all posts post new thread

Barbell How do i get strong for football

I'd second to @Kenny Croxdale . Try to find as much material originated near Bill Starr as possible. Ideally, the copy of his book, but it seems to be scarce today.

Build your training on barbell power cleans, bench presses, back squats and hill sprinting.

Don’t over complicate it, find a program that fits the equipment you have available along with time commitment. Eat lift repeat until you know when to change the program or sprinkle in extras. You’ll know when you know. I followed Greyskull LP until I couldn’t get anything else from it. Then Wendlers 531. I don’t touch a barbell anymore or well regularly but life and injuries caused that. But basic barbell programming gave me a foundation of strength for life to fall back on.

I think if you wanted to stay with in StrongFirst universe, PTTP linear, step & wave progression should give you months if not years of progression. Then move onto Reload or Deadlift Dynamite. After that well you could do anything.

How old are you and what level school team are you talking about? High school? I find it hard to believe that a high school football team has NO strength program they are doing and no gym training time scheduled. If that is the case, you have gotten some great suggestions from this thread on where to start. Do you have access to a fully equipped gym?

I would reiterate that 5/3/1 Beyond by Jim Wendler has a "Beginner Prep School" program and would suggest starting there.
Why do 531 programs have no pulls for the main lifts
Arent pulls needed??
I mean, i know they're part of the assisstance but pulling seems to be important

I'm very skinny. Really weak. I lack strength and also size. I know that if i go on an AMERICAN football field, i would die
(Not soccer. I play american football)

What are the main lifts i should do(for strength) and the accessories i should do(for muscle. I believe this is needed to fill in weak points and because I'm doing football which is a sport that needs a lot of size. Like if I'm only deadlifting for back then i think that will bite me later on. So if you give me main lifts. Then please give me some accessories. They are essential. Alexander bromley said Hypertrophy is one of the most functional things you can do.

I'm just trying to perform best on the field. I don't have an attachment to lifting. Just want to get rid of things that are not worth me missing my sports practice but it doesn't necessarily mean i want to be an ultra minimalist who only does squat, bench and deadlift or squat, bench,deadlift and pull up or squat, bench, deadlift and row

Maybe:
Squat, bench, deadlift and pull up(main lifts. Strength + muscle)
Calf raises, bicep curls, lateral raise, row(muscle)

Maybe the row is not worth me missing my sports practice. Not too sure.

When you’re training for athleticism you need to hit every point on the force:velocity curve (google it to see the graph). Structure your sessions into the following categories…

Plyometrics & weighted Plyometrics
Upper: explosive incline push ups, med ball throws, med ball slams, 5-10kg dumbbell curl and press (FAST),
Lower: Jumping, box jumps, broad jumps, hopping, SL triple jump etc (all of those again but wearing a 2-5kg weighted vest), sprints, dumbbell jump squats/lunges

Power
Upper: push press / grind lifts done fast with no more than 80%
Lower: Power cleans, snatches, trap bar jumps, barbell jump squats (usually up to 50-80kg at the elite end),

Strength
Upper: bench press, pull ups, dips
Lower: Squats, front squats, deadlift, Olympic pulls, trap bar deadlift,

Hypertrophy
Any isolation movement

When training for sport you want to avoid minimalism like the plague. I fell into that trap for a number of years. You want to train a variety of lifts that train the same thing; eg one week do power cleans then the next week do hang cleans then do trap bar jumps etc all of which train power.

Some good examples of drills and lifts you can practice on this guys channel.

Arent pulls needed??
I mean, i know they're part of the assisstance but pulling seems to be important
@Hotdog: People are trying to help you here, but you are not answering questions, and not giving context. Anyway, a Deadlift is a pull. If you want upper body pulling, something out of Tactical Barbell or Deadlift Dynamite could suit you.

The biggest thing is: Pick a proven program. Then follow it. Then reevaluate after 6-12 weeks. Keep it simple! You are not smarter than Pavel, Mark Rippetoe, or Bill Starr. Trust them. Try their plans, then adjust if needed.

Proven programs out of the StrongFirst world: Deadlift Dynamite, Power to the People, Easy Strength, Reload, Built Strong Minimalist.
Or many of the other programs mentioned in this thread (Starting Strength, Greyskull, Tactical Barbell, 531, etc etc)

How old are you and what level school team are you talking about? High school? I find it hard to believe that a high school football team has NO strength program they are doing and no gym training time scheduled. If that is the case, you have gotten some great suggestions from this thread on where to start. Do you have access to a fully equipped gym?

I would reiterate that 5/3/1 Beyond by Jim Wendler has a "Beginner Prep School" program and would suggest starting there.
Im 16
In high school
I have access to a fully equipped gym
Age, height, weight, position/s ?
Im 6,0
150lbs
And i play center

Arent pulls needed??
Pulls are needed but are trained differently. Like @Bauer said, deadlifts are pulls. Training other pulls as assistance work doesn’t de-emphasize them, it changes the method.
Im 16
In high school
I have access to a fully equipped gym

Im 6,0
150lbs
And i play center
Your football coach and football team do NO strength and conditioning in a gym?

If i was to go back in time i would have used much more incline bench for football. At no point are you pushing in straight line, especially the linemen, both sides. You drive out of your stance and push up and out, like the thruster machine. I would dumbbell bench,after my incline strength work, for extra stability in my chest and shoulder girdle. Way too many pec tears and blown out shoulders.

We have no weight room and they just tell us to get into shape by ourselves
Surprising. Do you have someone you know who can teach you how to lift? A program isn't even half the battle if you don't know how to perform the lifts.

deadlifts are pulls
Woah. Thats some new information. I always thought deadlifts were hinges and didnt really carryover much to pulls

Also, would you say the overhead press isnt needed since the bench press takes care of pushing strength. Like, i know that benching isn't vertical pushing but to remain more minimalist wouldn't you just squat, bench and deadlift
Surprising. Do you have someone you know who can teach you how to lift? A program isn't even half the battle if you don't know how to perform the lifts.
I learnt from deadlift dynamite by myself. I dont really have anyone to teach me at all

Also, what do you think about deadlifting with your chest out. Shoulder blades retracted. Deadlift dynamite says it will reduce your deadlift numbers but is it good for athletic performance? Im saying this because deadlift dynamite says you will miss some mid back muscles if you deadlift with a partially protracted spine but you will hit them if you deadlift with your chest out. Im asking this because wendler deadlifts with his chest out.

Wendler recommends for back(not in ALL of his programs) deadlifts + pullups(can use chins or rows instead of pull ups). If i did pull ups + deadlifts for back then i would not see the same success as i would using a chest out deadlift form.

Woah. Thats some new information. I always thought deadlifts were hinges and didnt really carryover much to pulls

Also, would you say the overhead press isnt needed since the bench press takes care of pushing strength. Like, i know that benching isn't vertical pushing but to remain more minimalist wouldn't you just squat, bench and deadlift

I learnt from deadlift dynamite by myself. I dont really have anyone to teach me at all
I would include an OHP.

Deadlifts are hinges, but they're also pulls. Something folks have said for a long time is to deadlift for a big back. I'm not sold on that one by itself, without adding additional pulling
I wouldn't train more minimalist. I think both benching and overhead pressing are useful for developing strength and adding size, so I don't see much reason to not do them both. You can have times you prioritize one over the other - e.g. bench is your main lift and pressing becomes an accessory lift.
How are you planning on learning to lift correctly? If you are learning from a book or a video, have you thought about videoing yourself so you can get feedback?
Also, what do you think about deadlifting with your chest out. Shoulder blades retracted. Deadlift dynamite says it will reduce your deadlift numbers but is it good for athletic performance? Im saying this because deadlift dynamite says you will miss some mid back muscles if you deadlift with a partially protracted spine but you will hit them if you deadlift with your chest out. Im asking this because wendler deadlifts with his chest out.
I would worry less about this and more about learning how to deadlift well. Things like setting up tight, getting your low back flat, squeezing your armpits, shoulders over the bar, and taking the slack out of the bar.

What I am understanding you talking about is that some folks round the upper back when deadlifting, the aim being that this shortens your range of motion, which should let you lift more. I would not start thinking about this, as getting better numbers is not the goal. If you are learning to deadlift, and you see that everything looks great, but you see that rounding of the upper back - I wouldn't worry about it. But it isn't something to focus on when you're learning.
Wendler recommends for back(not in ALL of his programs) deadlifts + pullups(can use chins or rows instead of pull ups). If i did pull ups + deadlifts for back then i would not see the same success as i would using a chest out deadlift form.
Yes, I would do deadlifts + pull-ups, and rows as well.

I worked with BFS for years. It's solid. Here's some of the stuff I did as a HS football coach:
Warm up
• Waiter Walks/Suitcase Walks/Heartbeat Walk
• Light Goblet Squats / Hip Flexor Stretch “Make Space”
• Plank (Superman and One Leg Variations)
• Windmill Movements (Get Up Series)
• Bootstrapper Squats “Spread the Load”
• Pushup Position Planks (Superman and One Leg Variations)
• Bootstrapper Squats “Pry Loose”
• Horizontal Shrugs “Relax into Stretch”
• Maxercist Rows “Strength is a Skill”
• Parked One Arm Rows
• Alligator Push Ups Tic-tock-tic-tock...
• RDL Stretch/Timed Pushups/ RDL Stretch/Timed Pushup
• Heartbeat Squats
• Half Turkish Get ups using the elbow as a lever
• Dead Bugs: Resurrected Dead Bugs, Floor Wipers, and Deadbugs with a Heart Beat..16 each
Workouts

Big Five 55
Front squat
Bench
Chicken thieves (Farmer Walks OVER Hurdles with light Kbells)
Power……
Pull Ups
All lifts are except thieves are done in 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Tap out at 23 minutes or so

8 Sets of 5 on the minute
Front squat
Bench
Power Snatch/Clean/Curl

In groups of two perform a set of five then partner does a set of five. Add weight as soon as the second partner is finished. Rest period is however much time between.

This is a great workout because:
-Teaches the kids about proper loading
-Rest periods decrease and the workload increases
-Fairly high volume allows athletes to practice the lifts
-Short rests help the athletes to focus

5-4-3-2-1
Front squat
Bench Press
Hurdles Walkovers
Power Snatch/Clean/Curl
Pull ups
Slam Balls (Take Dynamax Ball overhead to ground HARD!)
Increase the weight on every set.
-Good PR setting workout
-Teaches the athletes to get comfortable with heavier weights
-Relatively short

3-2-1 3-2-1 3-2-1 3-2-1
Front Squat
Bench Press
Farmers Walk
Slam Ball
Add Weight at every cluster
-Great PR workout
-Greases the groove –Shuts the mind down and allows the athlete to just lift heavier weights

The Three Amigos
1-2-3 x5 Add weight
Front Squats
Bench Press
Power curl
Slam Ball
-This workout is similar to the one above except it is likely that you can use close to max weights for sets of three and not feel too much fatigue. Great neurological workout.

2-3-5 x 4
Front Squat
Bench Press
Power Snatch/Clean/Curl
Slam Ball
-Lots of quality volume.
-Each “set” has 10 total reps. You can handle much greater weight than if you just did sets of ten.
-Add a set of ten after five for serious volume. However, this will come at the expense of intensity.

2-3-5-10 x4
Front Squat
Bench Press
Carry (Either a Slosh Pipe or Sandbag or something)
Slam Ball
-Serious volume. It would be hard to find a better way to get this much quality volume in a single workout session.
-Not too draining on the nervous system like 10 sets of 10.

5-8-10 x4
Front Squats
Bench Press
Hurdle walkover
Slam Ball
-Tons of volume
-Easier on the CNS than say 10 sets of 10
-Focus on reps
-Good build up to higher intensity
Goals for boys:

Big Blue Club (Boys)

Power Clean 205
Deadlift 315
Back Squat 255
Front Squat 205
Standing Press 115
One Arm Bench 32kg5 Right/5 left
Power Clean & Jerk 165

Big Silver Club (Girls)

Power Clean 95
Deadlift 205
Back Squat 135
Front Squat 95
Standing Press 70
One Arm Bench 12kg10 Right/10 left
Power Clean & Jerk 75

Back in the day, around fifteen years ago there was a site called Crossfit Football. It was started by a jacked offensive lineman that played for the Chiefs. It went like this.

Day 1:
Squat: 3 x 5
Bench Press: 3 x 5
Short WOD or sprints

Day 2:
Power Cleans: 5 x 3 reps
Short WOD

Day 3:
Squat: 3 x 5
Press: 3 x 5
Short WOD or spints

Day 4:
Snatch or Deadlifts: 5 x 3 reps
Short WOD

Day 5: Saturday
A short Strongman medley or rest if needed

A very simple template but pretty much what you need. Sprints should follow as the WOD after squats. I used this while getting ready for a IRAQ deployment and it fit very well. Most of my sessions were under an hour from warm up to cool down. You can still find the templates online if you search well. The site has been disestablished but the guy runs his own pay to view site that has great information.

Oh yeah, start eating a butt ton.
I followed this programme to for a while, when it came out. My 15 year old son plays rugby, I started him on Starting Strength.

Back
Top Bottom