all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How strong you can get with single kettlebell?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If I were on a desert island, I'd go with the 70 lb/32 kg. Press, Squat, Row, Swing, TGU, Snatch, Clean. Life's complete for me at that weight.

I have a couple of 88's. I can do TGU's, Swings, Racked Squat, Deadlifts, Rows and Push Press. I've completed S + S with the 88.

When I see guys, whether it be Mike Mahler snatching the beast or others playing with heavier bells, I just think it will tear the heck out of your hands quickly.

I'm 48 and at 183 lb. feel strong enough. Middle age + Ego + Heavy = Injury. I just skate in my lane these days.

I am curious to hear how badly hands get worked over for people pushing into 48kg and beyond. How much skin damage? How much hand and finger fatigue? Mostly curious since I’m a guitarist and have to consider these things.

@Geoduck
I can only swing the 48 not snatch it, but to me there's no difference to e.g. when I could swing the 32 but not snatch it.
The 48 is as easy or hard (depending how you define it) on my hands as the 24, 28, 32, etc. used to be. The hands adapt to the stress.
IMO it's more about technique than weight. Your hands can be able to handle the 48, but poorly performed snatches with the 16 can still rip them open.

Agree with @Kettlebelephant By the time you're ready for the 48 you would have, hopefully, built up some strength and conditioning to be able to use that weight both for skin issues and muscle fatigue. Right now I'd rather do a set of 5 swings each arm with the 48 then 30 snatches each arm with the 16 - the swings feel easier. But since I'm interested in GS I need to be able to do high rep work and for me high rep work is brutal.

I'm 48 and at 183 lb. feel strong enough. Middle age + Ego + Heavy = Injury. I just skate in my lane these days.

I vehemently disagree. No such thing as strong enough. I agree that middle age + ego + heavy = injury, but the problem variable in that equation is "ego." Middle age + heavy + smart training = continued progress even in middle age. I refuse to be one of those guys who always puts my age after everything as if it means something.

Of course I recognize that it's very possible I'm in denial since in January I'm going to have one of those birthdays with a number that has a "0" in it.

@MikeTheBear said it right...

SMART TRAINING

Full disclosure... I'll be the first to admit I pull the age card at times.

But... listen to Mike people... Smart Training

I am curious to hear how badly hands get worked over for people pushing into 48kg and beyond. How much skin damage? How much hand and finger fatigue? Mostly curious since I’m a guitarist and have to consider these things.

If you train responsibly and use (but don't abuse) chalk when you need to, the skin on your hands will not suffer too much. The only time I've really messed-up my hands was when I first learned how to snatch and got carried away and did a ton of reps. I tore the skin on my palms about 1.5" below the base of my fingers. This did not affect my guitar playing whatsoever.

Your grip will get fatigued from swinging a heavy bell but this can be helped by increasing rest times between sets and working your finger extensors with an elastic band between sets. Unless you play gnarly shred guitar on super heavy gauge strings, you should still be able to play comfortably even on training days.

I do love my kettlebells, but I've been playing music for over 16 years and if I found myself unable to play because of my training I would have given up training.

So my post came across as a bit "militant" like some guy who is about to turn "30" thinking that they are "old" but not really feeling old. I remember being 30 - it was great. No, I will be turning 50, so let me clarify a few things. I have both a personal and professional interest in the process of aging. I read whatever I can on the subject and I also monitor what is going on with my own physiology. One of the things I read some time ago was that, while there certainly is a physiological difference between a 20 year old and a 50 year old, the difference on a purely physiological level is not a great as people think. What exacerbates the difference is life. On average, a 50 year old has more work and family responsibilities than a 20 year old, and hence more stress. It's the stress that really cuts into recovery resources and ability to train hard. Basically, if a 50 year old had nothing to do but train and then go home and play Xbox (or whatever the kids play these days), the physical differences between this 50 year old and a 20 year old would be much less. There would still be differences, but less so.

I think this is accurate. As I look over the last year, my job has been busy and stressful. I have been dieting for several months. My daughter went to college. She is doing well, so in that regard I am happy, but I definitely miss having her around, so that's a negative stress. My training this last year has been complete sh*t. One thing I've learned to so is to relax on the weekends and holidays. So this is when I push a little harder. If I get a little too sore I know I can eat a bit more protein and take a nap, and those two simple things can go a long way in helping recovery. Over Thanksgiving I did a workout with 500 swings. That's a lot of swings. I was a bit sore and tired, but nothing bad happened. I'm now convinced that pumpkin pie is an anabolic supplement.

I've done lots of lifting with a variety of kettlebells, barbells, and other things for years - my hands are fine. The only problem I've encountered so far is hook grip, which my right thumb doesn't like so I don't use it. (I talked about this at greater length in another thread, title includes Rolling Thunder.)

And I play all sorts of instruments, including playing classical guitar for an hour or so for the social hour at church most Sundays after having been the organist for the service.

The only thing I've found is that my fine motor skill goes missing for a little while after I lift so, e.g., I don't lift before I have to play in public, and I deal with it if I lift and then go right into teaching and that's something I do all the time, e.g., put down the deadlift bar and begin a lesson five minutes later. If I have to play a lot in the evenings, I try to get my lifting done earlier in the day.

All that said, let's put things in perspective - you shouldn't live on the bleeding edge of your current capabilities for most of your training, so if you're regularly training with a 48 kg, you should be OK doing that and it shouldn't be overly taxing to your grip or your skin or anything else.

-S-

So my post came across as a bit "militant" like some guy who is about to turn "30" thinking that they are "old" but not really feeling old. I remember being 30 - it was great. No, I will be turning 50, so let me clarify a few things. I have both a personal and professional interest in the process of aging. I read whatever I can on the subject and I also monitor what is going on with my own physiology. One of the things I read some time ago was that, while there certainly is a physiological difference between a 20 year old and a 50 year old, the difference on a purely physiological level is not a great as people think. What exacerbates the difference is life. On average, a 50 year old has more work and family responsibilities than a 20 year old, and hence more stress. It's the stress that really cuts into recovery resources and ability to train hard. Basically, if a 50 year old had nothing to do but train and then go home and play Xbox (or whatever the kids play these days), the physical differences between this 50 year old and a 20 year old would be much less. There would still be differences, but less so.

I think this is accurate. As I look over the last year, my job has been busy and stressful. I have been dieting for several months. My daughter went to college. She is doing well, so in that regard I am happy, but I definitely miss having her around, so that's a negative stress. My training this last year has been complete sh*t. One thing I've learned to so is to relax on the weekends and holidays. So this is when I push a little harder. If I get a little too sore I know I can eat a bit more protein and take a nap, and those two simple things can go a long way in helping recovery. Over Thanksgiving I did a workout with 500 swings. That's a lot of swings. I was a bit sore and tired, but nothing bad happened. I'm now convinced that pumpkin pie is an anabolic supplement.

Mike,

I didn't take it as military at all. I agree with you on not playing the age card. Believe me I try to act 25 years younger. I don't agree with everything you said in regard to the 50 vs. the 20 year old. If what you said was true, then athletes wouldn't lose it as they age. I played soccer into my 40's and every year I would get just a 1/2 step slower.

I've done the heavy stuff. And it's not the day I squat 315 with good form for 10. It's 3 days later doing double kettlebell cleans with 45's, which are light for me and something pops. I like my strength working in the 5 RM vs. the 1 RM. That's the point I'm trying to make.

The other issue with aging is normally you would have gained more mileage and likely more niggles and injuries.

When it comes to sport and athletic ability I also believe it brings trepidation - people tend to be more weary and less bullish as you age. This tends to halt progesss as they are beaten in the head rather than the body

When it comes to sport and athletic ability I also believe it brings trepidation - people tend to be more weary and less bullish as you age. This tends to halt progesss as they are beaten in the head rather than the body

I think there is a lot of merit in this observation. Even more so when it comes to higher risk pursuits. I find myself far more willing to back off some climb or boulder problem that is well within my ability, if there some significant fall risk involved. Even a few years back, I would've been more cavalier.
Even in something more mundane and low risk like KB training, I probably tend to let discretion be the better part of valor. I suppose I can always couch it in terms of training intelligently...

Yep. I agree completely. For me, it is pretty simple. I know I can clean & press the 32 kg kettlebell, I have done it a few times.

I also know I can 1HS the 32 kg kettlebell, I have done sets with it. However, when I try to get up with it, I respect it and my body enough to know that I have a long way to go before I can get up with it. Pride be damned, all ego pushed aside, safety and assuredness have to be there first.

When I was younger, I would have ended up hurting myself because ego & pride would have won out. Now, back off, slow down, enjoy the work. The 32 kg is still sitting over there, waiting for me to be ready to come over & challenge it.

I think there is a lot of merit in this observation. Even more so when it comes to higher risk pursuits. I find myself far more willing to back off some climb or boulder problem that is well within my ability, if there some significant fall risk involved. Even a few years back, I would've been more cavalier.
Even in something more mundane and low risk like KB training, I probably tend to let discretion be the better part of valor. I suppose I can always couch it in terms of training intelligently...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom