all posts post new thread

Nutrition Is it just me?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Does anyone feel that fomo pressure? Fear of missing out?
Especially so with diets and all the nutrition nuttiness.
Here I am eating good healthy food totally care free about macros, calories and stuff, yet feel
I'm missing out on dietary experiments and giving the nutritional trends of the week a wide berth.
Sometimes I wish I had the motivation to track my calories or measure my protein by weight and put alarms on my phone to alert me when to eat, or not eat. Maybe I should go keto, or something? Maybe I should just do something, anything.....I dunno give up something, go vegan, have 3 avocados a day rather than the oh-so-boring one now and then, or eat only according to my horoscope; Neptune being retrograde in Capricorn right now could be an ideal time for eating according to my blood group. Or someone else's blood group. Might work. It might work for what? Is it just me?
Joking aside, honestly, is it just me? I feel lonely. Is there anybody out there who just eats good food, enjoys very much that good food, is grateful for that good food, is healthy, lean and does not photograph their food before they eat it? Let me hear your voice.....anyone here not on a diet?

I'm 90% of the way there.

I'm working on gaining some weight. So for me, awareness of diet simply means I need to eat something if I am not actively chewing food.

I also don't want to increase any belt holes, so I'm avoiding some grains and pasta as well as lowering my fat intake, and increasing my protein and fruit consumption.

These are very general benchmarks. I don't have so much as a scrap of paper to keep track of any of it and still have toast with breakfast and spaghetti and meatballs on Fridays.

In the course of initial bulking I came to the uncomfortable conclusion I am becoming lactose intolerant :mad:, so am cutting back on my beloved dairy. I still eat some - pretty sure the topping on my lemon creme pie last night had some milk in it...

Reactions: ali
The way I see it: the ultimate FOMO will be dying early or suffering a terrible quality of life in later age, for poor choices earlier in life. I am inspired by my 94 year-old grandfather (in-law) who walks a mile daily, lives on a second floor apartment (stairs only), drives a stick, and has always eaten very well. His last 25 years of old age have been great; more than can be said of the few of his generation left.

@ali

No, it's not just you.

My diet is based entirely on eating foods I enjoy and avoiding foods I don't enjoy ("throw away the broccoli").

I pop into the diet forum on occasion and my reaction is usually to figuratively run away screaming, "Life is too short for this $#!?."

Last edited:
Does anyone feel that fomo pressure? Fear of missing out?
the older I get the less there I miss.
Joking aside, honestly, is it just me? I feel lonely. Is there anybody out there who just eats good food, enjoys very much that good food, is grateful for that good food, is healthy, lean and does not photograph their food before they eat it? Let me hear your voice.....anyone here not on a diet?
I do not want to explain my "diet", as I am sure there are people who would shake their heads. I have muscle on my frame, as I have fat. Mum and Dad just have it about right when it comes to nutrition. Bread, butter. Water. Coffee. Oats. Cheese, milk. Beer. meat, vegetables. Wine. Sometimes a cake...and the good old potato in all its forms. but I do not have a "diet".
I know I could survive on just a few basics as a child, who not knows hunger. I do not have the inclination to make things "perfect"

@ali I know that feeling, too. Everyday you read about the benefits of X food - Anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, better eye-sight, prevents cancer etc.
You want to eat them all, but they are too expensive or just don't taste good.
I try to eat healthy and clean most of the time, but the following quote from actor Keanu Reeves really stuck with me:

"My friend's mom has eaten healthy all her life. Never ever consumed alcohol or any "bad" food, exercised every day, very limber, very active, took all supplements suggested by her doctor, never went in the sun without sunscreen and when she did it was for as short a period as possible- so pretty much she protected her health with the utmost that anyone could. She is now 76 and has skin cancer, bone marrow cancer and extreme osteoporosis.
My friend's father eats bacon on top of bacon, butter on top of butter, fat on top of fat, never and I mean never exercised, was out in the sun burnt to a crisp every summer, he basically took the approach to live life to his fullest and not as others suggest. He is 81 and the doctors says his health is that of a young person.
People you cannot hide from your poison. It's out there and it will find you so in the words of my friend's still living mother: " if I would have known my life would end this way I would have lived it more to the fullest enjoying everything I was told not to!"
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else."

@Kettlebelephant My grandfather fried his eggs in bacon grease every morning, smoked for 40 years, worked in a woolen mill almost all of his life inhaling who knows what. Never drank though. He lived to be 97 with no major health issues other than vision and hearing loss. Just got pneumonia one too many times.

Edit: and I have seen a very old picture of him doing a human flag on a clothesline. Almost positive his only exercise was his physical job.

I used to have the attitude of "just eat healthy", with no thought of food groups, calories, macros and such. Then I started boxing competitively, and so these things became more important, as did predictable weight loss.

Fast forward to today, I'm not boxing competitively anymore, and so the number on the scale doesn't matter (thank God). However, to this day I've never had a six pack. And I want one.

Therefore I shan't be going back to the "just eat healthy" attitude, given that my body just doesn't naturally stay that lean. I'm currently on my second or third flawless week of Tim Ferris' Slow Carb Diet alongside near daily S&S with the 32kg (BW 72-74kg), and there have already been awesome visible changes in my body.

In summary, being more mindful of the specifics of my diet, and having things that I do and don't eat is something that simply suits me well, and I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out. (I had to look that up.)

Is there anybody out there who just eats good food, enjoys very much that good food, is grateful for that good food, is healthy, lean and does not photograph their food before they eat it? Let me hear your voice.....anyone here not on a diet?

I'm raising my hand for you. I'm not on a diet, I weighed 151 lbs. this morning and I weighed in at a powerlifting meet a couple of weeks ago at 147 lbs. I weighed that same 147 when I was 18 and I'm 62 now.

It is important to say, however, that most of us were raised with whacky, out-of-balance, wrong, bad ideas of what good eating is, so I did go through a lot of "reprogramming" to get to where I am, and it does require some forethought, some mindfulness, and some willingness to be different in order to not eat whatever crap might be put in front of you. Planning, paying attention, and having confidence in your own values are, IMHO, characteristics that are good in other areas of life, too, not just eating.

-S-

@Steve Freides, I like how you say you reprogrammed yourself as I feel I have done the same. I used the slow carb diet to get my self down under 12% body fat. Now that I am "reprogrammed" I use a few "health practices" to keep my weight where it is at.

3 days a week I fast for 24ish hours. I like being free from the burden of food a couple days a week. 3 other days I eat "normal", Perfect Health diet style. Potatoes, rice, fruit, meat, fish, lots of fat and vegetables, etc...Then one day I get rid of FOMO and I eat whatever I want and drink a couple beers. I haven't weight over 145 for a couple months now, I'm 5'8" for reference. I do not have a 6 pack, more like 4, but this doesn't bother me as I feel great and I can eat whatever I want one day a week.

@Wesker11, I was almost 5' 8" once - measured at 5' 7-3/4", but at 62, and without a steady diet of weighted pullups, I'm closer to 5' 6" now. (Weighted hangs are good for decompressing the spine, and I think weighted pullups do much the same - time to get them back into my program ... )

More like a 2-pack in my case, but that's because I've found I'm much more prone to get sick when I'm thinner any thinner than I am. A friend, years ago, patted his small belly and said, "I call this my 'good life.' If you don't have any, people don't think you're living the good life." It's an old-fashioned way of looking at things but it works fine for me.

-S-

It's interesting today with so much nutritional and dietary advice, some with joined up thinking and some not so much. Diet and nutrition: the origin of fake news, research says.....it's hard to filter and even when you have a hold of what you need/want to know another thing comes along and makes you question what you think you know. Sometimes it is new information, new science, new understanding but most of it isn't. I look out for tasty recipes more than anything, rather than dietary trends but I do find it interesting, more the political and psychosocial issues than nutrition itself, but that interest is tempered by inner turmoil and rage against the machine driving all the nonsense. It's difficult to find a balance, better just to eat something!! Train, eat, sleep. That's about it really, isn't it?

What, no spirulina, chia seeds or quinoa?
Fun fact, or really not so fun after all, about quinoa.
It's main usage was being a main food source for the poor people, especially in a lot of south american countries.
With the new hype about vegan and/or gluten-free nutrition amongst westeners the demand increased significantly. With the increased demand by the rich westeners the prices grew higher and higher and has reached a state where the poor now can't afford one of their main food sources anymore...
Next time you're at a party and a vegan (the obnoxious kind) tells you how you torture and kill animals, tell her/him how she/he starves the poor to death.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom