all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

@Halfakneecap have you considered adding this in if you are doing Strong 2x a week? Build a Base of Strength with the 5RM Kettlebell Front Squat Program | StrongFirst Seems like it could work for you, depended on you equipment.
I like the fact that it’s one day a week. I will try Strong 3 x a week, however, when the volume picks up towards the end of phase 2, if I’m struggling to recover, I’ll switch to 2 x a week and add this in. I’d start very light, and just get used to squatting regularly again.

Cheers mate

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your progress in Phase 2.

The lifts for me have been challenging but not impossible.
So far that’s I’m feeling though I’m still in the early, lower volume stage. I’ll try it, and if I struggle when the volume gets high, I can drop back.

Still dealing with golfers elbow a little bit. A pain in the arse, more than painful. Physio is ok with C&P’ing though, and it doesn’t seem to aggravate it, it’s just there.

Just finished the rep-max test at end of Phase 1 with 40's:

10ish weeks ago (I was only doing it 2x per week for first few weeks): 4-reps with the last one being a REAL grind with my left (weaker) side
Today: 5-reps with the last one being not quite as much of a grind on left side is 4th was 10 weeks ago.

I have a single 44 (which would be 1/2 my bodyweight if I weighed what I am supposed to..... at the moment I'm close to 95kg), so tried one-arm presses with that. Not too much trouble with the right hand but doubt I could have gotten a second. Not able to do a single rep with the left. I've never tried this before with either hand so have nothing to compare this to, though I'd never bothered to try it for a reason, I guess.

Having read the following article yesterday doesn't adjusting the accessory volume on a given day fall into 'intuitive' programming trap 4?

4. Not doing the math

Or have I misinterpreted the advice?

Given the accessory exercises are not part of the Kettlebell Strong program I wouldn't lose sleep or over analyse it. The focus of the program is the double clean and press which I assume people are following to the letter. The other stuff are generally things that need/want to be maintained while you do it. I squat because I don't want horrendous DOMS when I inevitably do squat again on another program.

Given the accessory exercises are not part of the Kettlebell Strong program I wouldn't lose sleep or over analyse it. The focus of the program is the double clean and press which I assume people are following to the letter. The other stuff are generally things that need/want to be maintained while you do it. I squat because I don't want horrendous DOMS when I inevitably do squat again on another program.
OK, but hopefully you get my point about losing the programmed variability or waviness and impacting the main objective.

Going on Week 3 of Strong and it's starting to ramp up. I've been enjoying the pace of the program so far. I can already start to feel myself getting used to the weight not so much that it's getting lighter or easier. Just getting used to it.
Nice work!! I like your characterization of getting used to the weight! I attribute better technique (as I progressed in the program) for me getting used to the weight.

For me the 'getting used to' thing is the heavy double cleans! The heavier you go using cast iron bells, the wider your stance and the more cumbersome they are.
The wider stance as the weight goes up is something I have never thought about.

Not a problem if you're like me and use bad form from the getgo with way too wide of a stance.

85055055.jpg

Today was the last day of Phase 2!! All that is left is test day on Friday.

I am using the 2x24k bells for Strong. I got 10 reps of 2x24k and 2 of 2x28k bells at the end of Phase 1. I want to run the Giant with 2x28k bells after New Year.

I decided that I am going test my rep max with 2x28k bells and see how I do.

Wish me luck!!

I am using the 2x24k bells for Strong. I got 10 reps of 2x24k and 2 of 2x28k bells at the end of Phase 1. I want to run the Giant with 2x28k bells after New Year.

Wish me luck!!
I think you’ll smash it! Just pick the variant of Giant that suits the reps you get. I could only get a few reps, so I did 3.0 as it has the least volume and was stunned at the end of the month at how many more reps I could handle.

Wish me luck!!
Great work! Let us know how it goes.

Nice work!! I like your characterization of getting used to the weight! I attribute better technique (as I progressed in the program) for me getting used to the weight.
I think the (many) benefits of the program aside from getting stronger is the rep structure allows you to own every rep. Which allows you to focus on form/technique. I believe Geoff mentions this in the book as well.

When I think back to a few weeks ago when I was running a DBL KB complex. I had focus on form/technique, but I was also getting distracted towards the end of one exercise thinking about the next one.

Back
Top Bottom