all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Going back to kettlebells after surgery

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hrehor

Level 2 Valued Member
I had my left labrem repaired back in May, I have torn in multiple times over the past three years, I just finished physical therapy and I'm back to hitting the gym. I've noticed a few things thanks to my physical therapist, I tend to over extend my shoulders when I swing the kettlebell or do anything involving shoulder stability, and I'm nervous to press over 15lbs over my head, in PT we got up to 17lbs with an upside kettlebell but by myself I'm still very weary. Any tips for me to work on my should overextension and my over flexibility in general as well as getting confidence back in my shoulder?

Be patient.
Do all of your physiotherapy as recommended by your PT (seems like you are there…)
Keep up with your physiotherapy well after you are officially discharged by your PT; as a preventative measure
Do not return to real training until cleared to do so by your surgeon
Work with an SFG to ensure that you have good technique
Be patient. It took me almost a year to get back to ‘normal’ after my labrum repair.
And… Be patient…

Be patient.
Do all of your physiotherapy as recommended by your PT (seems like you are there…)
Keep up with your physiotherapy well after you are officially discharged by your PT; as a preventative measure
Do not return to real training until cleared to do so by your surgeon
Work with an SFG to ensure that you have good technique
Be patient. It took me almost a year to get back to ‘normal’ after my labrum repair.
And… Be patient…
I don't have any SFG around me sadly. And you just told a 20yr old college kid to be patient, lol. But seriously I will be patient and now that I know a year or more is normal I'll just stick to what I was/am doing. I just finished with PT last week and my final doctors appointment is 27th just to be cleared for everything. Honestly knowing atleast one other person has been through this helps alot, thank you.

Did something to my shoulder in July of '21 while at an indoor rock wall with my son. Take your time and build up slowly. I'm 50 and it has taken me a year with physical therapy and taking it slow. Doing The Giant now, and no issues, but I took my time...

Did something to my shoulder in July of '21 while at an indoor rock wall with my son. Take your time and build up slowly. I'm 50 and it has taken me a year with physical therapy and taking it slow. Doing The Giant now, and no issues, but I took my time...
Granted it's been about 5 months now so I guess I'll just take it slow and be careful, thanks for your help, it makes me feel alot better about it.

And you just told a 20yr old college kid to be patient, lol.
Yeah… could be a problem…:)

There are plenty of SFG’s around that are willing to work remotely with a person. You will have to decide if that might be something that would fit for you.

I was much older than you when I had mine fixed so bear in mind that recovery times I had might not reflect yours. I had a high level of fitness going into surgery and I was extremely motivated in my recovery strategies, so that may have offset the age issue; who knows. We are all different.

Best of luck…

A bit of my "shoulder story" here - take it for what one person's experiences are worth to you.

I have been diagnosed with a torn labrum in my good shoulder, and am pretty sure that, plus other things, are also in my bad shoulder. Doctors have also given me a diagnosis of "severe arthritis" in both shoulders. I've never had shoulder surgery and have no plans to, either.

At the time of my torn labrum diagnosis, I was suffering from overuse injuries to both shoulders - poor planning of my training and less than perfect form on the many kettlebell presses and weighted pullups I was doing at the time. I elected not to have the surgery because I first wanted to heal from the overuse injuries and see where I was, and more than one person I trust said that a torn labrum doesn't necessarily require surgery - some of that depends on what you plan to do with your shoulders.

My point in sharing this story is to say that, while I was in the same boat as many here in that my recovery took a long time, the legal phrase "proximate cause" comes to mind - which is to say that my torn labrum wasn't why my shoulders hurt, and that's the point. It can be good to try to sort all this stuff out when you're injured. What's not in great shape may not be the cause of your current pain and/or dysfunction. Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that. I'm deadlifting, bench pressing, squatting (and setting state powerlifting records as I go), swinging kettlebells, doing pullups and skin-the-cats on the rings, and I'm even learning the Olympic lifts now. I am, no doubt, more careful with my shoulders than many, but not being able to be carefree with one's body is something that I think, for most of us, comes with age sooner or later, and I'm happy to pay the price of being mindful of what I'm doing for the privilege of avoiding surgery.

Strength fixes _so_many_ things. It's not just that I pay attention to my form or that I'm more careful not to overtrain, it's my foundation of strength on which I build what I can do today, in my late 60's, and on which I plan to continue to build in the future.

-S-

@Steve Freides raises good points (no surprise)

My surgeon told me that he normally would not have done the surgery on my right shoulder at my age, but because I would not have been able to climb without having it done that he would do it. And it was a great success.

Fast forward a few years and I get diagnosed (MRI) with a torn labrum in my left shoulder (collect the set). This time around however the pain and mobility limitations did not warrant surgery and were able to be addressed by physical therapy, and by paying closer attention as to how I do things…

After my hernia surgery I started working out with a 5 lbs. Kettlebell. 2-years later I am using a 70 lbs Kettlebell. Give yourself 6-month to one year to recover. Its not just the part of your body they fixed, its also your abs & every other muscle that is sitting idle and getting weak. They all need time to build together.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom