all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Information about McGill stuff

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My biggest WTH for shoulders was working a lot on my TVA / stomach vacuum.
My PT just gave me some TVA+pelvic floor activation with leg slides/curls for pelvic/hip stability. They might help with shoulders too then I would guess.

I stayed away from stomach vacuum past couple of years due to Stuart McGill's advice to brace and not suck in, but working the TVA through vacuums can be good as long as it's not my primary bracing strategy. If the TVA needs specific work to get it in line with the rest of core muscles.

My PT just gave me some TVA+pelvic floor activation with leg slides/curls for pelvic/hip stability. They might help with shoulders too then I would guess.

I stayed away from stomach vacuum past couple of years due to Stuart McGill's advice to brace and not suck in, but working the TVA through vacuums can be good as long as it's not my primary bracing strategy. If the TVA needs specific work to get it in line with the rest of core muscles.

The McGill Big 3 just scratch the surface for reasonable pelvic floor control.

But I've found value in going further into the kind of pelvic floor training used elsewhere (pilates, gymnastics).

What are the Cervical big 3, thoracic big 3 and shoulder big 3?
Check this out:

Personally, I don't think of of them as substitutable goods, but rather complementary.
Okay, but does it work with more endurance type of program? If I don't do S&S, but longer sets etc.
I do both core activation and dynamic mobilization in my warm ups.
That's a good way to do it, but I want to do less.
The McBill Big 3, for example, doesn't do much for hip and shoulder mobilization to make them primed.
I find bird-dogs to mobile my hips and shoulders. Of course I guess goblets and haloes does more.

Okay, but does it work with more endurance type of program? If I don't do S&S, but longer sets etc.

I find bird-dogs to mobile my hips and shoulders. Of course I guess goblets and haloes does more.
Masa, take the stuff you like and put together your own customized mobility program, experiment a bit, keep it interesting.

it all depends on what you’re trying to mobilize for.

And your body.

I’d never be able to BB snatch doing only bird dogs, but I’ve trained with teenage girls who could snatch their regular training weight cold.

it all depends on what you’re trying to mobilize for.

And your body.

I’d never be able to BB snatch doing only bird dogs, but I’ve trained with teenage girls who could snatch their regular training weight cold.
That makes sense. I recover slowly, so I don’t want to spend too much effort for warm up. I want to keep training short too, more like practice. But I figure it out someday, after I’ve solved other issues.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom