all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is The 45 Degree Bodyweight Hack Squat Foundational To Foot Rehabilitation?

Specifically, the 45 degree foot angle when doing the bodyweight version with a pole or door post seems to get me a type of activation on the back of my knee that I've never experienced before. The next day, the foot activation feels like someone has unstuck my fascia. Very weird, and very unexpected.
Changing the thread title and starting your post like this is confusing.

Changing the thread title and starting your post like this is confusing.
Would you suggest I start a new thread? Or should I just delete the thread and start over? I had experienced very modest sucess with the entry level knees over toes program (I still do backward walking as a warm up 3 times a week). However, I had ceased doing the other parts because they didn't seem to be advancing the goal posts. When Pavel Macek's old Hack Squat post crossed my email, on a whim, I tried it, and was floored (no pun intended) by the activation and result. I've tried it in GTG style the past few days and have been pleasantly surprised at the result.

Would you suggest I start a new thread? Or should I just delete the thread and start over? I had experienced very modest sucess with the entry level knees over toes program (I still do backward walking as a warm up 3 times a week). However, I had ceased doing the other parts because they didn't seem to be advancing the goal posts. When Pavel Macek's old Hack Squat post crossed my email, on a whim, I tried it, and was floored (no pun intended) by the activation and result. I've tried it in GTG style the past few days and have been pleasantly surprised at the result.
I would suggest at the very least restating the title in your thread post, rather than having a title like a half sentence and then starting the post as if it was the rest of the sentence. It isn't terribly hard to figure out when that post is the first post, a little different when it is the 19th post.

In general I don't recommend deleting the thread, and since your post seems more about the hack squat and KOTG / Pavel Macek I don't see a reason to start a new thread.

I could just be crotchety. I'm not a monk or a Jedi.

I would suggest at the very least restating the title in your thread post, rather than having a title like a half sentence and then starting the post as if it was the rest of the sentence. It isn't terribly hard to figure out when that post is the first post, a little different when it is the 19th post.

In general I don't recommend deleting the thread, and since your post seems more about the hack squat and KOTG / Pavel Macek I don't see a reason to start a new thread.

I could just be crotchety. I'm not a monk or a Jedi.
I have crochet'd a new thread title which decreases the crotchetiness.

Two cents:

2 days isn't really enough time to know whether something is going to make long term changes. With my own issues, I have found things that seem like a "magic bullet" the first few times I do them, only to have them lose that effect over time, and/or the effect is inconsistent from session to session. The thing you really ought to be looking for is whether doing something new/different for a long period of time (at least a month, imo) seems to have the effect you want. It could be the hack squats that do something particular to you that helps, or it could be other factors on the days you did them. It could be that you didn't do something else.

The hard part is not changing too many things at a time, so you can tell what changes might actually be having the effects you are looking for.

I am not suggesting you stick with the Ben Patrick stuff, necessarily. If you don't want to, and you think the hack squats are working better, then try that for a while. I would simply ask yourself if $50/month is worth it to you to have someone "program" things for you.

Last, in general, I have also found that things which seem to improve symptoms/function within the same session tend to be things that are worth exploring/adding.

Two cents:

2 days isn't really enough time to know whether something is going to make long term changes. With my own issues, I have found things that seem like a "magic bullet" the first few times I do them, only to have them lose that effect over time, and/or the effect is inconsistent from session to session. The thing you really ought to be looking for is whether doing something new/different for a long period of time (at least a month, imo) seems to have the effect you want. It could be the hack squats that do something particular to you that helps, or it could be other factors on the days you did them. It could be that you didn't do something else.

The hard part is not changing too many things at a time, so you can tell what changes might actually be having the effects you are looking for.

I am not suggesting you stick with the Ben Patrick stuff, necessarily. If you don't want to, and you think the hack squats are working better, then try that for a while. I would simply ask yourself if $50/month is worth it to you to have someone "program" things for you.

Last, in general, I have also found that things which seem to improve symptoms/function within the same session tend to be things that are worth exploring/adding.
Excellent feedback. My working hypothesis is that because all of my training involves moving either forward or backward (even Ben Patrick's stuff), there's something about the 45 degree offset that feels like its ungluing my sticks like a massage therapist would do. I'll keep an eye on progress, but my feet still seem to be responding and, of course, saving $50 a month is nothing to sneeze at!

After re-readiing the title: "Is the 45 degree bodyweight hack squat foundational to foot rehabilitation?" I have another comment.

To answer the above question, as stated: no.

Edit: see below; but if the hack squats help you, they are worth doing.

If you really want to know about the foot, go search "Gary Ward Aim." He is the master of all things foot-related imo.

The only "main structure" of the body that has more joints than the foot is the spine. The foot is supposed to move (and so is the spine, for that matter; but that's a whole thread on its own). It's not supposed to stay in an arch. The purpose of the arch (if we want to talk about it this way) is to give the foot range of motion to spread into to absorb force. It does so by pronating and flattening, then re-supinating when you lift it. Pronation, hip and tibial internal rotation are also linked to dorsiflexion of the foot. Have trouble with ankle mobility? Look at the other things. Pronation is coupled with internal rotation of the tibia and hip, as well as pushing into the ground. If you watch sprinters, for example, you can clearly see this.

Gary Ward's book, What the Foot? is not cheap, and it requires some anatomical knowledge, but it changed my perspective on movement drastically.

As an interesting side note/tangent: internal rotation is how we push in general; this includes the upper body. All your major "pushing muscles" are internal rotators. If you perhaps experience what you consider to be "impingement" symptoms with internal rotation, you might just not have enough of it! You cannot move into a place you already are.

Back
Top Bottom