all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Hypertrophy using PS70?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Aalox

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi guys

I've been PS70 (Zercher Squat) - on the last week of the 2nd month now, and have hypertrophy in my thighs.

Does this mean that my RM has changed and I should re-test or is this normal?

Thanks!

My thighs have grown sizeably. I asked because I understand PS70 as minimal gain in size as opposed to PS50 or BS.

Seeing that I want to minimize hypertrophy, should I retest my 1RM?

@Aalox, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

There are a lot of things that go into growing muscle. One of the more fascinating studies cited in Pavel's original RKC book was that, on the same program, exactly the same percentage of people got bigger as got smaller, and it's worth noting that these were soldiers, so likely 18 years old or so. I don't know your age or training background, but any kind of lifting program if, e.g., someone hasn't lifted before, is thinly built to start with, and is young - that combination will like see hypertrophy with almost any program. OTOH, someone who's been lifting for a while, and is middle aged or older will likely have to seek out programs specifically designed for hypertrophy if that's their goal.

For a better answer to your question, give us some background about you and also give us an idea of the kind of weights and volume you've been doing on your PS70 program.

-S-

Thanks, @Daniel Vintila .

Thanks, @Steve Freides. I'm in my late 20s and recently re-enlisted. Only started lifting after I attended PS earlier this year. I guess this explains the hypertrophy. Been working on Simple beginning end of last year 16kg 2H>16kg 1H>16,24kg 1H (Timeless Simple).

So my 1RM is 65kg, with NL: 210.

Been using 50kg, 55kg, and 60kg.

I remember one summer in my teens when, between the end of one school year and the start of the next, I gained 15 lbs and my waist size shrank by 2 inches.

Ah, those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end ... (those are song lyrics, btw).

-S-

Don't underestimate the value of PS70 for Intermediate lifters for size PS70 is still a high volume program with the minimum NL compared to other programs you may find such as 5/3/1 or whatnot. I'm on my second run of PS70 while deployed. On my 1st run of PS70 using the Big 4 lifts for 2 months, and I got huge. Granted this was after a bit of time off from barbells focusing on KB, but I was doing the minimum NL, and at the end of the 2nd month I was back at pre-COVID strength and bigger than before, and I'm a stocky 5'9" as it is.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom