all posts post new thread

Barbell LBSQ Critique

Back to training after a gap of couple of years. Here is a set of LBSQ (12 reps with 110lbs) for your critique. 12 reps because this is AMRAP set from GreysSkull LP program that I chose as a practice for now.
Your squat depth is questionable. A video straight from the side would help. It would be good to see your deep goblet squat.

-S-

It looks strong to me. Not a challenging weight for you. But, reps are inconsistent and like Steve said, depth is questionable on most reps.

I would work on your set up - make sure your chest is OUT and you are hitting a back double biceps pose and resting the bar on top of the delts strongly.

Head positioning and gaze can be a controversial topic I guess, but imho looking at the ground is a bad idea. The head should be back and in a neutral position and the gaze (again, imho) should be straight ahead or aimed at a fixed point slightly higher than eye level.

It looks strong to me. Not a challenging weight for you. But, reps are inconsistent and like Steve said, depth is questionable on most reps.

I would work on your set up - make sure your chest is OUT and you are hitting a back double biceps pose and resting the bar on top of the delts strongly.

Head positioning and gaze can be a controversial topic I guess, but imho looking at the ground is a bad idea. The head should be back and in a neutral position and the gaze (again, imho) should be straight ahead or aimed at a fixed point slightly higher than eye level.
+1 from me as regards your comments, @Boris Bachmann.

-S-

Your squat depth is questionable
When I watched my video. I felt the same. I could go down an inch or two on some reps. I was aiming for my hip crease to be just below the kneel level.

It would be good to see your deep goblet squat.
On a more vertical posture I can go deeper. I have no issues here. I will post one soon.

It looks strong to me. Not a challenging weight for you
Yes. But I bet it will be in a few weeks :) I had not done much squats before. So light weights gives me a chance to fix my form.

But, reps are inconsistent and like Steve said, depth is questionable on most reps.
I can see that. I will work on them next time.

I'd say your hips are leading a bit. It would be interesting to see a heavier weight and lower reps.
I think these may be due to the fact that I am trying to do them in a way Starting Strength teaches (not saying I am doing them correctly still); certainly the positioning of the bar and the leading with the hips part.

I will look work on the posture, gaze at the top, squat depth and rep consistency. I have to grip the wide on the bar, I think due to my shoulder mobility or lack there of, or is it the length of my arms, I am not sure. But it used to be uncomfortable, but now they are not.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

It would be good to see your deep goblet squat.
On a more vertical posture I can go deeper. I have no issues here. I will post one soon.
Please do - there are often things we can see in the goblet squat, even if the depth is good, that can point to potential problems with a heavier squat.

I was aiming for my hip crease to be just below the kneel level.

There are a lot of ways to approach a squat session. I cannot say for sure what's best for you, but I think I can give you an overview of two different approaches and tell you which I use and why:

One approach is to make every rep as much the same as every other rep. This is not my preferred approach early in a training cycle.

An alternative is to take your earlier squats on any training day that's not near a competition or max test, and perform them with lighter weights, much deeper than competition, just below parallel depth, and more speed of execution. This is what I prefer. I start with light weights, maximum depth, and quick speed, and as I move through my session, the weights get heavier, the depth gets less, and the movement speed slows down. I do these things because, frankly, I'm not much of a squatter and I feel like I benefit from this approach. That said, as a competition or max test grows closer, I do less warming up and more of a competition style squat in order to have the time to hone that groove and be ready to use it on test day.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Please do - there are often things we can see in the goblet squat, even if the depth is good, that can point to potential problems with a heavier squat.
I certainly will post a video of that! I hadn't done goblet squat (or any KB or BB, or any exercises :(:oops:) in a while.

One approach is to make every rep as much the same as every other rep. This is not my preferred approach early in a training cycle.

An alternative is to take your earlier squats on any training day that's not near a competition or max test, and perform them with lighter weights, much deeper than competition, just below parallel depth, and more speed of execution. This is what I prefer. I start with light weights, maximum depth, and quick speed, and as I move through my session, the weights get heavier, the depth gets less, and the movement speed slows down. I do these things because, frankly, I'm not much of a squatter and I feel like I benefit from this approach. That said, as a competition or max test grows closer, I do less warming up and more of a competition style squat in order to have the time to hone that groove and be ready to use it on test day.
Interesting. I am not much of squat person either. I have done three or four years of regular DL (since you introduced it to me! and thankful for that) but squats barely a few sets ever; I tried to start them but my shoulders always pained bad. So I am learning them too. I will try to play with the ideas you shared, Steve. Thanks!

Back to training after a gap of couple of years. Here is a set of LBSQ (12 reps with 110lbs) for your critique. 12 reps because this is AMRAP set from GreysSkull LP program that I chose as a practice for now.

Thanks!

A bit of a side question, but: why did you choose low bar squats? Is it part of the GreySkull program?

IMO, at this point in time, you should be trying to find your natural squatting pattern.
Low bar isn't natural for most people, and from what you say below, it isn't for you either:

I hadn't squatted regularly in about 15 years until about a year ago.
I was able to find my natural squat stance (width, toe angle, etc.) by doing 100 bodyweight squats first thing every morning for MONTHS.
I did high rep back squats during my strength training (Super Squats style)
It worked really well.

Higher reps work incredibly well for this - and you'll get much stronger and much larger* in the process.

Loading an aberrant pattern (which it looks like you're doing here) is a really bad idea - I speak from experience.

*provided you want to & eat accordingly

IMO, at this point in time, you should be trying to find your natural squatting pattern.
Low bar isn't natural for most people, and from what you say below, it isn't for you either:
Kyle, I haven't heard the expression "natural squatting pattern" used before - I wasn't aware that such a thing existed and I'm not sure it does. I know I squat every which way* and I wouldn't say that one of them feels more natural or not.

* - bodyweight heels down, bodyweight on toes, goblet, one-legged with weight, one-legged without weight, barbell front, barbell high bar, barbell low bar, overhead (although only with very light weights as I can't really do this one yet very well)

-S-

RE: leading with the hips etc.

At a heavier load leading with the hips and having a flexed neck and t-spine will not work out well. IMO

You want to lock in a better head and "chest/t-spine" position so you can drive your traps into the bar on the accent.

Kyle, I haven't heard the expression "natural squatting pattern" used before - I wasn't aware that such a thing existed and I'm not sure it does. I know I squat every which way* and I wouldn't say that one of them feels more natural or not.

* - bodyweight heels down, bodyweight on toes, goblet, one-legged with weight, one-legged without weight, barbell front, barbell high bar, barbell low bar, overhead (although only with very light weights as I can't really do this one yet very well)

-S-

Of course natural patterns exist lol.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was saying:
Each person has natural motor patterning they perform best in based on a plethora of variables.
This is seen in all movements from squatting to running to striking etc.

That the way you squat is individual to you, and each person should spend time finding how they squat before trying to load it heavily.

I don't think you are arguing against this?

Last edited:
A bit of a side question, but: why did you choose low bar squats? Is it part of the GreySkull program?
No, I don't think it is part of the program. I chose it only because I found instructions for it free and abundant online (Starting Strength).

I used Dr. McGill's method to find a comfortable stance. The video is online somewhere. I think to find what is perfect for my body will take years? I have deadlifted a few years and still does not know what works best for me. Perhaps it is me not not paying attention to such minute details.

I hadn't squatted regularly in about 15 years until about a year ago.
I was able to find my natural squat stance (width, toe angle, etc.) by doing 100 bodyweight squats first thing every morning for MONTHS.
I did high rep back squats during my strength training (Super Squats style)
It worked really well.
This takes patience! Kudos to you. Wow.

Higher reps work incredibly well for this - and you'll get much stronger and much larger* in the process.

Loading an aberrant pattern (which it looks like you're doing here) is a really bad idea - I speak from experience.

*provided you want to & eat accordingly
I turned 50 last month. So strength and health is my priorities not size or big weight numbers. So certainly I can see myself doing high bar squat with more depth for good health.

RE: leading with the hips etc.

At a heavier load leading with the hips and having a flexed neck and t-spine will not work out well. IMO

You want to lock in a better head and "chest/t-spine" position so you can drive your traps into the bar on the accent.
Thanks! I will try to fix this next time.

Of course natural patterns exist lol.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was saying:
Each person has natural motor patterning they perform best in based on a plethora of variables.
This is seen in all movements from squatting to running to striking etc.

That the way you squat is individual to you, and each person should spend time finding how they squat before trying to load it heavily.

I don't think you are arguing against this?

But the way we squat bodyweight is not the way we squat with a load. Not to say a really heavy load.

We do have favorable leverages etc. but I think they're best learned by doing lots of training on different (barbell) squats and after years, finding out what's really best for you. Something may be easier to recover from, something better for muscle building, something better for your powerlifting total, etc. No reason to paint everything with a single brush.

If you have bad shoulders and you aren't a powerlifter or interested in being one, my suggestion would be to do high bar instead. Also, regardless of whether you do high or low bar positioning, having a "false grip" (thumbless grip) on the bar will likely relieve a little pressure on your shoulders and wrists.

... I think to find what is perfect for my body will take years? I have deadlifted a few years and still does not know what works best for me. Perhaps it is me not not paying attention to such minute details.

It doesn't take years - it takes repetition. Repetition is the mother of skill.
If you've been deadlifting for a few years & still don't know what works best for you, then something has gone wrong.
It should be near automated at this point - not something you think about.
You likely need more frequency.

This takes patience! Kudos to you. Wow.

I turned 50 last month. So strength and health is my priorities not size or big weight numbers. So certainly I can see myself doing high bar squat with more depth for good health.

Thanks! But it just took a couple minutes each morning. Consistency is key.
I'd really look into Tim Andersons stuff (Original Strength) with regards to restoring your squat pattern.
Then start loading it.

Good luck in your journey.

edit: also, you look awesome for 50! I thought you were about 28 lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom