all posts post new thread

Heart Rate Question

dquinn

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey, all. I've been using my heart rate monitor in lieu of talk tests for pacing both my S&S & AXE workouts. I like the precision. Anyway, my question relates to the threshold to which I should abide.

What I mean is this: 180-my age puts me around 130 BPM. In my workouts, do I need to keep everything below 130 (ish), or is 130 the point at which I can initiate my next set, with work sets going above the MAF heart rate for short bursts of time? If anybody has any helpful insight, that would be great.

Anyway, my question relates to the threshold to which I should abide.
If you can, have a lactate threshold test done. That'll tell you at which heart rate to stop in conjunction with other autoregulation stop signs.

The ‘trick’ however is knowing what your LT is…
This right here ^

Professional testing is best although I’ve heard of wearable lactate monitors for self use but haven’t looked into how accurate or helpful they are.

In the past I’ve been able to estimate mine with a combo a of a few different methods using treadmill LT test at home, incremental talk test, RPE, and max heart rate test, then looking at a few different charts and formula. I ended up with a range for LT by maybe 5 bpm. But from what I’ve read, HR training if within a few beats above or below target zone doesn’t make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom