all posts post new thread

Barbell Knee Sleeves vs. Knee Wraps - observations/preference?

I have zero experience, but wanted to add on a question. Is there supposed to be any benefit to either if you DON’T have dodgy knees? I understand what a belt can do for you, but I always saw knee wraps/sleeves as a help for those with bad knees and/or to help prevent knee problems, I had no idea they supposedly aid in lifting more. Is that actually the goal with them?

Yes, it's also for performance.

It's rare to see Olympic weightlifters competing without sleeves or wraps.

There is a school of super tight knee wraps that believes it improves performance due to increased elastic effects from higher pressure.

So… what kind of straps does everyone prefer? I’ve got the traditional iron mind ones and some Olympic style ones. I tend to like the Olympic ones since they are quicker to get on and off the bar.

:p

It has already been said a few times even in this chain that they are allowed in competition. I can read. There are also restrictions to the thickness and size of sleeves to limit the advantage. I have witnessed usage and I have been given estimation of the help by users, even talked with the gym buddies about subject many times. This could be interpreted as an observation of usage.

As I understand, "I find it cheating" should mean that my opinion is that...
No offense, but "Is it cheating or not?...." wasn't really the point of the thread at all.

Let’s please be civil with each other.

There is another choice not yet mentioned: if the only way you can squat more weight is with sleeves or wraps, squat using only what your knees can handle.

I feel like we’re going around in circles. One could argue I should deadlift only in DL slippers because my shoes might be helping me lift more weight and I’d agree with you. I think it’s fair to say that all of us are lifting somewhere on a continuum where one end is being naked and the other end is standing inside a coiled metal spring. Just choose whatever you like and let everyone else do the same.

Knee wraps and knee sleeves exist in a continuum, too. Loose sleeves, tight sleeves, loose wraps, tight wraps, old wraps versus new sleeves, warm knees or cold knees, more even loading across the entire lift or not, 20 kg bar or 25 kg squat-specific bar, safety squat bar, etc.

-S-

Yeah. My original statement was in the sense of "sumo is cheating". But since I was asked a multi-part question, I tried to answer. To compare it to sling-shot training... my point exactly.

Most people seem to realize that it's lifting "raw" in a raw meet and accept it. I just happen to prefer traditional raw meet. How is it away from you?

So… what kind of straps does everyone prefer? I’ve got the traditional iron mind ones and some Olympic style ones. I tend to like the Olympic ones since they are quicker to get on and off the bar.

:p

I use leather Eleiko loop style.

eleiko-pulling-straps-leather-04-2000px.jpg.jpeg

And I clearly haven't said anything else than that it's cheating. Not a word more.
I'm trying hard to keep it civil, Steve...

Dude, the thread that I posted was asking for input from people that used wraps and sleeves to comment on preferences/fit/brands. NOT soliciting opinions on whether they were "cheating" or not. You chose to give an opinion that wasn't germane to the post and people have called you on it, and now you continue to repeat yourself. It's kinda rude. Don't like sleeves or wraps? Fine, then scroll on.

Sleeves here.

I have a mini collection of sleeves, ranging from OG Rehband blues that are 10 years old now and pretty nasty to some fancy pants Eleiko sleeves.
Eleiko's were on sale - how do you like them?

The old school Tommy Kono (Rehband?) were very loved - everyone loved them even 20 years ago. I don't know how they compare to modern sleeves.

Been thinking of getting a bit of WH gear, since I appreciate the work they put into their channel. Nasar was wearing a new pair of WH sleeves at the EWC. Have not worn, so not an opinion, but an option.

I don't have knee wraps but in a session like today (squat first, then power snatch, power clean, press) I can see how they might be more convenient than sleeves. I ended up taking shoes off, knee sleeves off, then shoes back on in order to move from squats to power snatch.

I'm trying hard to keep it civil, Steve...

Dude, the thread that I posted was asking for input from people that used wraps and sleeves to comment on preferences/fit/brands. NOT soliciting opinions on whether they were "cheating" or not. You chose to give an opinion that wasn't germane to the post and people have called you on it, and now you continue to repeat yourself. It's kinda rude. Don't like sleeves or wraps? Fine, then scroll on.
Good. I also wrote a description on how I have used wraps for several years.

I purchased the SBD Knee Band in one size smaller.

It take a little effort to get them on. However, I get them on in less than 30 seconds.

The tight SBD Knee Sleeves allow me to possibly Squat around 10 lbs/5 kg more.
So, if you bought two sizes smaller you might get 10kg too, who knows. I've seen people put on sleeves with plastic bags.

I was actually talking of knee wrap tightness in the latter part that you have quoted my text.

I wouldn't say it's feasible in practice to use extremely tight sleeves, at least in the IPF. One is not allowed to use plastic bags or such and must be able put the sleeves on by themselves. The technical controller or a judge can ask the lifter to remove the sleeves and put them back on.

Of course, I haven't seen this happen in competition. I've also never seen people do any trickery to put sleeves on. I would bet that the handler of another lifter would be quick to point out any trickery to the TC so that another competitor doesn't get an unfair advantage.

Different federations have different rules. So it may be.
What federation were you competing in when you saw it?
I've watched training only. It may be only for convenience, and he maybe could be able to do it without plastic bag, come competition time.

One could also use tighter sleeves for training to maximize training stimulus, and use different sleeves in meet. There are many ways to operate.

Back
Top Bottom