all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Agreed! The program starts off very reasonably in Phase 1. This allows you to build your strength. In Phase 2, the sets/reps become progressively more challenging as each week goes by.

When selecting bells for Strong!, select the bells that you can do for 4-5 reps. For you, your 5 reps with 2x24k bells means those are the bells you should use for Strong!.
Done! Looking forward to starting in a couple weeks.

Week 11 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is over!

This was a good week. The sets of 6 on the heavy day felt really good and went up better than last week's heavy day.

I am very happy with my progress.
When you say heavy day, what do you mean? You are using the same bells every workout aren’t you ?

Not bad, but I did ease into it for about 3 weeks slowly increasing my fasting window. . The other thing that helped me was I also did a 36 hour fast as well and then started my OMAD. Mood and energy wise no problems for me but it can be tough with the family etc. who are not on the diet so I have started to allow myself a couple of cheat days a week where I will do a 16/8 fasting window. Its empowering to know that you dont have to constantly eat.
Wow .. that's amazing. I did find it very difficult to start things of and now I do feel very comfortable without any adverse impacts. Most days of the week I eat before 9pm and the next meal is around 1pm the next day, so that's roughly 16 hrs. As soon as I wake up I have warm water and lemon. And after an hour or so have black coffee with a teaspoon full of coconut oil. That keeps my hunger at bay .. easily up to 1pm .. and sometimes even until 2 to 3pm. I do give myself one cheat day, when I eat whatever I want but within the eating window. And on Sunday I try to stretch the fasting window to the max. Attempt is to do it full day but last weekend I had to give in as there were a few things happening in life ! On Sunday I do have some amount of BCAAs during the day. And on days I workout I have my protein only in the eating window.

What's your training schedule - do you do 3 days/week or 6 days? Curious about it because you are focusing on fat loss and wondering how much recovery played a role in that !

When you say heavy day, what do you mean? You are using the same bells every workout aren’t you ?
Yes, I am using the same bells for every workout. (2x24k bells)

Sorry for my vague word choice. I am trying not to post the exact reps and sets when I write. I don't want to accidentally give away Geoff Neupert's program to someone who is lurking in the posts trying to save a few dollars and not purchase Strong.

Wow .. that's amazing. I did find it very difficult to start things of and now I do feel very comfortable without any adverse impacts. Most days of the week I eat before 9pm and the next meal is around 1pm the next day, so that's roughly 16 hrs. As soon as I wake up I have warm water and lemon. And after an hour or so have black coffee with a teaspoon full of coconut oil. That keeps my hunger at bay .. easily up to 1pm .. and sometimes even until 2 to 3pm. I do give myself one cheat day, when I eat whatever I want but within the eating window. And on Sunday I try to stretch the fasting window to the max. Attempt is to do it full day but last weekend I had to give in as there were a few things happening in life ! On Sunday I do have some amount of BCAAs during the day. And on days I workout I have my protein only in the eating window.

What's your training schedule - do you do 3 days/week or 6 days? Curious about it because you are focusing on fat loss and wondering how much recovery played a role in that !
Yes, my schedule is mostly 3 days a week with Saturday and Sunday off. I also shoot Archery and on days where I have shot a bunch of arrows I add an day before my next Strong workout. One thing I found is that after you have taken the plunge and done a 36 hour fast OMAD is very doable. I have been religious about no sugar and cutting back my carbs. As I mentioned my strength is increasing with Strong , my body composition is much better than it was and I have been able to stop taking my blood pressure medicine!

Incidentally, my run through Strong this time around has ended.

The usual results. Pants still fit and shirts tighter. My resting pulse dropped.....was 42 this a.m.!

As to strength increases I gained some for sure. I started with double 36s being a 5RM with good form, meaning I could have gotten probably 7 but those next two reps would have been ugly and not appropriate!

After phase 1 I did a rep max test and got 7 good ones and I admit it now ...
three more poorer reps with scooping the cleans on the last two.

After the slow and steady I got 9 good reps with a tenth that had a little too much sway/body English....this admittedly started in the 9th rep but it wasn't terribly pronounced.

I'm quite happy with it. I wanted 10 or more "good reps" but this a win for sure! I'm older and tried not to eat to excess like I did in 2015 going through this with the 36s.

Just follow Geoff's programs as written and they deliver!

Last edited:
Great! Make sure you check in here and update us on your progress.

You're gonna love Strong!
Will do! Taking a much-needed couple of weeks off after finishing up The Wolf. Then diving into Strong.

Do you (or anyone) recommend doing just "The Strong" program or running through The Strong, Short Corse, Slow and Steady, and The One Program?

Yes, I am using the same bells for every workout. (2x24k bells)

Sorry for my vague word choice. I am trying not to post the exact reps and sets when I write. I don't want to accidentally give away Geoff Neupert's program to someone who is lurking in the posts trying to save a few dollars and not purchase Strong.
Ok cheers, I’ve seen others mention heavy days and wasn’t sure. Ah, yes i understand mate.

Incidentally, my run through Strong this time around has ended.

The usual results. Pants still fit and shirts tighter. My resting pulse dropped.....was 42 this a.m.!

As to strength increases I gained some for sure. I started with double 36s being a 5RM with good form, meaning I could have gotten probably 7 but those next two reps would have been ugly and not appropriate!

After phase 1 I did a rep max test and got 7 good ones and I admit it now ...
three more poorer reps with scooping the cleans on the last two.

After the slow and steady I got 9 good reps with a tenth that had a little too much sway/body English....this admittedly started in the 9th rep but it wasn't terribly pronounced.

I'm quite happy with it. I wanted 10 or more "good reps" but this a win for sure! I'm older and tried not to eat to excess like I did in 2015 going through this with the 36s.

Just follow Geoff's programs as written and they deliver!
You are both an inspiration AND my hero!!!

Nice work!

Well well well my old friend elbow tendinitis has paid a visit !. Not terrible, it occasionally comes back and says hi. I’m up to the rep max at the end of phase 1. I was hoping to do it Wednesday but I’ll push it back to the weekend. I’m the meantime I’ll be foam rolling and digging around on my elbow. It’s such a pain !

Well well well my old friend elbow tendinitis has paid a visit !. Not terrible, it occasionally comes back and says hi. I’m up to the rep max at the end of phase 1. I was hoping to do it Wednesday but I’ll push it back to the weekend. I’m the meantime I’ll be foam rolling and digging around on my elbow. It’s such a pain !
Excessive pull ups do that to me.

This happens to me as well. Especially when I am KB Strong. I think the volume of heavy cleans exposes some of my technique flaws. I realised that I wasn't using more of the hips and probably was pulling the bells more. So I stopped for a while and tweaked my technique, but can't say for sure if it has solved because I will start KB Strong again after the ROP Jurassic program I am on. 3 more workouts left for that ! 3 more tough workouts :D

So maybe revisit your clean and check if you are using enough of your hip drive to get the bells up rather than pulling. Also check where you are holding the KB handle and how 'your' KB rests on 'your' hand.

This happens to me as well. Especially when I am KB Strong. I think the volume of heavy cleans exposes some of my technique flaws. I realised that I wasn't using more of the hips and probably was pulling the bells more. So I stopped for a while and tweaked my technique, but can't say for sure if it has solved because I will start KB Strong again after the ROP Jurassic program I am on. 3 more workouts left for that ! 3 more tough workouts :D

So maybe revisit your clean and check if you are using enough of your hip drive to get the bells up rather than pulling. Also check where you are holding the KB handle and how 'your' KB rests on 'your' hand.
It’s something that just comes back occasionally. I work with my hands so it’s part of the deal haha. It’s not terribly bad but I just need to let it calm down and I’ll be ok.

Though Ive done every exercise/rehab known to man and really only dry needling helps it quickly. The rubber bar that you twist seems to do nothing. Once it goes I’m fine for a few months. Sometimes it’s there but so minor I can work around it.

I’ve been doing C&P for months and I have to say it hasn’t bothered me til this week so I’m not sure it’s the C&P, I may have aggravated it at work.

Week 12 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is history!

This was a busy week. Over the weekend I got my Advanced Open Water Diver and EANx certifications. I dove Mermet Springs in Southern Illinois. Very cool dive site. They have a submerged 727 to explore. They have these underwater speakers for diver alerts. They play music through the speakers. So cool!! I don't think I can dive without music again!

The sets of 6 went up very well today. I really concentrated on my form and pushing through the floor during the press.

4 weeks to go in Phase 2. Bring on week 13!!

Back
Top Bottom