all posts post new thread

Luis’ Training Log

Friday, May 3.

Force recon inspired training.

24kg 10 minutes 1A Cl+J 40 total. Started too fast. I was able to get a good pace after a few minutes.
3+3 OTM *10 minutes step back lunges with kb in rack + goblet squats. 30 each
10+10 snatches with jogging uphill. 60 total snatches.

Saturday May 4th

2*(2,3,5,10) 24k 1A kb MP

Last edited:
Well I would say the snatch test plan worked. I was able to pass the snatch test and 1/2 bw press this morning. Thank you again for that plan. I’d say it works!
@Luis T. Gonzalez — Thanks for the update! That is AWESOME!!! It was all YOU — you worked the plan! And I like how you also listened to your body and made some tweaks to the plan along the way. That's how training plans work — there is room in the margins to personalize it. One could argue that we must personalize our training plans a bit, to make them work for us.

Any fun new learnings or key takeaways from the SFG2? I hope you had a great time and made some new strong friends!

Super strong work! The snatch test is no joke, especially when you have to pass 12 other tests on the same weekend! You crushed it!!

rock.gif

@Luis T. Gonzalez — Thanks for the update! That is AWESOME!!! It was all YOU — you worked the plan! And I like how you also listened to your body and made some tweaks to the plan along the way. That's how training plans work — there is room in the margins to personalize it. One could argue that we must personalize our training plans a bit, to make them work for us.

Any fun new learnings or key takeaways from the SFG2? I hope you had a great time and made some new strong friends!

Super strong work! The snatch test is no joke, especially when you have to pass 12 other tests on the same weekend! You crushed it!!

View attachment 24810
@Catherine Buck Le ironically all the tests felt easy. The windmill was my biggest challenge. It’s so weird that I sweated most during mobility than other things but I guess that’s my body telling me that may be a weakness. My biggest take away from the cert came from my training partner who I was inspired by. He recommended that I put strength on maintenance to work on my conditioning. He was a highly successful track and field athlete. Working with him made me realize how important a training partner is. The certification weekend was different to me. It seemed very laid back compared to the level 1 certification and I guess it emphasized to me how important my personal training is and put the responsibility back on my shoulders to have the ability to take what I’ve learned and benefit others with the knowledge I have. And most of all to keep in mind one question. What will I be able to do when I’m 70? Thank you again for all your help!

@Catherine Buck Le ironically all the tests felt easy. The windmill was my biggest challenge. It’s so weird that I sweated most during mobility than other things but I guess that’s my body telling me that may be a weakness. My biggest take away from the cert came from my training partner who I was inspired by. He recommended that I put strength on maintenance to work on my conditioning. He was a highly successful track and field athlete. Working with him made me realize how important a training partner is. The certification weekend was different to me. It seemed very laid back compared to the level 1 certification and I guess it emphasized to me how important my personal training is and put the responsibility back on my shoulders to have the ability to take what I’ve learned and benefit others with the knowledge I have. And most of all to keep in mind one question. What will I be able to do when I’m 70? Thank you again for all your help!
That's really funny about the mobility. About 15 years ago I took a Saturday morning yoga class on base, figuring how hard could it be. It was hard, like really hard! I must have looked like a butt-clown to all these flexible people.

That's really funny about the mobility. About 15 years ago I took a Saturday morning yoga class on base, figuring how hard could it be. It was hard, like really hard! I must have looked like a butt-clown to all these flexible people.
I feel that. I was literally pouring sweat during the mobility stuff and I looked around and no one looked like they had a single drop haha. We were reminded over and over that stretching helps to take the brakes off of your strength. So if you are tight in an area, then your body is basically going to work against itself like you are adding bands to a lift. If you can be a little more mobile then you might make a pr just from “taking the brakes” off your strength.

Tuesday, May 7.

Morning:

light stretching and 3x3 1A KB military press 40kg

Evening:
-Weighted pull-ups -5x5
-Alternate the pull-ups with cleans and presses -2x28kg KBs, also 5x5
I broke up the 5x5 supersets so I didn’t crush my soul on day 1. (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1)
-Rock bottom front squats with a one-second pause -2x32kg KBs -5x5
I rested 1.5 minutes between front squat sets. And I took a ten minute rest before the snatches.

For the snatches and hanging leg raises I performed (5,4,3,2,1) both right and left hand. Followed by 3 hanging leg raises for five sets.
30 snatches and 15 hanging leg raises.

-Snatch with a 32kg KB -5 sets, hard but not to failure
-Alternate the snatches with strict hanging leg raises -5 sets

Performed 135 watts for five minutes on the echo bike for 3 rounds. Five minutes on five minutes off.

Last edited:

Love all of this!

That is the perfect question:
What will I be able to do when I'm 70?
And 80?
And 90?

Our StrongFirst system has a lot of built-in wisdom regarding this question, and optimizing for our longevity. My two other favorite authors / books on the subject of longevity are:

Young Forever: The Secrets to Living Your Longest, Healthiest Life
by Dr. Mark Hyman MD

Amazon.com
This one nails it with regards to what to eat, what not to eat, and why. And he's not too far off when it comes to how to move. You can ignore some of the latter chapters about woo-woo crazy stuff like blood replacement therapy… ROFL

Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity
by Dr. Peter Attia MD

Amazon.com
You've probably already read this one because I feel like everyone has read Attia's work. But in case you haven't, here you go! It's science-y but fascinating. Plus, he’s a great storyteller.

I hope you're still riding the high of crushing the SFG2!!

Thursday, May 9.
I'm fasting a bit today. I have been reading through Geoff Neupert's, "Kettlebell Burn Extreme." One of the staples in the book is a 36 hour fast once per week immediately after your "cheat" day. I remembered hour much I used to fast for nearly 15 years. During that time frame, I would fast 1-2x per week and generally felt really good after about 4 days of fasting. In general, I would fast roughly 18 hours with an 6-8ish hour window for eating. I have never fasted more than about 18 hours but I know from experience how well it works and good and strong I felt. Today, I'm just going to move, drink water, and maybe lift a little after work. Here is a video I found to be very insightful: In the video the doctor basically recommends a couple weeks of 2 meals per day, then go to 2 weeks with just one meal at dinner and you have 2 meals on the weekends, then you graduate to 1x per week with a 36 hour fast where you just skip your normal dinner and wake up the next morning for a breakfast meal.

Thursday, May 9.
I'm fasting a bit today. I have been reading through Geoff Neupert's, "Kettlebell Burn Extreme." One of the staples in the book is a 36 hour fast once per week immediately after your "cheat" day. I remembered hour much I used to fast for nearly 15 years. During that time frame, I would fast 1-2x per week and generally felt really good after about 4 days of fasting. In general, I would fast roughly 18 hours with an 6-8ish hour window for eating. I have never fasted more than about 18 hours but I know from experience how well it works and good and strong I felt. Today, I'm just going to move, drink water, and maybe lift a little after work. Here is a video I found to be very insightful: In the video the doctor basically recommends a couple weeks of 2 meals per day, then go to 2 weeks with just one meal at dinner and you have 2 meals on the weekends, then you graduate to 1x per week with a 36 hour fast where you just skip your normal dinner and wake up the next morning for a breakfast meal.

Fasting for 36 hours every week would be amazing. Some immediate benefits would be improved insulin sensitivity and metabolic flexibility.
My experience is that improved insulin sensitivity means more muscle and less fat at the same bodyweight.

Back
Top Bottom