all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

LarryB

Level 7 Valued Member
Hey ya’ll!

I’m 33, 6’0”, 220lbs busy father of three. Started my training on youtube/instagram university after i got into marathon training and was using it as xtraining. Ran a few marathons and got a 16 and 20k before lockdown. Around the end of 2020 i read simple and sinister and started practicing it. Needed a new bell soon and got a 24k. Mastered that again quickly and moved on to rop with the 20 and halfway through with the 24k before i succumbed to medial epicondylitis. I used that downtime to read q&d and have been rehabing/strengthening my tendons theough that for almost 2 months. I’m using all of the variability protocols and really loving it! On two of the off days i do lsd running in two 5 mile segments commuting to school and then work, sometimes i drill doubles work or strength aerobics. On Saturday ive been doing a long drawn out s&s practice since i plan to hit simple after my three months on q&d.

This weeks practice was:
Mon 4-12-21
5/4,10/2 hybrid snatches, 100 reps
Switched between my 20 and 24k each round, so ten on the left with the 20k followed by ten in the 24k and so on for all reps. This will apply to all my practice moving forward until i say otherwise (24/32 for swings). felt great, started using fragmented breathing really well.

tuesday: ran 10 miles total with a two hour break in between

wed: 10/2 snatches, 60 reps, 20/24k.

Thursday 4-15-21
This is supposed to be fridays practice but went to a waterpark with the kids so i moved it up a day and skipped my runs.
first time mixing in 2h swings into the rolls.
5/4 2 hand swings 100reps, 32k.

Waterpark was so fun! Sad to see so many obese Americans though, especially the kids. This is why I’m going to school to be a pe teacher! I plan to use the principles I’ve learned here and apply them to my students and change the course of our country! Strong body will enable a strong mind and spirit. You must be Strongfirst!

Last edited:
Today’s practice was my morning mobility warm up inspired by Pavel Macek, moving into s&s warm up.
No glute bridge
half kneeling halos, 24k. i overemphasize the glute when kneeling and returning to standing to get better form and activation.
3x5 32k prying goblet squat
10x10 swings
L/r32
L/r24
L/r 32
L/r24
L/r 32
5x1 tgu
L/r24
L/r32
L/r32
L/r24
L/r 20lb using shoulder rotations as described in bjj fanatics dvd. The cues and instructions really influenced my practices all week. Utilizing breathing practices in everything i do and tgu cues really helped today! Watching it slowly and over and over to get max benefit. Haven’t even fully made it through tgu section. Will post a couple of videos below.
32k swings, I admittedly usually train in my underwear...the bell and my fingers kept getting caught on these shorts. Following video should be more accurate of my current form.
32k swings with better shorts.
32k TGU

Last edited:
Today’s practice was meant for tomorrow but I adjusted due to a busy schedule.
Q&d Rolled 5/4, 10/2 hybrid, SAS & PU, 3 rounds/60 reps total. Messed up original plan on first set and adjusted.
R1 10/2@24k
10/2 PU
R2 10/2@32k
10/2 PU
R3 5/4@32k
5/4 PU

drilled power cleans with a long hold and a slow press with the 32k at the end cuz i was feeling a bit amped up and just had to scratch the itch!

Last edited:
Skipped my lsd run due to lack of sleep (finals weeks) and commuted to and from school on bike totaling 10 miles around 15mph.

Strength aerobics (clean+press+squat) with the 32, 16 rounds total. Focussing on creating more tension throughout the entire body.

Today’s practice:
5 mile lsd run followed by:
1.5 hour dance and rhythm class (I’m a pe major and taking a fundamentals of rhythms class, it’s actually pretty cool). Focused on ballet and progressed from barre, to floor to jumps/leaps.
5 mile bike share ride home.
Pretty easy overall but a little sore in the lower body.

Today’s practice:
2h swings@32k/ppu, 10/2, 4 rounds/80 reps
Great session! I love how 2h sessions open up new areas of focus and nuance. Today i decided to try and truly focus on locking out my posterior chain as hard as possible and feel like i had an aha moment!
got my first covid vaccine today as well (Pfizer).

Last edited:
Today’s Practice:
2 lsd runs totaling 10 miles in about 105 minutes. Rhythm and movement class between them. Learned the bachata. Post run mobility plus tgu.
L/R@24kx2
L/R@32k
L/R@9k bottoms up
L/R@20k w/presses
All of these were super slow and methodical.
Run was feeling amazing in the early miles and was maintaining a lower hr than usual. I then had to put on my teacher’s pants and break up a fight between two young men at a local Chicago high school’s soccer field. Totally ruined my my low hr and spiked my adrenaline but was proud of myself for successfully intervening and mediating!

Last edited:
Today’s practice:
Late night lift,
Wu:
Unilateral carries L/R x2 @20/24k
Overhead carries L/R x2 @20/24k
Gsq 3x5 @24k
Q&d 044, 5 round/100 reps, 10/2
Each round i started with the 24, but only did 8 reps instead of 10 to maintain power output, second set of the round is 10 reps @20k. So really only 90 reps.
finished with carries as well.
Was a little tough, felt a little off.

Today’s practice: S&S
Wu-carries
half kneeling halos @24, 3x4
Gsq @32, 3x5 (forgot to time), was reading about slow twitch hypertrophy training. Was trying to do my squats as slow as possible both eccentric and concentric.
Timeless swings
2h@32
L/R@32x10
Finished in around 11 minutes
Tgu
L/R@24
L/R@32x4
L/R@24
Finished in around 13 minutes
Carries

Went to the beach with the family and had a picnic dinner. Beautiful spring day here in Chicago!

Last edited:
Today’s practice:q&d 033, 5/4, 4 rounds/80 reps
Quick wu:
Carries
Half kneeling halos
Gsq
Went strictly with the 24 today. Yesterday was a bit heavy and @Don Fairbanks words were ringing in my ear all weekend about how much power i was actually creating with the 32. Likely not enough for q&d requirements. I felt fast and powerful on these. This program keeps teaching me new lessons. Last week on it for now so i think i will go with all of the lighter weights for the last week. S&s coming up next and timed simple about a month later!

Today’s practice: s&s, with marathon training looming i wanted to hop on s&s sooner rather than later. This cut my q&d cycle short but will return to it with marathon training.
wu:
3x5 gsq @32k in about 6 minutes
Swings:
10x10@32k in about 10 minutes
Tgu:
1x5 each side @32k in about 10 minutes

Timeless simple for the second time ever. First time i did it was with the ymca 32k and that baby felt light. My 32k is 5 pounds heavy, but better heavy than light. Does a 34k count as timeless solid? Lol,jk.

Today’s practice:
Mobility/stretching stuff. Followed along with the wifey’s peloton warmup routine and observed a lot of her class. Super cool seeing her use my older, lighter bells. She doesn’t like me to proffer my advice but actually got to help her do some half get ups with a dumbbell. I will slowly convert her to strongfirst....

After that we went for a 5 mile run together with my son and the dog. Picked up the pace a lot today as she doea not subscribe to lsd/led running, around a 9:40 pace.

Today’s practice:
S&S
Wu:
Half kneeling halos, 3x4 @
Gsq, 3x5 @32k
About ten minutes

swings:
L/R@32
L/R@24
L/R@32
L/R@24
L/R@32
EMOM about ten minutes
TGU:
L/R@32
L/R@24
L/R@32
L/R@24
L/R@32
EMOM about ten minutes
Felt good, energy in the tank for sure.

Today’s practice:
Off day/mobility/recovery
Getting into the “knees over toes guy” and “os resets”.
Decided to incorporate the os resets into my prek/k classroom and so far they are loving it. Going to begin and end every day with them. We always drill locomotor movements during recess and i give them other physical challenges as well.
Charging up for a heavy lifting weekend. Will likely do an easy 2 hand day tomorrow if i can squeeze it in.

Another off/easy day. More OS resets in the classroom (i teach a pre k/kindergarten class at a private school) also introduced hindu squats and pushups to our movements. Started reading naked warrior, i think this will compliment marathon training well. Applying gtg with oapu and pistols should fit in nicely with the running schedule and not force me to set aside even more time to train. I have an athletic 3rd grader who comes to the after school program i run and i worked on his pushups with him. Very coachable young man, exciting.

Today’s practice: 2mile walk/jog with the kids on their bikes. Went to the playground and played with them there as well.
Long drawn out s&s session due yo phone calls and children.
Wu: 3x4 half kneeling halos@24k
3x5 gsq@42k
about 10 minites

swings:
L/R @36k
L/R @36k
L/R @36k
L/R @32k
L/R @32k
L/R @32k
Added an extra set due to the long phone call i had. Was doubling up the 16 and 20k to get 36k swings. Somehow this felt easier than my 32, perhaps the center of gravity or weight distribution? Then i found my old ankle weights and that was working much better and equated the same weight. Especially good for the get ups.
tgu:
L/R @35k
L/R @36k
L/R @36k
L/R @35k
L/R @32k
Great session overall, the extra weight felt great.

Back
Top Bottom