all posts post new thread

Barbell How do i get strong for football

I'm very skinny. Really weak. I lack strength and also size. I know that if i go on an AMERICAN football field, i would die
(Not soccer. I play american football)

So what position are you playing?

No offense, but if you're really skinny and weak, how are you playing anything other than kicker at high school?

By the time you get to high school, most high school teams, even JV, are made up of kids who have already played Pop Warner.

Unless they're 3rd stringers.

So what position are you playing?

No offense, but if you're really skinny and weak, how are you playing anything other than kicker at high school?

By the time you get to high school, most high school teams, even JV, are made up of kids who have already played Pop Warner.

Unless they're 3rd stringers.
Center.

Having played center, something doesn't add up.

No team will put a "really weak" guy "lacking strength and size" in center.

A weak center will get bulldozed and place the QB in jeopardy; one of the center's jobs is to neutralize the defensive tackles.

You also don't put a newbie in center, because the center has to know the playbook as well as the QB to call audibles that override the planned play due to changes in the defensive line and responding to man in motion.

I was 6', 180-185 lbs at 16 when I played center.

Last edited:
Are you the starting center?

Doesn't really matter if he is even dressing the road to improvement will be the same. Everyone starts somewhere in their weight lifting and football journeys. I know I went from not dressing in Year 9 JV to being all county 3x and playing a bit in University. And I owe most of it to lifting weights.

If he follows one of the programs mentioned consistently and eats a lot, there's a pretty good chance he gains 5lbs or even more a month for the next 8 or 9 months. Best of luck Hotdog.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter if he is even dressing the road to improvement will be the same. Everyone starts somewhere in their weight lifting and football journeys. I know I went from not dressing in Year 9 JV to being all county 3x and playing a bit in University. And I owe most of it to lifting weights.

If he follows one of the programs mentioned consistently and eats a lot, there's a pretty good chance he gains 5lbs or even more a month for the next 8 or 9 months. Best of luck Hotdog.
Agreed.
High school sports are a blast. Do what you can do, put in the work, enjoy the time well spent.

Last edited:
I worked with BFS for years. It's solid. Here's some of the stuff I did as a HS football coach:
Warm up
• Waiter Walks/Suitcase Walks/Heartbeat Walk
• Light Goblet Squats / Hip Flexor Stretch “Make Space”
• Plank (Superman and One Leg Variations)
• Windmill Movements (Get Up Series)
• Bootstrapper Squats “Spread the Load”
• Pushup Position Planks (Superman and One Leg Variations)
• Bootstrapper Squats “Pry Loose”
• Horizontal Shrugs “Relax into Stretch”
• Maxercist Rows “Strength is a Skill”
• Parked One Arm Rows
• Alligator Push Ups Tic-tock-tic-tock...
• RDL Stretch/Timed Pushups/ RDL Stretch/Timed Pushup
• Heartbeat Squats
• Half Turkish Get ups using the elbow as a lever
• Dead Bugs: Resurrected Dead Bugs, Floor Wipers, and Deadbugs with a Heart Beat..16 each
Workouts

Big Five 55
Front squat
Bench
Chicken thieves (Farmer Walks OVER Hurdles with light Kbells)
Power……
Pull Ups
All lifts are except thieves are done in 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Tap out at 23 minutes or so

8 Sets of 5 on the minute
Front squat
Bench
Power Snatch/Clean/Curl

In groups of two perform a set of five then partner does a set of five. Add weight as soon as the second partner is finished. Rest period is however much time between.

This is a great workout because:
-Teaches the kids about proper loading
-Rest periods decrease and the workload increases
-Fairly high volume allows athletes to practice the lifts
-Short rests help the athletes to focus

5-4-3-2-1
Front squat
Bench Press
Hurdles Walkovers
Power Snatch/Clean/Curl
Pull ups
Slam Balls (Take Dynamax Ball overhead to ground HARD!)
Increase the weight on every set.
-Good PR setting workout
-Teaches the athletes to get comfortable with heavier weights
-Relatively short

3-2-1 3-2-1 3-2-1 3-2-1
Front Squat
Bench Press
Farmers Walk
Slam Ball
Add Weight at every cluster
-Great PR workout
-Greases the groove –Shuts the mind down and allows the athlete to just lift heavier weights

The Three Amigos
1-2-3 x5 Add weight
Front Squats
Bench Press
Power curl
Slam Ball
-This workout is similar to the one above except it is likely that you can use close to max weights for sets of three and not feel too much fatigue. Great neurological workout.

2-3-5 x 4
Front Squat
Bench Press
Power Snatch/Clean/Curl
Slam Ball
-Lots of quality volume.
-Each “set” has 10 total reps. You can handle much greater weight than if you just did sets of ten.
-Add a set of ten after five for serious volume. However, this will come at the expense of intensity.

2-3-5-10 x4
Front Squat
Bench Press
Carry (Either a Slosh Pipe or Sandbag or something)
Slam Ball
-Serious volume. It would be hard to find a better way to get this much quality volume in a single workout session.
-Not too draining on the nervous system like 10 sets of 10.

5-8-10 x4
Front Squats
Bench Press
Hurdle walkover
Slam Ball
-Tons of volume
-Easier on the CNS than say 10 sets of 10
-Focus on reps
-Good build up to higher intensity
Goals for boys:

Big Blue Club (Boys)

Power Clean 205
Deadlift 315
Back Squat 255
Front Squat 205
Standing Press 115
One Arm Bench 32kg5 Right/5 left
Power Clean & Jerk 165

Big Silver Club (Girls)

Power Clean 95
Deadlift 205
Back Squat 135
Front Squat 95
Standing Press 70
One Arm Bench 12kg10 Right/10 left
Power Clean & Jerk 75

@Hotdog

Getting Dan to reply with this much writing. This is about the training equivalent of the Sermon on the Mount.
We have a winner.
@Hotdog, if you're serious, make a big poster of everything Dan John wrote here.
Do your warm up. Pick a workout. Do not alter. Slavishly follow it.

Back
Top Bottom