x24K (I'm far from there yet, myself).

16 weeks of presses warrants a week off overhead work, I think. Something like rucking, squats or getups?
I am definitely taking a week off. I plan on a couple of rep tests. First with the 20kg's and then with the 24's. We'll see where I am. I like the thought of the four week program for the Extreme and then possibly continuing on to with the 24's in The Giant? I have a couple of days to decide. My life schedule also has a say, unfortunately.
Even though The Giant has leaned me out a bit, my diet has been sub par. That is another optimistic thought, I think I can have the will power for a short four weeks to control the diet along with the work. After that, hopefully it's maintenance.(?)

I just wrapped up 1.0 with 24s using 20min sessions. I made week 3 my hardest with my biggest day 84 reps. Tested with 28s today and hit 14 reps. My previous best was 8. Bodyweight stayed the same but definitely leaner and more muscular. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Restart 1.0 with 28s?

Back
Top Bottom