all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Increasing pull ups with harder progressions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Augustus F-N

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello,

I'm currently doing pull ups every other day. I do 5-8 hard sets and my current max is usually about 16. I've been stuck at this level for a very long time, perhaps even as long as a year. I would like to increase my max without going down the Grease the Groove method. Daily pull ups just aren't practical for me. I'm pretty lean so I don't think my body fat is holding me back. Unfortunately adding weight is also not an option.

I have used ladders in the past to increase volume but I didn't like them so much because they dragged out my training time (I like to do my pull ups and other strength exercises in 30-45 mins every other day).

So - I was wondering whether I could use one arm pull up progressions (side to side, archer type pull ups) to increase my max on the regular pull ups? Has anyone had any experience of this effect?

I would quite simply jump into these harder variations, and see if it worked for me. But I've been put off by people saying elsewhere on the internet that it's no one's place to move beyond regular pull ups until achieving 20 or even 25 reps. Am I safe to move to such harder variations before I have built up my regular pull up numbers?

Cheers in advance (for what it's worth, here are some perhaps relevant bits of information: male, 23 years old, 6ft 2ish, 180lbs no injuries, current strength level - 6 reps on one arm push ups, 15 pistol squats)

Hello,

@Augustus F-N
Plenty of options here.

Some of us will claim to use a weight and go for ladders.

How many time do you train (weekly volume) ? My best progression regarding this move is with 2 sessions a week.

Otherwise:
- did you try the fighter pull up ? (The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited)
- can go for varying the rep speed. At the beginning, you do them fast. Then, you progressively reduce. This permits to increase volume.
- going for harder variation may help you too, but only to a certain extent, as technique will also be different.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Augustus F-N
Welcome...
Options abound for pull-up progressions.
If you would permit me I will ask a question about clarity of purpose. For me training should be harmonized with the goals. You gave us some background (thank you) but didn't mention your training goals or purpose. i.e. why do you need to do these pull-ups, and at the volume you are seeking?

Pet' mentioned the Fighter Pull-up Program. This is a good option.
Archer pull-ups, typewriters, uneven grip, one hand (not one armed) are all good variations. As to whether you should do these before more volume may be dependent upon your ultimate goals.

You say weighted is not an option. May I inquire as to why not? Weighted is a pretty simple and effective method, especially for plateau breaking.

Thank you all for the responses.

@pet' I haven't tried the fighter pull up program, though I have heard good things, just because doing pull ups throughout everyday isn't practical for me. I train 3-4 times a week.

@offwidth Apologies - I should have included, my goal is simply to get stronger at pull ups, hopefully with some hypertrophy. I train MMA, and I hope that pull ups will have good carry over. I suppose I don't need to do any more pull ups, but I always like to get stronger. I had (ignorantly) thought weighted pull ups weren't an option because I don't have access to, nor can I afford, a set of incremental weights with which to progress, and so I had simply been trying to increase my reps at bodyweight.

But thanks to @Kettlebelephant and his suggestions, I realise that those are poor excuses. I'll make some rough and ready gear to weigh me down, if this is superior to archer pull ups etc.

How about this then as an outline - 3 sets, 5 reps each, 3 times a week. Should I add weight week by week, or one session to the next?

Cheers again.

I haven't tried the fighter pull up program, though I have heard good things, just because doing pull ups throughout everyday isn't practical for me. I train 3-4 times a week.
The program is written as 6 days per week, but a lot of people got the same results by doing it only 3x per week, because the frequency was too much for them to properly recover.
So doing it only 3x per week is ok.

@Augustus F-N ... no apologies required.
Weighted pull-ups have so much to offer, at least from my perspective. Using a pack like what @Kettlebelephant said is dead simple and effective. I have often done this. You can also hang weights from a weight belt, or as I do from a climbing harness. Some folks hook their toes through KB handles also. Many options.

@305pelusa here's a link How To Do One-Arm Pull-Ups | T Nation - written by the man of "Homemade Muscle" youtube channel, if he's familiar to you.

And another, by Al Kavadlo How To Train For A One-Arm Pull-Up

I have a vague recollection of similar advice being given somewhere in this forum - I may be mistaken, and in any case I can't find the link. My plan was to use harder variations, not necessarily to get a one arm pull up, but to increase my reps of regular pull ups.

Some suggestions:
You can also do the fighter pullup program on alternating days, this would not hamper the programs efficiency.
If you are after one arm pullups, you really should consider low rep high weight pullups/chinups.
Another option are l-sit pullups. They force you to use perfect tecnique and high tension.
Yet another option are chinnies: pull up, hold the top position for 3-5 breaths; lower yourself to midway, hold again; lower down to almost bottom position, hold again. This is one rep.

The climbers version of @Marc 's chinnies are called 'frenchies'

Pull up to top, hold for 5
Lower
Pull up to top, lower to 90deg, hold for 5
Lower
Pull up to top, lower to 45deg hold for 5
Lower

This is one rep. Repeat as needed...

If you want real evil...
Try them weighted...
Or using towels...
Or from fingertips hanging from campus board rungs...

Evil...

I'll make some rough and ready gear to weigh me down, if this is superior to archer pull ups etc.
IMHO, pullups benefit from using a wide variety of variations. If you need to specialize at one particular kind, then be sure you tilt the balance of your training that way, at least leading up to a meet or test, but if you don't, variety is great.

The archer pullup is a stepping stone on the way to a one-arm pullup. Heavily weighted regular pullups are a different thing. As I said above, I think doing some of both with help both - each can function as assistance for the other, if you want to think of it like that.

-S-

many ways to get stronger and advance in your pullup strength, and it can be done without having a max set of 20-25 IMO. Fighter pullup program is great, weighted pullup program is great and working pullups 3x per week can also be great. My most resent 6 week pull up program was designed for strength gains using progressions/ waving the load just 3 x week.

if you are interested in it, feel free to email me karen.smith@strongfirst.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom