all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Long Cycle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You need to work on your rack position. Your elbows should be resting on your hips. You're currently holding the bells in the rack using your arms, which is fine with 16s, but with 24s or above you will tire fast.

When the elbows are stacked on the hips all the power from your dip and drive will be delivered straight up through your hips and your elbows into the bell.

It takes a lot of flexibility and will bruise your hips for a while. You will notice some GS competitors use a belt and will rest their elbows on it.

Impressive set, @King Cobra Fit ! I read Steve M's book yesterday "Classical Kettlebell Lifting" and was quite impressed, both with the book and by what it takes to do this. You've provided a great example to go along with what I learned.

The book is great, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend getting a copy (link in @Physical Culture signature). I read through it completely within a couple of hours. Easy to read (but not over simplified at all) with just the right amount of engagement, extremely well put together, accomplishes its stated purpose precisely. If I had to sum it up in one word, "clarity" about kettlebell lifting, the effects of different styles and lifts, and how to go about it. I will try to write up a proper book review when I get a chance. Anyway, keep at it, looks like you're doing great towards your competition.

@aussieluke thanks for that feed back. It rack is something I'm currently working on. So different from hard style (@Rayhzel thats for sure is the sport rack and not the hard style rack)
@Anna C i actually bought @Physical Culture s book a few months ago and I agree with your review. It is a really well put together GS sport book for sure. I am still very new to GS so having a clear reference has been super handy.
Thanks for the feed back. Keep it coming.

Ok here is this weeks 10 min TALC. working on the rack, still need to think about it but it's coming along. Grip was my biggest issue today. from minute 3 to minute 9 my brain was screaming "put it down! you can't do it!, there's no shame in quitting!" and to be honest, i almost did a few times, but i fought through. this was a tough one. the failing grip really shows in the lock out of the left hand (did lots of bottoms up work this week....i guess it adds up haha)
Will post an earlier vid to see the difference a few months of practice will make.

here's a vid from a few months ago while i was sailing. can really see a difference in tech in a few short months and let me tell you. any sea state makes it soooooo much harder haha

just under a week out from the competition and feeling great. Here's a video of my last "practice comp". was planning on taking it easy and shooting for 70-80 reps and ended up settling into a good pace and hit 94! My goal is 100+ next Saturday. wish me luck

Your rack position looks better here. Don't worry about getting it "perfect." It's funny but as the weight gets heavier it almost forces you into better technique. I have a comp a week from Saturday and I'm going to try 2x24. Even this is a bit ambitious. Good thing it is a BOLT meet and I can set the KBs down and rest. Good luck at your meet. Long cycle is brutal even with 2x16. Much respect if you get 100+ and I'm sure you will.

@MikeTheBear thanks for your feed back. the rack as been focus of mine for a few weeks. this set was the first time I actually found "rest" in the rack. def a weird feeling haha. 2X24's is crazy, back when I was completely ignorant and inexperienced in GS (6 months ago ;) I signed up for the 24's.......practiced once with my 26's and went out and bough my 16's and changed my weight category haha. Best of luck to you at your meet! do you have a Rep goal?

@King Cobra Fit I have not been training like I should have (combination of stress at work, back pain, and plain laziness on my part) so my goal is a very modest 50-60 reps. This is for the plain old clean and jerk, not LC. I'm also doing snatch, and one-arm jerk, so 3 lifts total. BOLT has 6 events: double snatch, double C&J, double LC, and then single KB versions of snatch, C&J, and LC. This is for both men and women, and a competitor can sign up for one or do all 6. Doing all 6 is called the "BOLT Ironman." I've seen a guy do all 6 and it looked brutal. Very little rest between events. I'm sure GS purists would scoff at this but I think it's a fun format.

@MikeTheBear that does sound intense! 50-60 with double 24's is far from modest. best of luck to you. that does sound like a fun format (I'm not a purist haha can't wait till next week when I can shift gears and get back to ROP to prep for the SFG I) but in the words of Dan John "keep the goal the goal", 100+ reps 2X16 TALC.
will post the final video of the comp on Sunday!

Ok Nov 23 2015 was my first post on here about this and really my first step into the world of Kettlebell sport. its been six months and I just finished my first Long Cycle Competition set. My goal was 100 reps with 2 X 16 Kg bells and I got it. Won my category and got my rank 3 too (there were only two of us in my catagory haha) but I reached my goal. Here's my vid from this Saturday. Great event, well organized and a Great day! (Victoria Kettlebell Classic Canadian Nationals)
Thanks for all of the support here, def going to compete next year, but with 2 X 20!
More to Follow.

Ok Nov 23 2015 was my first post on here about this and really my first step into the world of Kettlebell sport. its been six months and I just finished my first Long Cycle Competition set. My goal was 100 reps with 2 X 16 Kg bells and I got it. Won my category and got my rank 3 too (there were only two of us in my catagory haha) but I reached my goal. Here's my vid from this Saturday. Great event, well organized and a Great day! (Victoria Kettlebell Classic Canadian Nationals)
Thanks for all of the support here, def going to compete next year, but with 2 X 20!
More to Follow.

Great job, King Cobra! Triple digits is a great result with any weight! You set a goal and reached it, which is a great accomplishment.

Impressive set, @King Cobra Fit ! I read Steve M's book yesterday "Classical Kettlebell Lifting" and was quite impressed, both with the book and by what it takes to do this. You've provided a great example to go along with what I learned.

The book is great, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend getting a copy (link in @Physical Culture signature). I read through it completely within a couple of hours. Easy to read (but not over simplified at all) with just the right amount of engagement, extremely well put together, accomplishes its stated purpose precisely. If I had to sum it up in one word, "clarity" about kettlebell lifting, the effects of different styles and lifts, and how to go about it. I will try to write up a proper book review when I get a chance. Anyway, keep at it, looks like you're doing great towards your competition.

Thanks, Anna! I appreciate your kind words. An Amazon review would be a great help, too!

You're welcome, Steve! Good suggestion; just submitted. I'm honored to be the first one to review it on Amazon. :)

Thanks very much @Physical Culture, My mantra for the training and for the comp was your words "breathe and relax". I think that was the biggest thing that I learnt around this whole endeavor. The power of the breathe....Once I was able to find a little rest in the rack position that is haha. But thanks again for your suggestions and guidance.
Even now, i'll be at home and let out a big sigh just try and bring a bit more relaxation in to my life. My girlfriend is still adjusting to is (it sounds very similar to the sound one makes when upset haha)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom