all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Muscle imbalance form Simple and Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Pavel Macek I've dipped in and out of your training log before, really enjoy visiting it. You're not much bigger than myself then, I'm 174cm and about 65kg right now (haven't weighed myself in a while). Gives me great motivation to keep progressing with a view to conquer the heavier bells - those are big weights that I can't even begin to handle right now (I'm on the 24 for both exercises, but will be introducing the 32 to the TGUs when the damn thing arrives in the post! Hopefully the next day or two).
Is it normal that my TGU has progressed faster than my swings (it used to be the weaker of the two for me, but not anymore), as I notice you're swinging heavier than your get-up and have seen a few cases of this across the forum? Might that be down to body type or something? Maybe my upper body is proportionately stronger than my lower body... more muscular strength than cardiovascular endurance... psychological aspects (the get-up is the bit I look forward to the most about the session)... something else..?

@Harry Westgate I actually gained 2-4 kg on S&S, usually I am around 66-68 kg.

As for GU/swing progress - individual. e.g., my GU progress is a bit slower than I expected, my swing progress much faster than I expected. Don't worry, and practice your S&S.

@Harry Westgate, I keep those kinds of numbers as well with no pullup practice. I don't mean to take anything away from @Pavel Macek, but most people should be able to crank out at least 10.

I will repeat my oft-told pullup story here - when I first began strength training with PTTP, I could do 2 pullup; when I tested a few month later, having only done PTTP by the book and no pullups, I got 12. @Pavel Macek and I are about the same height and weight. As I look at our two pictures on the left side of my screen, I must say that I am the snappier dresser, however. ;)

-S-

@Pavel Macek Would you say said 2-4kg was pretty lean mass? Obviously I know that should I gain/lose any weight it'll be largely down to diet, but still, it's good to hear from individual experience!
As for what you say about progress being very individual, I totally understand, my swings have progressed a little slower than I expected, while my TGUs have gone from zero to hero in that I was initially scared of them just using a 16kg bell, but now I can do the 10 reps with the 24kg in just under 8 minutes (last time I tested - about two weeks ago now) like it's a toy.

@Steve Freides That's interesting to hear, it seems that pull-ups respond well to non-specific training (at least when training hinge movements to a high level). Having given it some thought, I think I might continue with my 2/3 days a week of ES pull-ups at least for the time being, since it's an exercise that I do enjoy and it'll act as a good springboard for some of my other long term/secondary strength/fitness goals.
Oh, and as for your comment about dress sense... I can't argue with that. No offence Pavel! ;) Hahahaha.

@Harry Westgate, I keep those kinds of numbers as well with no pullup practice. I don't mean to take anything away from @Pavel Macek, but most people should be able to crank out at least 10.

I will repeat my oft-told pullup story here - when I first began strength training with PTTP, I could do 2 pullup; when I tested a few month later, having only done PTTP by the book and no pullups, I got 12. @Pavel Macek and I are about the same height and weight. As I look at our two pictures on the left side of my screen, I must say that I am the snappier dresser, however. ;)

-S-

I have done exactly one pull-up in my entire life.

The next time I attempt a pull-up will be when I reach Simple.

I'll let you know how that comes out.

@Lew you remember! Thank you. My wrists are awesome, no pain, not bothering me at all. I am still wearing the wrist band when I do TGUs and C&Ps, this is more for the bell to rest on my wrist. I have long but thin hands, I think. Some bells does not rest well. So, I am being very careful.

Reactions: Lew
Guys, there's actually one more thing I wonder about.

Some of you seem to have already reached S & S goals.

Once this is done and either simple or sinister goal is achieved is there any recommended progression ? Is it that one can just go on doing S & S for the rest of their life with the same heavy weight and just maintain that 36 or 48 kg KB, or should they add some other routine to it...for example 2days S & S + xDays something else a week ?

Thank you, I'm just interested...;)

Guys, there's actually one more thing I wonder about.

Some of you seem to have already reached S & S goals.

Once this is done and either simple or sinister goal is achieved is there any recommended progression ? Is it that one can just go on doing S & S for the rest of their life with the same heavy weight and just maintain that 36 or 48 kg KB, or should they add some other routine to it...for example 2days S & S + xDays something else a week ?

Thank you, I'm just interested...;)

great write-up by master Dan John! “things are going so well, help me screw it up!” part 2 - StrongFirst

Thank you Stefan, it's really a good article, I just read it and it basically gives a hint of how to progress once your simple goal's reached ;)

hmm, I don't think I've ever noticed my pullup numbers improving from not doing any while doing other workouts like ROP, PttP, or other programs. For me my pullups numbers really go down if I don't practice them. Now I've never achieved a super high level at pullups. 10-12 strict is about the best I've ever done. When doing simple strength I achieved a weighted +35kg single rep that was crisp. I think that was neutral grip at the time. Basically, I find I need to keep doing them even in low numbers to maintain my groove or I feel really "ungreased" when I try them and my numbers are low. Of course they come back fairly quickly.

So I wonder do some people just respond differently to pullups? Or is it that you increased you ability to create muscular tension/control which allowed and increase in pullup numbers. I can also see the layoff principle helping as well. ie. you worked pullups for a long time, stopped them while doing another program which indirectly strengthens the muscles involved, then came back to pullups and it all gelled for you? Or maybe a raw beginner who really had no lat strength or control does deadlifts for a while and gains those attributes and then comes back to pullups and suddenly find he can do them because now he has lat strength and grip strength that he didn't before.

@James Whitmore, the key lies in using your lats properly in your press, in performing an active negative in the press as well, and in using them when you deadlift. A raw beginner who uses his lats in his deadlift and in his press will almost certainly see improvements in his pullups - this has been my experience. And, yes, grip strength as well.

-S-

@Lew you remember! Thank you. My wrists are awesome, no pain, not bothering me at all. I am still wearing the wrist band when I do TGUs and C&Ps, this is more for the bell to rest on my wrist. I have long but thin hands, I think. Some bells does not rest well. So, I am being very careful.

Awesome!

Whatever it takes...

Keep swinging!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom