all posts post new thread

Kettlebell GN Beta program

ok, worked up a Log spreadsheet.

now, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the super circuit idea; @Geoff Neupert sent a follow-up email to clarify the programming.

next is to make sure to do a few max RM tests with a few bells to make sure about the loading.
10 RM bells and, bells that I can keep up for 30 seconds without digging into the burn.

Last edited:
To do was my first session and it was pretty good, I was breathing fire, but it was pretty good. I got five rounds in of Presses with the 20kg bell and 1HS with the 28kg bell. After the break I did goblet squats and snatches, both with the 24kg bell for five rounds. I will easily be able to do 6 rounds by reducing the rest from 2 minutes to 1:45 for both 15 minute sections. I milked today, I'll be more forward leaning Wednesday morning.

The presses and swings were fine, and I can defiantly squeeze much more out of it. Moving forward, I will just do swings, the snatches took way too much out of me. I found that I could do the four presses in about 12-15 seconds and then move on to the swings. Each round took a bit over a minute. The goblet squats took about 15 seconds and then straight to the snatches. But Wednesday I'll be going back to the swings, at least for the first four weeks.

ok, worked up a Log spreadsheet.

now, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the super circuit idea; @Geoff Neupert sent a follow-up email to clarify the programming.

next is to make sure to do a few max RM tests with a few bells to make sure about the loading.
10 RM bells and, bells that I can keep up for 30 seconds without digging into the burn.
I reckon a clock with a sweeping second hand should suffice.

@Geoff Neupert one quick question from me: I bought the program on autopilot, but at the moment I do need more body recomp + muscle building than fat loss as I am at a low bodyweight point. Would you suggest I'd steer clear of ICT for the time being? I do like the program's format and session types, I'm happy to be a tester for a different purpose for this program (muscle building) if there was any appetite for it, but I'd need some guidance on how to go about dieting and approach to it!

@Geoff Neupert one quick question from me: I bought the program on autopilot, but at the moment I do need more body recomp + muscle building than fat loss as I am at a low bodyweight point. Would you suggest I'd steer clear of ICT for the time being? I do like the program's format and session types, I'm happy to be a tester for a different purpose for this program (muscle building) if there was any appetite for it, but I'd need some guidance on how to go about dieting and approach to it!
@Smau6785,

I'd just run the program as is and see what happens.

There's enough strength work in there to put on some muscle.

@Smau6785,

I'd just run the program as is and see what happens.

There's enough strength work in there to put on some muscle.
I'm in a similar boat, and just started ICT this week. Adding muscle is a higher priority than fat loss at the moment, but I'm hoping ICT can either achieve both or at least minimize fat-gain if I'm eating with the goal of adding some lean tissue. We'll see what happens!

First session down on Option 2 yesterday. I can definitely tell this is going to up the caloric burn. I was gasping for air at the end of the last few sets of swings/squats. However, saying that, I still was able to recover back to a slower heart rate using the 2-minutes rest. Right now I'm just strictly following the 2-minute rest and will start compressing that as I am able once I get a sense of how the sessions feel. I felt as though I had picked a relatively good load for the exercises. I am using 16 kg for 1-hand swings and a 24 kg for the strength moves. I will try the 16 or 20 kg for the 1-hand Jerks when I get to session B.

Going to try to keep my caloric intake roughly the same as what I have been logging the past few months where I had seen a very slow decrease over the months prior. That way I can see if the rate of weight loss increases or not.

For those concerned about times I bought a four pack of these from Amazon to time Strong, Giant and GiantX . . . I hope to use one to keep track of the minutes and one for the seconds. They’re repeatable so all you have to do is press stop and then start when you’re ready. They beep.

I still have this week and next week to finish GiantX so if the gym is open New Year’s Day I hope to begin. Looking to get leaner and more conditioned with some hypertrophy on the side. D.v.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 16
Run ICT as written and just eat a little more than usual (I'd add one whole egg to 2 meals for 2 weeks)

Run ICT as written and just eat a little more than usual (I'd add one whole egg to 2 meals for 2 weeks)

I might need to re-think the whole egg thing, I'm already having 6 eggs and 100g of bacon for breakfast every morning, pretty sure my partner won't accept the side effects of 8 eggs a day :p

I'll double up on my afternoon snack (which is normally a protein shake, used to be for convenience and portability with work, then it just stayed), blend it with more nuts or nut butter perhaps; might wake up a bit earlier and try to have a pre-workout bout of protein and some carbs 30' before I train.

I just set my training plan for 2024 and then this comes up again :(

How can I dodge it
Hahahaha!
This is the 2nd year in a row where I am participating in a GN beta test of a new program. Not that I am complaining.....but KB ICT changed my 2024 training plan. Like Giant X changed my 2023.

I have gone as far as to start thinking that whatever program I am doing in the Fall of 2024 should finish in December. So just in case Geoff drops another December beta test, I'll be ready. You know, just in case.

I'm in my 3rd week now.
Notice that I get 5 sets in per segment. Some are 6. The swings take more recovery than the push press for me, so I get 6 sets in with the push press.

I had never done push presses or rows before, so I decided to take an online session with @Mark Limbaga . It was worth the investment to know for sure what correct form really is. My notes from that session are invaluable, and I refer to them each time I need to run those movements.

Also, now that I'm passed my initial stage, I've upped the bells for military and push press and the row. I was too cautious but now I've right-sized.

Last edited:
Finished week 4 today.
Organically in my sets, I've added another PP to the right side, and 2 2HSwings.
I also increased weights some for my last session in Week2.

My concern going forward is the increased time for 2HSw conditioning. 1HSw takes less out of me than 2H, so I may reevaluate after I move up times and reps next week: I have 2 "A" days & those are swing days.

I also need to get more sleep! I managed almost 7 hours last night and that helped.

No significant change in measurements. I see more definition in my shoulders....

Back
Top Bottom