all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed isometric routines - Bogdasarov and others?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cwheeler33

Level 6 Valued Member
It seems like several like minded people are re-exploring isometrics. In fact I'm planning on doing a 6 week block very soon. As such, I was looking for some information and more specifically example routines. @North Coast Miller 's thread has been very informative.

Pavel had written about Isometric's a long while back: ISOMETRICS:IRON FOSSIL OR SECRET WEAPON?
In that article he mentioned a 14 exercise routine "If you are after all-purpose strength a variety of exercises with fewer contractions per exercise are in order. Bogdasarov’s (1991) routine, popular among Russian martial artists, consists of fourteen exercises, each done for two to three sets with one to two minutes of rest between sets."

One of my burning questions, what is that routine by Bogdasarov?
Regardless, for those that have done isometrics, what routines have you done and what were your results?

I think this is a pretty solid routine, regardless of how you're implementing the static holds (Isochain, towel, straps, etc.):

But when people talk about isometrics, gymnastics never seem to be brought up by people aren't already hardcore calisthenics guys. While weightlifters forgot about isometrics 50 years ago, gymnasts have been perfecting the art of building muscle and might with static holds this entire time:

It seems like several like minded people are re-exploring isometrics. In fact I'm planning on doing a 6 week block very soon. As such, I was looking for some information and more specifically example routines. @North Coast Miller 's thread has been very informative.

Pavel had written about Isometric's a long while back: ISOMETRICS:IRON FOSSIL OR SECRET WEAPON?
In that article he mentioned a 14 exercise routine "If you are after all-purpose strength a variety of exercises with fewer contractions per exercise are in order. Bogdasarov’s (1991) routine, popular among Russian martial artists, consists of fourteen exercises, each done for two to three sets with one to two minutes of rest between sets."

One of my burning questions, what is that routine by Bogdasarov?
Regardless, for those that have done isometrics, what routines have you done and what were your results?
The contents of that thread and maybe some bits in my “Honest Effort” training log are most of what I know. In my opinion the most important factors are:

- absolute, stable resistance. If it feels like you have to hold back for any reason, change your approach. This is specific to each individual hold. I did a fair bit of tinkering before dialing things in, holds that did not respect this principle tended to disappoint, ones that did tended to work a LOT better.

- train at long muscle length. Training at shorter muscle length (eg holding a curl at the last 15° of upward ROM) is so ineffective it should be discarded immediately. The amount of effort feels identical, the response is NOT.

In the case of compound multijoint lifts, training at the final degrees of ROM can subject the joints to massive compressive force with very little muscle stress. There might be a rationale based on increasing bone density, but is a dud for stimulating muscle strength or hypertrophy or power.

- Push, Pull, Hinge, Squat

I have the book Ultimate Isometrics Manual by Paul Wade, which has several training programs. Some are classics such as Verkhoshanky's , Bruce Lee's, etc. and others are of more recent design. The book has plenty of footnotes, citations, etc.

So far I have tried Wade's Promethean, Promethean II, 6x6, Burn Count, 3 Days On and Iron Man programs.

Promethean, Promethean II, and 6x6 have similar goals in mind - increased force production (strength) with maybe a little muscle growth. The difference is that in 6x6, you test your 1 rep max to start, then work at 70% 1RM until your next test. You test every 2-4 weeks. Under Promethean protocol, you try to hold a target load for 4-6 seconds, and increase the load for your next session if you succeed.

Burn Count and 3 Days On are more on the work capacity/hypertrophy end, emphasizing 20-45 sec. holds to failure. I had more tangible results from 3 Days On, based on before and after measurements with sewing measuring tape. I believe it is because the book says to do 2 sets of 20-45 sec. holds and rest 60 sec. between sets for Burn Count, yet another part of the book cites research that 3 sets, with 20 sec. rest between sets is what produced muscle growth - which is the protocol for 3 Days On. So I believe Burn Count would produce similar hypertrophy under the adjusted protocol.

So far my favorite isometric strength program is 6x6. It's influenced by Verkoshansky, who favored 6 reps of 6-sec. holds based on research that found 6 second holds produced the greatest strength gains compared to shorter or longer holds. I like the simplicity of establishing a target load for each exercise, then working with the same target load for at least 2 weeks until the next 1RM test session. I record the max force reading on my last rep to track progress. It's always going to be higher than the target load, but it's interesting to see the readings go up over time, with some occasional waving.

Wade's book generally recommends training at the mid-point angle, citing the book Applied Anatomy and Biomechanics In Sport, Ch. 8 and an O'Shea paper "Functional Isometric Weight Training", although it also recommends changing the angle more than 20 degrees if you want to repeat the same routine for your next block/cycle. Coming off of shoulder injury, the mid-point angle shoulder press produced more immediate pain relief for me than low or high angles, so I've stuck with it. For the seated row, however, I like training with the elbows in front of my torso because I feel more bicep activation than with the elbows in line with the torso or behind.

Last edited:
I have the book Ultimate Isometrics Manual by Paul Wade, which has several training programs. Some are classics such as Verkhoshanky's , Bruce Lee's, etc. and others are of more recent design. The book has plenty of footnotes, citations, etc.

So far I have tried Wade's Promethean, Promethean II, 6x6, Burn Count, 3 Days On and Iron Man programs.

Promethean, Promethean II, and 6x6 have similar goals in mind - increased force production (strength) with maybe a little muscle growth. The difference is that in 6x6, you test your 1 rep max to start, then work at 70% 1RM until your next test. You test every 2-4 weeks. Under Promethean protocol, you try to hold a target load for 4-6 seconds, and increase the load for your next session if you succeed.

Burn Count and 3 Days On are more on the work capacity/hypertrophy end, emphasizing 20-45 sec. holds to failure. I had more tangible results from 3 Days On, based on before and after measurements with sewing measuring tape. I believe it is because the book says to do 2 sets of 20-45 sec. holds and rest 60 sec. between sets for Burn Count, yet another part of the book cites research that 3 sets, with 20 sec. rest between sets is what produced muscle growth - which is the protocol for 3 Days On. So I believe Burn Count would produce similar hypertrophy under the adjusted protocol.

So far my favorite isometric strength program is 6x6. It's influenced by Verkoshansky, who favored 6 reps of 6-sec. holds based on research that found 6 second holds produced the greatest strength gains compared to shorter or longer holds. I like the simplicity of establishing a target load for each exercise, then working with the same target load for at least 2 weeks until the next 1RM test session. I record the max force reading on my last rep to track progress. It's always going to be higher than the target load, but it's interesting to see the readings go up over time, with some occasional waving.

Wade's book generally recommends training at the mid-point angle, citing the book Applied Anatomy and Biomechanics In Sport, Ch. 8 and an O'Shea paper "Functional Isometric Weight Training", although it also recommends changing the angle more than 20 degrees if you want to repeat the same routine for your next block/cycle. Coming off of shoulder injury, the mid-point angle shoulder press produced more immediate pain relief for me than low or high angles, so I've stuck with it. For the seated row, however, I like training with the elbows in front of my torso because I feel more bicep activation than with the elbows in line with the torso or behind.
I was wondering if that book was useful without the DD new fangled device or not? I ask because I have no intentions of being their over priced gadget. Buying plywood and straps is more within my budget. If the book is dedicated to their machine I wonder. But versatile books are always within my budget...

speaking of contraptions - does anyone have thoughts/opinions about the various Bullworker products? From their bow thingamabob tp their various straps???

speaking of contraptions - does anyone have thoughts/opinions about the various Bullworker products? From their bow thingamabob tp their various straps???
Their straps are nothing you cannot improvise more or less with a belt.

The original Bullworker is what got me into systematic exercise at the age of 9, made me very strong for my size. I bought one in early ‘20 mostly out of nostalgia but also to try it out from current perspective. The modern version has swappable springs that are a big improvement.

For the totally detrained, the young and the elderly it is a viable training tool. One could even use it for only upper body and get good or great results, probably not by following the provided programming and exercises. You can do a lot with it. For lower body they would need to make a 5 or 6 foot version.

It has a few flaws, namely that tension increases as the muscle shortens, and almost none at long muscle length. But it maybe makes up for this by generating isotonic resistance for about 2/3 of average ROM. If the length were more adjustable somehow it would be much improved.

Because I own it, I use it for training obliques. I could use it for more of my upper body but prefer my purpose built set-up quite a bit more. All in all I can recommend it in above mentioned context, but for a serious athlete it is inadequate in several ways.

I was wondering if that book was useful without the DD new fangled device or not? I ask because I have no intentions of being their over priced gadget. Buying plywood and straps is more within my budget. If the book is dedicated to their machine I wonder. But versatile books are always within my budget...

If you can rig a crane scale, dynamometer, or other force measuring device to your setup then you should be able to do most of the routines in the book - any routine that is not built on the Timer Mode in the Isochain One thing I like about my Isochain is it will start beeping when my force output reaches a target level in Timer Mode or Load Mode - maybe one of those scale/dynamometer devices has a similar feature?

The purpose of the spring is to compensate for cortical inhibition - the block that the brain imposes on muscle force output when you try to move something that it knows is immovable, like pushing on a castle wall or something. The brain can be tricked into removing the block when it feels an object being moved. So that's what the spring is for. You could probably get a porch swing spring with 700lb capacity for under $20, then include that in your rig.

The book also has zero-equipment isometric exercises like pushing on the sides of a doorframe, self-resisting isometrics, etc. Also, a section on handstands, elbow levers, and other "bodyweight isos", with some programming tips.

The science parts of the book are also interesting reads, as there are 100s of footnote and citations of books, research papers, etc.

So, obviously, I'm a fan of Paul Wade's book.

Matt Schifferle has his own book called Overcoming Isometrics. I can't comment on it as I haven't gotten it yet. My main experience with his approach is via the free GSC and Microworkout routines featured on his Red Delta Project Youtube channel. For much of his stuff, isometrics serve as warmups before calisthenics exercise - usually using a strap , countertop, or the floor. Some of his Microworkouts have an isometric as the main exercise. I'll probably pick up his book at some point.

Last edited:
A few thoughts re cortical inhibition:

- use of strap or rope will reduce this, as they have some elastic properties that help with the initial pull. A very small amount is all that is needed.

- awareness and experience can help reduce or eliminate this as the system gets better at self-evaluation. Example, the sensation of your feet being pressed harder into your shoes or whatever give your floor has, your back or hips being pushed into whatever your padding for floor-based holds.

On longer holds, anything longer than a few seconds, try to slightly rock side to side or fore and aft to shift loading angles. This will keep the body aware of relative force production better than standing perfectly still, allow you to maintain higher levels of tension longer.

Regarding cortical inhibition, we found that progress was faster when force output was about 110 lbs. or greater, and slower when force output was under 110 lbs. It's because of the stock spring used for countering cortical inhibition. We can feel it stretch at around the 110 lb. force level.

So that's why some folks started experimenting with lighter load capacity porch swing springs. Some reported improved progress afterwards. I didn't experience this myself, in the shoulder press, because the replacement spring (700 lb. load capacity) that I got was too close in stiffness to the stock spring. The person who reported gains with the 700 lb spring was just stronger than me - strong enough to make the spring stretch in the shoulder press. Another person said he went with a 600lb spring and reported improved progress in shoulder press.

I did eventually bump up my overhead pressing strength by spending a couple of 6-8 week blocks on hypertrophy. The added muscle was then leveraged for higher force output. I also adjusted my shoulder press technique - straight body, tight butt, tight abs, locked out knees - which also contributed to greater force output.

I don't want to sound like I'm advertising something but as a matter of fact, there is a product under development that will use a newer strap design intended to turn off cortical inhibition.

Last edited:
My personal opinion, I wouldn’t overthink cortical inhibition. Isometrics are actually known for reducing cortical inhibition of motor unit recruitment. Familiarity and in-use “recalibration” are enough to turn this into background noise. In-use recal is as easy as shifting around, leaning into or away from line of force, if you have a partner they can gently press against your line of tension.
The body when applying against an immobile resistance, sort of goes to sleep in the absence of feedback after a few seconds - loses its reference point, a little bit of wake up goes a long way.

In my case, between the flex in the plywood, the give in the cargo strapping, leaning a few degrees fore and aft etc its a pretty minor consideration. The most important thing is to do it. It takes a couple weeks to adapt to this type of exertion, and then another couple months to really gel.

The greatest improvements to my isometric force output was actually from examining my technique and improving it over time. "Technique" would include body alignment, knowing what muscles to concentrate on, breath control, ramping up force vs. jerking into force, etc.

The shoulder press I already posted about. The Zercher Lunge had the additional challenges of balance and mobility (working at the low angle). Drag Curl I just never did before and it took a while to find an angle that I liked - first angle I tried turned out to be too high, because the biceps were too shortened for example.

Seated Row was more about overcoming my fear of re-injury to my back. I'd previously hurt my back on a bad deadlift, and was diagnosed with herniated disc. When I started with isometrics, I re-tweaked the back by attempting the deadlift at too low an angle. I also tweaked it later when I tried bent-over row. So, even though I had an intellectual understanding that the seated row is safer for the back than bent-over row, fear definitely put a lower ceiling on my force output. The force gradually went up as my confidence gradually went up.

Hack Deadlift was one of the few exercises where progress just went up and up - probably because of the low skill requirement compared to the other exercises, and ability to generate well over 110 lbs. of force right off the bat.

Last edited:
The greatest improvements to my isometric force output was actually from examining my technique and improving it over time.
I recall vividly the first month or so. Some holds took right off, others actually generated some nerve pain. That’s when I realized just how much more force I was training with compared to what I was used to. My shoulders esp feel very different now.

And then there is the alien feel of isometrics if one is used to full ROM resistance, it feels almost useless and doesn’t even generate a good pump.

To anyone getting into this, give it a good 6-8 weeks, make changes to pulls that don’t feel productive. There are reasons why so few people can speak in-depth on this subject.

Oh yeah after my first session in the Promethean program, I had serious DOMS the following day - pretty much my entire posterior chain from the deadlift and my forearms. I was coming off shoulder injury so I wasn't able to shoulder press with much force, and thus was spared the so-called "virgin DOMS" in those areas. My body was simply not used to max effort isometric force.

Paul Wade's book does recommend 5 min. of cooldown after an isometric session. I did the recommended alternating light static stretches and joint mobility/shaking drills for 5 total min. after that first-ever session - and still got those crazy DOMS the next day.

My bicep curl technique was not good at all. Within a couple of weeks, the bad technique combined with pre-existing overuse led to elbow tendonitis.

Red Delta Project's isometric videos helped me correct my technical issues and prevent repeat injury to the elbows.

Oh, and whether or not muscle-building is a priority, practicing holds of 20s or longer really helps develop "breathing behind the shield". You do NOT want to hold your breath doing this stuff - "No Bueno!" as one beloved coach here likes to say. Getting used to sustaining force while breathing is key.

Last edited:
@cwheeler33

A quote from Pavel on DD ‘04 re Bogdasarov's routine.

“Com. John, I have it somewhere but it would not be easy to dig up. There is nothing special about the exercises themselves, othewise I would have listed them in the article.”

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom