all posts post new thread

Barbell How do i get strong for football

You mentioned Bromley in the OP. I would recommend picking up his book Base Strength. Lots of great info in that book for beginner and intermediate lifters and it also includes 10 pre-made programs in there that you can pick and choose from. Highly recommend.

I believe the beginner one in that book is the volume and intensity program but I'd have to track it down and double check.

Program as in strength program or program as in you join the football team and play

I joined the team. No program on strength
How old are you and what level school team are you talking about? High school? I find it hard to believe that a high school football team has NO strength program they are doing and no gym training time scheduled. If that is the case, you have gotten some great suggestions from this thread on where to start. Do you have access to a fully equipped gym?

I would reiterate that 5/3/1 Beyond by Jim Wendler has a "Beginner Prep School" program and would suggest starting there.

Football seadon os over, right? So you have about 8 or more months to get as strong and conditioned as possible. Focus on strength, first. If you are serious, find a mentor or hire a coach. Or find the biggest, baddest dude in your school or gym and ask him for help.

But a good program probably looks something like this:

Barbell Squat: 3sx5r
Barbell Bench: 3sx5r
Barbell Deadlift: 3sx5r
Barbell Overhead Press: 3sx5r

Do these 3 times per week and NOTHING ELSE for about 3 months. Start very light and add about 5 lb per lift every workout. If you stall on a lift, reset to 60% and begin again. Eat like a machine and sleep a lot more than you think you need. Report back after 3 months.

Then after 3 months take stock of your progress and adjust. About 2 months before the season start incorporating conditioning. At that point your strength and conditioning will become secondary to actual football practice (meaning your strength and conditioning shouldnt impede your football practice, you need to be fresh and not worn down).

Regards,

Eric

If you're planning on being a lineman, I'd add pushing a sled(if you have access to one) twice a week on top of the recommended barbell work above.

I'm very skinny. Really weak. I lack strength and also size. I know that if i go on an AMERICAN football field, i would die
(Not soccer. I play american football)

What are the main lifts i should do(for strength) and the accessories i should do(for muscle. I believe this is needed to fill in weak points and because I'm doing football which is a sport that needs a lot of size. Like if I'm only deadlifting for back then i think that will bite me later on. So if you give me main lifts. Then please give me some accessories. They are essential. Alexander bromley said Hypertrophy is one of the most functional things you can do.

I'm just trying to perform best on the field. I don't have an attachment to lifting. Just want to get rid of things that are not worth me missing my sports practice but it doesn't necessarily mean i want to be an ultra minimalist who only does squat, bench and deadlift or squat, bench,deadlift and pull up or squat, bench, deadlift and row

Maybe:
Squat, bench, deadlift and pull up(main lifts. Strength + muscle)
Calf raises, bicep curls, lateral raise, row(muscle)

Maybe the row is not worth me missing my sports practice. Not too sure.
Age, height, weight, position/s ?

When I was in high school we did bigger faster stronger program. We did bench, back squat, power cleans, box squats, straight bar deadlifts and alternated with hex bar deadlifts Monday Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursdays we did agility drills with boxes, box jumps, and forty yard dashes.

That really sucks that they don’t have a weight lifting program. Those were the best times I had being in high school.

When I was in high school we did bigger faster stronger program. We did bench, back squat, power cleans, box squats, straight bar deadlifts and alternated with hex bar deadlifts Monday Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursdays we did agility drills with boxes, box jumps, and forty yard dashes.

That really sucks that they don’t have a weight lifting program. Those were the best times I had being in high school.
Bigger, Faster, Stronger in high school ( 1981-82 ) as well. Good program.

I might want a beginner to work out a little bit as often as possible. Hence I would slightly favour Easy Strength over a lot of 3 or 4 day a week protocols. I've done it with my teenagers and it worked for them. Both doubled their deadlift in no time.

Just a word of wisdom from someone who went through this process, don't over bench press. Initially, it helps a lot but after a point it doesn't carry over to the field as much as everyone thinks. And will leave you with a lot of shoulder issues. 5-10 min of band and dumbbell work on rear delts every or every other day is almost mandatory.

Last edited:
I might want a beginner to work out a little bit as often as possible. Hence I would slightly favour Easy Strength over a lot of 3 or 4 day a week protocols. I've done it with my teenagers and it worked for them. Both doubled their deadlift in no time.

Just a word of wisdom from someone who went through this process, don't over bench press. Initially, it helps a lot but after a point it doesn't carry over to the field as much as everyone thinks. And will leave you with a lot of shoulder issues. 5-10 min of band and dumbbell work on rear delts every or every other day is almost mandatory.

In my experience (I played center), it barely carries over at all, other than just adding mass to the upper body and shoulder girdle.

In my experience (I played center), it barely carries over at all, other than just adding mass to the upper body and shoulder girdle.

I played NT and found bench great for general upper body strength and just getting generally stronger always helps. But yeah agree totally it's carryover to the field, a lot of other exercises would have had the same effect.

That's a fantastic program and recomendation.

That's a fantastic program and recomendation.
I think Monday was bench and back squat
Wednesday was power clean and deadlift
Friday was bench again with a pad on our chest with box squats.
Week one was 10, 8, 6 reps
Week 2 3x5
Week 3 was 3x3
Week 4 5,3,1

That might be a little off, it’s been over 20 years since I was in High School but it was a solid program and I think I remember Dan John was a big advocate of that program back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom