all posts post new thread

GTG Plank

LukeWEvans

First Post
Hi,

I am beginning my bodyweight training with learning how to do the hardstyle plank using the GTG method. I am a little confused on how to think about changing reps into time held in the plank and is there a limit to how many sets I should do throughout the day?

Any help would be appreciated.

I am sure other will chime in, but here is my two cents:

My understanding of the hardstyle plank is that it is not meant to be held for long durations. Thus, there's not really a "rep translation" for it. So my suggestion is to just follow the general greasing the groove guidelines. Make it feel strong, as do it as often as you can without getting sore or your strength in it suffering.

Since there is no real way to gauge how hard you are contracting the plank (again, since long duration is not a goal with it), you will essentially be squeezing as hard as you can (with an effort for best technique) no matter how long you have been practicing it. The longer you have been practicing it, the harder you will be able to squeeze, but it will feel like a similar effort, if that makes sense.

If you end up dong lots of sets throughout the day, and you feel like you have plateaued with it, then you have options to progress:
- you can do a different exercise, like the hardstyle pushup (if hardstyle suits you)
- you can start to do "clusters" of your planks. That is, instead of holding it once each time you go to practice, you will do it 2-3 times with a short rest in-between, This might be bending the "rules" of greasing the groove a bit, but if you still feel fresh practicing this way, I think you should be good
- if you are doing the hardstyle plank for core training, then you can find a different core exercise

Hope it helps, welcome to the forum.

when i first did the hardstyle plank and sit back, I did so many of them, that my abs became very sore. Less than what makes you sore, I think.

Practice max tension generation.

the most I do now for sit-backs is about 3-5 "sets" of power breathing about 3 times a week.

I do hardstyle planks a lot. Most often as the last thing in a weightlifting session. Execution matters, and getting in a good position matters, but there's not "form" or "technique" to worry about other than creating and holding a strong contraction through the abs, glutes, lats, and creating whole body stiffness.

GTG is about fresh and flawless reps of a movement, so that you grease the groove of that movement requiring neural drive and strong muscle contraction through a range of motion. So it's best used for pull-ups, pistols, one arm push-ups or other push-up variations, or really any strength movement where you want to be strong enough (and have enough strength endurance) to do Y number of reps in a set, but you can only do X number of reps in a set currently, so you do X/2 reps several times throughout the day to build volume with quality practice.

So hardstyle plank isn't the best match for the GTG method, though you still could use it as a way to build volume and make that position stronger. I think I'd just do about 3 x 15 sec maybe 3x/day max, and maybe every other day, or 3 days per week total.

15 seconds is the generally used length for hardstyle plank. If you can hold it longer, you're not contracting intensely enough and it becomes more of a "regular" plank.

I am a little confused on how to think about changing reps into time held in the plank
As per...

it is not meant to be held for long durations. long duration is not a goal with it
Isometric Action

The Plank is an Isometric Action; A "muscular action in which tension is developed without contraction of the muscle.''

An Isometric Action is the only type of Maximum Strength Training that allows an individual produce Maximal Force.

Maximal Force Production take place with an all out effort of 10 second, usually much less time.

With an Isometric Action performed any long, Force Production drop like a rock.

A good article by Dr, John Rusin goes into this...

Myth #2 – Hold Your Planks, Like, Forever!

In 2014, Mao Weidong set the world record for the longest plank hold according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Four hours and 26 minutes!

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen."

While this feat was described as an impressive showing of "core strength, " was it really?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mao's abdominal wall was not maximally contracted the entire duration of the hold. However, he was able to hold on just long enough to position himself in a perfect orientation to hang out on the anterior pelvic ligaments and tendons of the hip.

World class strength? Not so much. Precursor to tendinopathies and ligamentous trauma? Yeah, that's more like it.

Wasted Time and Limited Results

Individual who persist with mega endurance plank training movements are wasting time that should be spent on shorter, more intense plank training abdominal sessions.

- you can start to do "clusters" of your planks. That is, instead of holding it once each time you go to practice, you will do it 2-3 times with a short rest in-between,
Cluster Set Planks

This is one of the most effective method for Plank Training.

Pulsing Planks

Essentially, this is Cluster Set Training: ,,,"Interrepetition rest... a rest interval after every repetition or after a certain number of repetitions."

This allows some Muscle ATP Restoration, which ensure greater Force Production for he next Isometric Action; which increases strength.

This is the only video demonstrates it,

What I would add to it is with each Pulsing Plank performed, a Maximal Isometric needs to be perform for 3-5 seconds.

Contract-=Relax-Contract Pulse Training Part 1

As per Dr. Stu McGill's research, note in the post listed above...

",,,Whenever performing a powerful movement, the muscles will go through 3 phases: contract/stiffen, relax, and contract/stiffen once again upon impact, showing a "double" peak in activation...''

The same application applies in a Pulsing Plank; greater Maximal Strength Force Production happens.

Extended Plank Timed Sets

Time Planks for let's say a set of minute or longer to some degree work the abdominals.

However, a very limited training value is elicited with that method,

Add that is Rusin's observation that in a Plank Brace for time, the abdominal muscle may not engaged that much.

As per...

15 seconds is the generally used length for hardstyle plank. If you can hold it longer, you're not contracting intensely enough...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom