all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB swings with Mortons toe

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abishai

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all,
I'm new here.
Im wondering if anyone has experience with KB swings with Mortons toe.(Mortons toe is when your second and third toes arre longer than your thumb toe)
Im having trouble screwing my feet ito the ground leading to less balance.
Thanks

Hi all,
I'm new here.
Im wondering if anyone has experience with KB swings with Mortons toe.(Mortons toe is when your second and third toes arre longer than your thumb toe)
Thanks
First off welcome!
Secondly, I lost one of my big toes to frostbite. KB swings or anything else for that matter is absolutely ZERO issue…

thanks for the welcome!
its not really the big toe for me.
Morton’s Toe causes hypermobility of the first metatarsal. The end result is that your first metatarsal bone has too much motion and is not as stable as it should be.

Hi all,
I'm new here.
Thanks
Welcome!

It took me some time to get used to it, but it was more a matter of strength than anything else.

Just try to stay balanced over your feet throughout the swing, front to back and side to side, with as little weight shifting as possible. No screwing necessary.

Not only does staying balanced provide stability, but it also tends to take care of a lot of timing issues that many people have when learning the swing; it forces the rest of your body to figure things out.

First off welcome!
Secondly, I lost one of my big toes to frostbite. KB swings or anything else for that matter is absolutely ZERO issue…
So I guess if you didn't have Morton's toe before...you do now ;-)

Edit: Actually, upon doing a little quick googling, it turns out my little joke toward @offwidth is off target. Morton's toe is generally not due to a shorter big toe or longer second toe. It's due to a relatively shorter first metatarsal/longer second metatarsal, which causes the second toe to stick out further.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm new here.
Thanks
My SFG noticed I was losing the arch on my left foot. As a drill he had me hold an exercise band under both big toes while doing swings. Forces you to keep pressure under your big toe otherwise you'll lose the band.
I later realized my issue was Morton's toe. When I walk or run my second toe is dominant on push off. Effects my running more than anything.
I found some basic toe/foot mobility and drills helped. If anything improved awareness.

My SFG noticed I was losing the arch on my left foot. As a drill he had me hold an exercise band under both big toes while doing swings. Forces you to keep pressure under your big toe otherwise you'll lose the band.
I later realized my issue was Morton's toe. When I walk or run my second toe is dominant on push off. Effects my running more than anything.
I found some basic toe/foot mobility and drills helped. If anything improved awareness.

Thanks!
yea totally sucks for running. kills mine too
any succes with a toe pad?

I have Morton's toe and can't quite say that I ever felt it influenced my swings or my training in general. I did do a lot of intrinsic foot muscle exercises in the past and have been wearing minimalist, wide toe box shoes, for years though. So I guess that might have helped since @Ian CL mentions it also.

True that.
it also depends how bad you have it.
I have a pretty bad case (second and third toes are much longer )

Yeah, mine might not be as bad. Besides my kids making fun of me and my sister in law thinking I have ugly feet, the only problem I've had with it was finding shoes/boots that fit well.

First off welcome!
Okay my vertical brother - which alpine monster took your toe? If it ain't the Eiger, anything in the Ruth Gorge or the Canadian Rockies . . . dang. I love every single one of your posts. I bet you send better without the extra deadweight . . . ;-)

I made my own from cutting a bunch of. dollar store insoles.
Tread Labs makes one but I dont know much about it

I'll give it a shot. What type of pad are you using?
if you make your own you will have to play around with the thickness.
its not exact science and it depends on how bad your mortons toe is (how big the discrepency is)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom