all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Joint and bone integrity - strange Stuart McGill quote about training strength more than once a week

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GreenSoup

Level 6 Valued Member
Is Stuart McGill against training strength multiple times a week for bone health? If so, would there be a different timeline for maximum connective tissue growth support? Strongfirst encourages frequent training so I'd like to hear opinions on this excerpt of a McGill interview:

Renowned Spine Expert Dr. Stuart McGill's Best Advice to Beat Your Back Pain
A bodybuilder whose goal it is to hypertrophy the muscle probably trains that muscle three times a week. But you get into trouble when you take that philosophy into powerlifting. Look at the great powerlifters, the guys who who are just so strong. They will train heavy deadlifts once per week. And the average keyboard warrior would say that's being undertrained. Not realizing that when you stimulate bone, when you stress a bit, that creates a piezo electric charge. So the piezo electric charge is largest where the stress concentration is. This attracts the charged ions of calcium and magnesium, and it bonds them on to that bone. This is how the body knows to build bone where it needs it. But those bonds are delicate for three or four days. If you leave them there for three or four days, they really scaffold in more calcium and magnesium. So the next time you heavy deadlift, they don't break off. But that's five days away. If you deadlift Monday, Wednesday, Friday, like so many newbies do, they don't realize that they are stimulating the piezo electric charge in the bone remodeling, but they're not allowing it to stick. In fact, they may actually break bonds.

Since I have had soft tissue injuries I love the idea of healing those up and having a timeline for what effectively heals and prevents such injuries. A stronger skeleton is also a fantastic idea. Are there specific strength training schedules or programs that prioritize connective tissue integrity or skeletal integrity?

Is Stuart McGill against training strength multiple times a week for bone health? If so, would there be a different timeline for maximum connective tissue growth support? Strongfirst encourages frequent training so I'd like to hear opinions on this excerpt of a McGill interview:

Since I have had soft tissue injuries I love the idea of healing those up and having a timeline for what effectively heals and prevents such injuries. A stronger skeleton is also a fantastic idea. Are there specific strength training schedules or programs that prioritize connective tissue integrity or skeletal integrity?
He's not a fan of heavy Dl.'s more than once a week.
You could jump rope.

I think what he's getting at is the continuum of training. By definition, powerlifting itself is pushing against your structural limits in an extreme manner.

We should keep in mind that he works with elite athletes. It would probably depend on experience. A beginner can tolerate and recover from higher frequency. Even intermediates may not be able to tolerate and recover if they have normal busy lives and are older. I learned to deadlift with PTTP high frequency program each year during an early winter season that was low stress at work. Now, even only intermediate, I couldn't tolerate that anymore and can make progress once a week.

McGill’s comments are for powerlifters.

My DL is a little over 2x BW, but still < 500 lbs, which for my frame size makes it a nothingburger.

My last DEXA scan put me in the 99th percentile for bone density vs 30 year olds and I’m 52.

Put the two together and I’m not worried.

Common-sense tells us that frequency is only one variable that needs to be considered along with intensity and volume when we talk about risk of overtraining or acute injury. I’ve trained deadlift seven days (Justa Singles) and five days (PTTP) weekly for long periods without injury but the intensity and volume of those programs are carefully selected for their higher frequency. With Justa Singles you workout every day but your average intensity is 75% of your 1RM and your average reps per day is 9. With PTTP you workout five days weekly with average intensity of your top set ~80% of your 1RM and your average reps (over the week) 7 per day (but half of those are 90% of your top set). My point is that recovery is in-built to each program matched to the frequency.

Prolozone is a technique that combines the principles of neural therapy, Prolotherapy, and ozone therapy. It involves injecting combinations of procaine, anti-inflammatory medications, homeopathics, vitamins, minerals, proliferatives, and ozone/oxygen gas into degenerated or injured joints, and into areas of pain. This article reviews the nature of what medical grade ozone is, how it works in biological systems, and how it can be used to regenerate joints and other damaged tissues, and to alleviate pain. Three case studies are presented.

If I was really going to push the envelope, rather than dabbling in Prolozone, I'd just go straight to MK-677,MK-2866, or other SARMs / peptides, which are actually proven to be highly effective.

[Of course, who knows what they'll do to you long term, but that's why I don't really push the envelope and thus don't need to do that.]

Last edited:
If I was really going to push the envelope, rather than dabbling in Prolozone, I'd just go straight to MK-677,MK-2866, or other SARMs / peptides, which are actually proven to be highly effective.

[Of course, who knows what they'll do to you long term, but that's why I don't really push the envelope and thus don't need to do that.]
To each their own, of course, but for those of a biochemical bent I simply pass this along as an exercise for the reader: Medical ozone therapy as a potential treatment modality for regeneration of damaged articular cartilage in osteoarthritis - PubMed

Thank you for all the comments, and also the personal testimonials that sometimes the gurus are not always right.

@Denys Carthusian - I will look forward to reading "Gift of Injury." Not that I am a powerlifter but it will be valuable to see what they specifically used to achieve an effective return to his impressive physical feats. Perhaps the book will specify exactly what was fine for hypertrophy multiple times a week but not for powerlifting strength. Specifics of volume and intensity matter!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom