all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

Thank you, JPCross.

According to Prof. McGill, in many rowers there is an unacceptable degree of spinal flexion for which they pay later.
Thank you for the insight; that is an aspect I had not previously considered. I can certainly see this being the case for a few populations - those picking up rowing later in life where the time and effort to learn the technique may be neglected for getting into the actual training, or for those who exclusively row while neglecting strength work. I've gotten into rowing a bit later in life but really made it a point to learn the actual stroke mechanics before embarking too far down the performance side of things. I've also prioritized a lot of KB Swings along with some pullups in my strength work and its seemed to help thus far. It's something to keep in mind moving forward though now that you've mentioned it - thank you!

How do we do Kettlebell Presses Axe style?
I would say: Iron Cardio style:
Basic: Timeless sets of 1 with a 5 RM bell, either for time (20-40 minutes, e.g.) or reps (15-60, e.g.).
Variations: Weight ladders, rep ladders (1-2 or 1-2-3).
If using squats: Include Travelling 2 here and there.
Vary the intensity and volume (or session length) evry time.

And @Harald Motz also does stuff like singles OTM for up to 60 minutes. Check his instagram channel for inspiration.

Base for GPP is aerobic training (constant Z2) and traditionnal (pure) strength training. AXE does neither. More exactly, not enough endurance and not enough strength development for GPP.
However, it can be an interesting additional tool, but surely not in the top 3 of GPP best protocols.

Which three are the best?

AXE isn't power training. No olympic weighlifter or sprinter (the two most powerful athlete types) train like that.
Not sure if you have read AXE.

Here is a shortened version on the benefits of AXE type training: The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst
In essence, as a standalone programming style it very minimalist all-around training, managing conflicting demands elegantly.

AXE is indeed power training. Sure, sprinting and olympic weight lifting might be more "pure" (max power if you will), but power training covers a range on a continuum (as shown in AXE):

Although max power is generally displayed at 30–50% of max strength[34], the Soviets did power exercises in a much wider 30–90% one-rep max range. The resistance was chosen based on the force-velocity curve placement of the given sport, e.g., 30–50% in boxing, tennis, and fencing, 70–90% in throwing and wrestling. (...)
While power training proper typically demands that you give every rep your all, AXE does not. According to Selouyanov, an 80% effort is enough.

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Axe: High Speed, Low Drag Alternative to HIIT (English Edition) (S.37). Kindle-Version.

GPP is defined in Easy Strength (looking forward to ES 2.0). Here is an short excerpt from an Ozolin quote:
"Hence general endurance, general strength, general joint mobility, general coordination, general psychological preparedness." (Ozolin)

John, Dan. Easy Strength: How to Get a Lot Stronger Than Your Competition-And Dominate in Your Sport (English Edition) (S.32). DD Publications. Kindle-Version.
S&S does all of that. AXE with only Swings does not, IMO, while AXE (KBSF) with LCCJ does. But you can always add some missing links. Adding some goblet squats, TGUs and endurance exercise (as recommended in AXE) would make your routine more GPP.

Not sure if you have read AXE.

Here is a shortened version on the benefits of AXE type training: The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst
In essence, as a standalone programming style it very minimalist all-around training, managing conflicting demands elegantly.

AXE is indeed power training. Sure, sprinting and olympic weight lifting might be more "pure" (max power if you will), but power training covers a range on a continuum (as shown in AXE):

GPP is defined in Easy Strength (looking forward to ES 2.0). Here is an short excerpt from an Ozolin quote:

S&S does all of that. AXE with only Swings does not, IMO, while AXE (KBSF) with LCCJ does. But you can always add some missing links. Adding some goblet squats, TGUs and endurance exercise (as recommended in AXE) would make your routine more GPP.
Thanks .Apart from axe swings which rep scheme would you recommend then for kettlebell military presses if you aim for gpp?

Back
Top Bottom