all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

TobyC

Well done.

I think the high tension work of the bodyweight version is similar to the double bell IC.

With single bells I think 30-40 sets is "ideal" with up to 60 sets being a higher volume "max."

With double bell I think 15-20 is an "ideal" with up to 30 sets being a higher voluem "max."

So the 20 total sets of BW makes sense to me.

I find this interesting.

You see I am currently doing double bell IC

Dip
Chin
DBL clean
DBL F squat

That's one set.

Using 5 RM for all exercises other than cleans.

I do varied sessions from 10 min all the way up to 40 min

20 mins I can normally do about 9-12 sets

However I certainly can't do much more at 40 mins.
Most I have done is 14 sets

I find this interesting.

You see I am currently doing double bell IC

Dip
Chin
DBL clean
DBL F squat

That's one set.

Using 5 RM for all exercises other than cleans.

I do varied sessions from 10 min all the way up to 40 min

20 mins I can normally do about 9-12 sets

However I certainly can't do much more at 40 mins.
Most I have done is 14 sets
I think the standard IC set of clean>press>front squat will result in more sets than some other options due to the transition time between movements. For example, I don’t get as many sets of chins>dips>trap bar deadlifts due to the time needed to move between each compared to the basic IC trio.

I'm thinking of running Iron Cardio with a 10-30 minutes dictated by a roll of the dice for a session duration when I start beta-testing the protocol the week after next.
  • Roll '1' - 10 minutes
  • Roll '2' - 15 minutes
  • Roll '3' - 20 minutes
  • Roll '4' - 20 minutes
  • Roll '5' - 25 minutes
  • Roll '6' - 30 minutes

I'm thinking of running Iron Cardio with a 10-30 minutes dictated by a roll of the dice for a session duration when I start beta-testing the protocol the week after next.
  • Roll '1' - 10 minutes
  • Roll '2' - 15 minutes
  • Roll '3' - 20 minutes
  • Roll '4' - 20 minutes
  • Roll '5' - 25 minutes
  • Roll '6' - 30 minutes
What variation or variations were you thinking of starting with?

What variation or variations were you thinking of starting with?
For me my baseline is the standard clean/press/squat (1-or-2 KB depending on what's at our base's gym or available) with or without pullups added (depending on which gym I'm at, or locally available infrastructure wherever I may be).

Why not the snatch at the end of the clean, press & squat @LoneRider ? I tried it with pull-ups and it didn't work for me, too much faff between the exercises.
The pull up is not part of the series, it is a separate set.
C+P+Sq Left
C+P+Sq Right
Two pullups
Repeat

It messes with work over time equations, butyain goal with the things is higher pull strength / fitness, so I really like this setup. It keeps the elbows healthy!

@Brett Jones , would you be so kind to write an article on the IC? Is it possible to compare: tgu / c+p+sq training and tgu / swings training? For the general population? I suspect, that swings will give more aerobic conditioning and will train the hinge pattern more. That is great for an athlete. But what about the general population? 55 year old person, young grand-children. For a pleasant day in the zoo, comfortable movement and able body: is it reasonable to swap the swing for IC, and spice it up with TGU, or is the swing still the thing? It would be interesting to read about this. How good is that swing really?

@Brett Jones , would you be so kind to write an article on the IC? Is it possible to compare: tgu / c+p+sq training and tgu / swings training? For the general population? I suspect, that swings will give more aerobic conditioning and will train the hinge pattern more. That is great for an athlete. But what about the general population? 55 year old person, young grand-children. For a pleasant day in the zoo, comfortable movement and able body: is it reasonable to swap the swing for IC, and spice it up with TGU, or is the swing still the thing? It would be interesting to read about this. How good is that swing really?
Quick answer:
Get-ups—"a day without get-ups is a bad day"—Some version of the Get-up should be in "everyone's" routine

Swings + IC = peanut butter + jelly...two great tastes that taste great together—alternating sessions of IC and Swings checks a lot of boxes

So not one or the other but a mix of both

Quick answer:
Get-ups—"a day without get-ups is a bad day"—Some version of the Get-up should be in "everyone's" routine

Swings + IC = peanut butter + jelly...two great tastes that taste great together—alternating sessions of IC and Swings checks a lot of boxes

So not one or the other but a mix of both
I knew that you would say that.
More to that - I think your statement grows on me, and soon I will agree with it.
:)

I have been doing Iron Cardio 3x a week for 6 weeks. Started with 6RM push press bell. 20m c+pp+sq; 25m c+pp+sq+pull up; 30m travelling 2s+pull up. Tested this week and 6RM push press has turned to 9RM and also 5RM press (4TRM actually). Pull ups stayed the same (6RM). I will be continuing with a press (instead of a push press).
But what could be a good option for twice a week plan? I am thinking about starting with 20m c+p+sq+pull up and 40m travelling 2s+pull up. Does it sound reasonable? I am also starting a clubbell program, twice a week 30s on/30s off for 20m.

I have been doing Iron Cardio 3x a week for 6 weeks. Started with 6RM push press bell. 20m c+pp+sq; 25m c+pp+sq+pull up; 30m travelling 2s+pull up. Tested this week and 6RM push press has turned to 9RM and also 5RM press (4TRM actually). Pull ups stayed the same (6RM). I will be continuing with a press (instead of a push press).
But what could be a good option for twice a week plan? I am thinking about starting with 20m c+p+sq+pull up and 40m travelling 2s+pull up. Does it sound reasonable? I am also starting a clubbell program, twice a week 30s on/30s off for 20m.
Yeah seems reasonable, I would also wave the load too if feasible...

I have been alternating IC with S&S for a few weeks and I have been thoroughly enjoying it! I was wondering how to best add some isolation (hypertrophy e.g. 2-3x10-15r of KB curls or skull crusher's)? Would straight after the IC session, a couple of times a week work best?

I've noticed something interesting as I carry on with my IC practice. As I've been putting more focus on tensing my glutes and quads while I press, I'm getting DOMS in my quads after my harder sessions. I did press rep ladders Sunday, and I still feel it today! Granted, I do other work, including calisthenics for mobility, biking for transport, and martial arts, all of which use the legs to varying degrees, but I'm still surprised.

I think there is something to that "first rep" observation mentioned in the manual. The first rep uses more energy than subsequent reps. But I really like how getting my volume from high numbers of sets with low reps is giving me a lot of practice of tension techniques. These small sets really let me to drill down and focus on technique.

I've been working with kettlebells in one way or another for ... quite a long time. This reminds me of many of the lessons my Sifu tells about how there is always more to learn. And, there are often lessons to re-learn.

Hey sorry for inserting like this in the conversation. I discovered about the Iron Cardio Protocol and wanted to get a better understanding on how to program it and its variations and was wandering if it was better to get the eBook or the Video series on Strong & Fit. Do they cover the same material? I would prefer the written copy, but I saw in the video series also warmups and core exercises plus multiple variations are covered.

Hey sorry for inserting like this in the conversation. I discovered about the Iron Cardio Protocol and wanted to get a better understanding on how to program it and its variations and was wandering if it was better to get the eBook or the Video series on Strong & Fit. Do they cover the same material? I would prefer the written copy, but I saw in the video series also warmups and core exercises plus multiple variations are covered.
if you're a newbie at all - I think the video instruction would ultimately be more helpful in getting you started.

if you're experienced and confident in using kettlebells, then some of the added depth of discussion in the E-Book will be an added value.

if you're a newbie at all - I think the video instruction would ultimately be more helpful in getting you started.

if you're experienced and confident in using kettlebells, then some of the added depth of discussion in the E-Book will be an added value.
Right thanks, I think I'll go with the eBook then and try to follow StrongFirst tutorials on the exercises just to be sure to refine them

Back
Top Bottom