all posts post new thread

Hard Reset

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BEDevil

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello forum.

36/M/215

Goal: Do less - better.

Active duty military with the USAF for 13 years now. I'm separating in a few months with an arms length of injuries and disabilities from years of poor training habits, harsh working conditions, and too much 'fun' at times. I have a wife and three children, 15/13/3, f/f/m. I want to stay large enough to be vaguely intimidating to the boys my daughter's will inevitably bring home, and still be able to run and play with my boy when he's a teen. My fitness regimen then will be minimalist, restorative, and focused on mobility with strength. Going to post here to keep me honest.

Training log 28 Jan 2018

OA Snatch practice 5x5 ea @ 28 kg.
Fighter PU, w/weight 4/3/3/3.
Bench press 2x5 descending, 215/195.

Right shoulder is giving me problems and bench didn't feel great, so today's weight was a significant drop. Practice was steady, but unhurried. Was working on homework on standing desk in my rig to encourage longer rests.

Training log 29 Jan 2018

Fighter PU, w/weight 4 4 3 3
OAS @ 40Kg 10/10x5
TGU @ 32Kg 1/1x5

Slow and deliberate practice. 20 swings per set - then long rest. Alternating TGU - then long rest. Treated TGU like iron yoga holding each position for a breath and tension. Right shoulder still feeling wonky, but only an issue bracing the floor. 35 min total.

Training log 30 Jan 2018

OA Snatch practice 5x5 ea @ 28 kg
Fighter PU, w/weight 4 4 4 3
Man Makers 5x1 @ 28 kg

Easy paced practice again, although faster than my last couple because I was feeling rushed. Ditched the bench press because of the shoulder and decided to do a few weeks of my man maker instead as a full body that doesn't hurt. My man maker version is slightly different in that I like to add a wide forward jump into a sumo stance and finish each cycle with a sumo deadlift. Did 5 singles. Felt a little like work so cut it at 5. I'll add reps till I hit 10 and start compounding them until 2x5 is light.

Make up entry-

Training log 1 Feb 2018

1 Hour Karate class

Training log 3 Feb 2018

OA Snatch practice 4x5 ea @ 28 kg, 5x1 @ 32 kg
Fighter PU, w/weight 4 4 4 4
Man Makers 6x1 @ 28 kg

Long break because of back problems. Wore some kit all day dragging bags, then spent the next day in chem gear... Played havoc on me. Rested, stretched, got some extra sleep, went back to the bells.

Singles on the snatches between my sets of 5's, added some dips that I didn't log also. Relaxed pace to everything so as not to upset my back, so I took extended breaks staining a bench I built for the wife on the other side of my 'gym', the woods shop.

Training log 7 Feb 2018

OAS @ 40Kg 10/10x5
TGU @ 36Kg 2x1.75, 32Kg 1/1x3

Decided to goof around some today after picking up a HR monitor. I didn't read too extensively on training methodology to avoid the rabbit hole, but instead just knocked out jumping jacks until I hit 65% Max and used that as my baseline. I hit 10 OAS and waited for HR to drop to 65% and did the next 10. I did the same for TGU immediately after as well as upping to 36Kg for first two reps. Shoulder instability made me decide to drop the bell on the decent on my knee (dang right shoulder still bugging me). I think I need to try out some of those funky kneeling windmills and stuff I've read about on the forums and had to YouTube to continue trying to 'own' my 40kg.

Total time was still approximately 18 minutes. Happy with that. When I run out of bells I think I want to train for Simple sub 65%. Call it casual strength.

PS - Dropping additional strength work and alternating days instead. Coach at karate is beating me up along with adding conditioning elements to classes. My intention through all of this is to stay loose and anti-sore.

Last edited:
Training log 8 Feb 2018

Chin ups 1-5-1
Dips w/25# 4 4 3 3

Short and sweet. Validated the weighted work with the fighter program. Wanted to feel my own weight today for some tactical style chins and they were definitely easy with some contacted holds in there just for fun. Back to weighted next session.

Training log 9 Feb 2018

Snatch practice 3-2-1/1-2-3 @ 60/70/80 x 2

OAP 1-5 Ladder @ 60
FS 1-5 Ladder @ 70x2

48 reps on snatch today. Others for fun practice. Pardon my mess of a cave.

Nice work on the snatches, and I like your training area. I was active duty USAF also, for 11 years as what used to be called a Ground Radio technician. Followed that with 9 yrs in the Air National Guard in the same AFSC; retired from that in 2008. Currently working as a civilian contractor for the AF. Good luck with your transition and let me know if I can help with anything!

I sucked at keeping myself honest.. so back to it.

Still trying to do less better. Still waiting on a medical retirement from the military.. Still trying to be strong enough for my family.

Workout Log 11 Aug 18

My Easy Strength

DL 2x5 @ 215#
OHS 2x5 @ 135#
BB Press 2x5 @ 115#
Chin 6, 6, 5 @ BW+10#

Finished with EMOM 3 Power Clean w/push jerk @ 95#. In a barbell cycle felt like doing some barbell based armor building.

Nice work on the snatches, and I like your training area. I was active duty USAF also, for 11 years as what used to be called a Ground Radio technician. Followed that with 9 yrs in the Air National Guard in the same AFSC; retired from that in 2008. Currently working as a civilian contractor for the AF. Good luck with your transition and let me know if I can help with anything!

Very dated response, but thank you for the comment. Glad to see another AF vet on the board. Thank you for the compliment. Back to the grind for me.

Workout Log 13 Aug 18

My Easy Strength

DL 2x5 @ 225#
OHS 2x5 @ 135#
BB Press 2x5 @ 125#
Chin 7, 6, 6 @ BW+10#

Followed with 15:00 of squat clean singles @ 125#. More barbell based armor building. Feeling my way through the whole strength/time pacing. I'm definitely going too lite. 25 reps and pulse barely broke 95.

Finished with an easy jog averaging 10:00'ish per mile for two miles and change. It's vaguely a part of my workout, but more a commitment for one of my six pups who's "special." I try to get my Rizzo as close to 10 miles as I can a week in 1.5-2.5 increments.

Workout Log 14 Aug 18

S+S practice

OAS 5x10x2 @ 44kg
TGU 3x1x2 @ 44kg

Bent press 5x1x2 @ 70#

Second day playing with my new 44 and still getting used to it slowly. Did my 10x10 OA in about 12 minutes. I wasn't confident on day one to take the bell back to the floor, did for the first on each side today then dropped while sitting vertical.

Jog with my Rizzo after slow and casual.

As an aside, doing another "carnivore challenge" for at least another month. Have been maintaining easy keto for several months after my initial, but giving it another go. Going to be eating 3-5lbs of meat a day. Curious to see what effect, if any, it has on my numbers and reflection.

Workout Log 17 Aug 18

My Easy Strength

DL 5/3/2 @ 215#/235#/255#
OHS 5/3/2 @ 135#/145#/155#
BB Press 5/3/2 @ 125#/135#/145#
Chin 7, 7, 7 @ BW+10#

Finished out with 10:00 EMOM 1 cl + 5 jerks for the armour building for today. Rizzo doesn't get her run, both my daughters are at the HS soccer game and I'm with my 4 year old son AKA workout partner. I'll make it up to her.

Needed last two days "off" because life got in the way, and full zero carb needed some time to settle. Felt sick after karate from probably overeating, but have felt great since. Zero NSAIDs, much less pain, and great strength work today.

Last edited:
Workout Log 18 Aug 18

My Easy Strength

DL 2x5 @ 255#
OHS 2x5 @ 145
BB Press 2x5 @ 135#
Chin 5, 5, 5 @ BW+20#

It's a Saturday full of being on single dad of three status and a homeowner. Several workouts today separated by chores, back to school shopping, etc. Fed six dogs and three kids, mowed lawn, strength work, installed light fixtures, school shopping, home improvement shopping, fed three kids, armor building, installed two updated wall outlets, Rizzo gets a jog, house cleaning, cartoons with four year old and PhD HW after feeding three kids again. When through definitely having a couple Gin cocktails.

Ugh.. first days of school means adapting to a new challenge. My target is "same but different."

Workout Log 20 Aug 18

Up at 0530 with all three kids making sure my teen girls are up for highschool. My four year old asleep on the couch, Rizzo gets her jog while the girls "do their hair." 2 miles, first day photos, work.

Evening, after work, with little man and girls are at their respective practices.

My Easy Strength

DL 2x5 @ 255#
OHS 2x5 @ 145
BB Press 2x5 @ 135#
Chin 6, 6, 5 @ BW+20#

OAS @ 44KG 3x10ea

Much less wiggle in the evenings with all my girls' activities and no free baby sitting while the wife is deployed. Solution = early morning jogs with my spazzy dog and evening strength with my favorite training partner. Morning strength DOESN'T work for me at all without extremely light weight or injury.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom