all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Movies portraying fitness?

Kind of a fun thread. Some coworkers and I were talking about movies and documentaries regarding fitness, be it based on a true story, comedy or a straight documentary. I have a handful or ultrarunning, ultracycling and climbing DVD's I've obtained over the years. Have seen Pumping Iron a few times. Pain & Gain still makes me laugh, even though based on a true story. I've watched a few ruck challenges on YouTube.

Name your favorites.
2008's Never Back Down readily comes to mind.

This is a great look at steroids in sports.

Westside vs The World is one of the best powerlifting movies to come out in quite a long time. Home | westsidevstheworld

everything from Bruce Lee
No Retreat, No Surrender: probably the only movie with Van Damme in the villian role (not counting his double roles as villian and hero)
Karate Kid movies and Cobra Kai
Best of the Best: the first one, with Darth Vader himself,
Return of the Jedi: Luke's training under Master Yoda
any and every Jackie Chan and Jet Li Movie
any Shaolin Temple movie
any kung fu move with the Dirty Old Bastard
any movie mentioned in a Wu Tang Clan song/interview
Balls of Fury
Shaolin Socccer
There are many Asian movies/series on netflix. I really enjoyed the Monkey Twins (Thai with Eng. subtitles)
Bend it like Bekham
I've not yet watched King Richard, it's on my list.
I don't know when last I saw a Chuck Norris or Arnie or non-Rocky Stallone movie. I need to go back in time to refresh myself:)

eish, this is the tip of the iceberg:) I watch some of these on repeat when I need to re-motivate myself and again when I'm fully motivated:) it was Rocky 3 last week with Hulk Hogan vs Rocky as my fav scene for that day

So many martial arts movies have been mentioned. For those of us of a certain age, the television series, "Kung Fu" with David Carradine was our introduction.

-S-

So many martial arts movies have been mentioned. For those of us of a certain age, the television series, "Kung Fu" with David Carradine was our introduction.

-S-
Kung Fu: The Legend Continues came a few years later with David Carradine and also had some interesting training. However I don't think anyone who watched KFtLC believed the training scenes were based on anything that came outside of a writer's room.

Back
Top Bottom